Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted

Where?

Sorry! Should have said "where please?" Didn't mean to appear abrupt or disbelieving. :blush:

Going by all that steam, up top. I wasn't being literal! If it stays clear tonight tho' it should be interesting.

Something to watch - above the split rock is an arch of ice (I think). Wonder how long that will last...

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Going by all that steam, up top. I wasn't being literal! If it stays clear tonight tho' it should be interesting.

Oh I really hope it stays clear at least up top tonight, I am getting edgy with all the cloud at night. I miss my light show.

Looking at the Thorolfsfelli cam I can see bluish steam and really white steam coming down the glacier. I am wondering if the bluish steam marks the extent of the lava and the white is just the hot water melt.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

It's only when you look at this cam: http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/vefmyndeyjafjalmulaen.html that you see how far the melt/lava has actually travelled. Front on it is all foreshortened.

Hvol cam is clearing now: http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

It's only when you look at this cam: http://www.simnet.is...fjalmulaen.html that you see how far the melt/lava has actually travelled. Front on it is all foreshortened.

Hvol cam is clearing now: http://eldgos.mila.i...-thorolfsfelli/

That Hvol can in my opinion gives a better indication of the distance. If the black plume is the originating point of the lava then it really has traveled miles!

Surely can't be that long now until the steam reaches the end I reckon. So much fun to watch! Well I reckon so anyway.

Posted

Steam production seems to have increased a lot.

Yes, which is good because it is steam cleaning some of that ash off the lower slopes.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looks like activity is picking up again the ash plume getting more impressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

She's going great guns.

As for a hot summer cold winter unless a new eruption starts and is much bigger there will be no effect on the climate.

Yes about 100 times, but its a start

Hot summer, cold winter fine by me

Posted

Looks like activity is picking up again the ash plume getting more impressive.

I quite agree on that, and am I the only one hoping the airlines will be sensible about any increase in ash levels? I have very good friends flying Monday and I know they would sooner stay on the ground if there is any risk at all.

Yet another relatively shallow earthquake in the area.

Tuesday

04.05.2010 Time 16:35:23, Latitude 63.696, Longitude -19.7051. Depth 1 km, Magnitude 1.3, Quality 47.43, location 11.2 km W of Básar.

The tremor chart though is struggling to creep upwards, and the steam on the Thorolfsfelli cam is struggling to creep downwards. :)

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Tourists back again - one has rather interesting shorts on and a couple of white sticks coming out the bottom of them.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Tourists back again - one has rather interesting shorts on and a couple of white sticks coming out the bottom of them.

lol, i got it zoom and those really knock you out lol

Posted

Yes, put me off my afternoon snack that did.... :)

lol, looked like he enjoyed his cup of tea!!!!

amazing views nows now vodaphone

Edited by kerensa265

Posted

He made a call as well, I think.

yes he did and even had a laugh!!!! so funny watching the tourists!

Posted

I quite agree on that, and am I the only one hoping the airlines will be sensible about any increase in ash levels? I have very good friends flying Monday and I know they would sooner stay on the ground if there is any risk at all.

I suspect JohnH is also hoping they'll be sensible.

Just switched to full screen and saw a volcanic bomb leave the crater. I wonder how big it was in size considering the distance we're watching from. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/

The lady looks a little upset this evening has her boyfriend turned her down. The plume of anger is getting steadily larger. Can't be long before the Glacier gives way as well.

Tremor on the way back up as well.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

That lower steam cloud now appears to spread the width of the glacier. I am wondering if this could mean that the lava is spreading across the ice there or alternatively that the meltwater is damming up there. The later appears more likely to me as the flow out below has been a lot less today. Interesting to watch the next few hours in that area anyway.

And yet another earthquake under the volcano. 12.4 km deep and 2.2 magnitude. The last swarm like this was just before it initially erupted but what does this mean now as she is already still erupting. A bit worrying in my opinion.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I like the pretty whispy clouds that have appeared - like draped veils.

Yes, stunning aren't they? They look static in contrast to the constantly rising plume!

Karyo

Posted

I like the pretty whispy clouds that have appeared - like draped veils.

Are you a poet LadyP? You certainly have a poetic turn of phrase.

Any guesses on the meaning of this increase in earthquakes? Or is it like peering into a crystal ball?

Posted

Yup - this old girl manages to surprise me every day...

Are you a poet LadyP? You certainly have a poetic turn of phrase.

Any guesses on the meaning of this increase in earthquakes? Or is it like peering into a crystal ball?

Nope - geologist! Although I have been known to paint & I take photos for fun.

Your guess is as good as mine, even the experts are saying nowt. Earthquake in the caldera now - I suspect things might get interesting (well, even more interesting!). No idea on timescale tho'. Just need to watch for shallowing of the eqs - they all seem to be bobbing about a median line depth at the moment.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=map

Posted

Ah well fog stops play damn.