Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Here we go again. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8661096.stm Ash cloud back over us again.

post-2404-12730017931493_thumb.png

Posted

It miraculously avoids France & Spain (& the London airports) by curving round - amazing!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

It miraculously avoids France & Spain (& the London airports) by curving round - amazing!

Yes for now, but if this carrys on spewing ash like it is, and with something happening deep down with these tremmors i think its a matter of time before England is on a temporary no fly zone again.

Posted

I would say that's more to do with the wind direction rather than the fear of BA and France. Plenty more ash to come if it doesn't quieten down and with the winds seemingly to be set in that direction as a source it could be another prolonged problem.

Posted

I would have/should have added a winky smilie after my last post, but I hate the way the usual wink smilie ; ) turns into a mad gimpy fool on this site - :lol: and I can never remember what the winky smilie actually is here.

buggeration. there go my chances of a quick exit after the tories get in.

I think you stand a better chance than if GB gets back in - fewer people wanting to escape then.

Posted

From post 295 here: http://scienceblogs.com/eruptions/2010/05/eyjafjallajokull_update_for_53.php#comments

Iceland Met office update:

Assessment 04 May 2010 19:00

Plume was observed at 5.8-6 km height (19-20,000 ft) estimated from the Icelandic Coast Guard (ICG) flight at 10:40 and 15:30 GMT. It is heading east-south-east to south-east from the eruption site. Plume track clearly visible up to 300-400 km distance from the eruption site on a NOAA satellite image at 13:13 GMT.

Water levels have been rather constant. Water temperature at Markarfljot bridge was low this morning (below 2°C) but seems to be rising (about 5°C at noon). Water level seems to be slightly decreasing.

Lava is still flowing northwards, forming a lava fall down the steep hill under Gígjökull, about 4 km north of the crater. Blue gas is seen rising from the lava and white steam plumes are seen somewhat lower and mark the front of the lava stream. The size of the eruptive crater is 280 x 190 m. Lava splashes are thrown at least a few hundred meters into the air.

Overall assessment is that it is more explosive activity and ash production than was observed yesterday. Progression of the lava seems to be slower than yesterday.

Presently there are no indications that the eruption is about to end. No measurable geophysical changes within the Katla volcano.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

From post 295 here: http://scienceblogs....53.php#comments

Iceland Met office update:

Lava is still flowing northwards, forming a lava fall down the steep hill under Gígjökull, about 4 km north of the crater. Blue gas is seen rising from the lava and white steam plumes are seen somewhat lower and mark the front of the lava stream. The size of the eruptive crater is 280 x 190 m. Lava splashes are thrown at least a few hundred meters into the air.

Thanks for that info, it confirms what I suspected earlier about the difference in colour of steam down the glacier. Annoying the lava flow has slowed down though. I was hoping to see something on the cams tonight bit it isn't looking hopeful at the mo.

22:00pm And yet another quake right on target!!! 25 now.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Steam cloud really getting going again at the moment. Perhaps another new lava flow coming down?

Someone on another blog was saying the Icelanders are warning of a possibility of a pyroclastic flow. I wonder if the recent earthquakes have increased the chance?

To qoute their words: "On the evening news they warned of the danger of pyroclastic flows."

Another person wrote:-

For some reason they have now started to warn of pyroclastic flow coming from Eyjafjallajökli. I guess there have been enough changes on the ash plume to warrant that warning.

This is a general warning only. But it is directed to Gígjökull (where the steam comes from) mostly. But they do not exclude other areas. But the area is ban zone at the moment and nobody is allowed to travel there.

Posted by: Jón Frímann

Comment on (my) bold type, Whoopee, no more silly tourists on the cam!

Oh dear. Thorolsfelli cam, cloud above, cloud below and steam cloud in between.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

The latest plume charts look horrendous for anyone flying out of UK this week. My parents are off to Oslo Thursday from bristol. Returning 12th may and then 15th off to Iceland.

I have posted the latest animation on my site, the norwegian charts which go a little further ahead in time than the UK Met.

No sign of volcano slowing down, i would expect good days and bad for a while in respect of intensity of eruptions and then flight disruption to continue when ever wind conditions ( upper and middle level) coincide with intensity.

Posted

anyone have any ideas about Friday flights from Heathrow...suppose to be flying...

havent had time to catch up on the latest on the plume :whistling:

Posted

Gaps in the clouds occassionally reveal some nice explosions in this camera: http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

While this one http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ shows where the lava flow is

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

Gaps in the clouds occassionally reveal some nice explosions in this camera: http://eldgos.mila.i...-thorolfsfelli/

While this one http://eldgos.mila.i...fimmvorduhalsi/ shows where the lava flow is

Karyo

Great pictures aren't they. No sleep for a while until the clouds return! :whistling: Fantastic to see the lava is as far as the steam clouds are showing. Surely it has to reach the bottom tomorrow!

Posted

Great pictures aren't they. No sleep for a while until the clouds return! :whistling: Fantastic to see the lava is as far as the steam clouds are showing. Surely it has to reach the bottom tomorrow!

I just wish the cloud base was a little bit higher!

Posted

I just wish the cloud base was a little bit higher!

I agree. I was just thinking how wonderful it would be to have a clear view from the eruption on the top down to the furthest reach of the lava flow.

Posted

All misty at the moment — generally, the weather seems to be clearer in the afternoons and evenings.

Posted

anyone have any ideas about Friday flights from Heathrow...suppose to be flying...

havent had time to catch up on the latest on the plume :whistling:

Following the latest updated forecast from the UK Met Office, the CAA can confirm that some airspace over Scotland and Northern Ireland will be closed from 07:00 local time today.

This will mean that from 07:00 until 13:00 local time we expect the following airports to be closed:

Scotland

Glasgow

Prestwick

Inverness

Stornoway

Benbecula

Tiree

Islay

Barra

Campbeltown

Northern Ireland

Derry

Between 13:00 and 19:00 local time we expect the following airports to be closed:

Scotland

Glasgow

Prestwick

Stornoway

Benbecula

Tiree

Islay

Barra

Campbeltown

Northern Ireland

Belfast International

Belfast City

Derry

Current forecasts show that the 60 nautical mile buffer zone imposed around high concentrations of ash may be close to the following airports:

Edinburgh

Carlisle

Blackpool

Liverpool

Manchester

However, based on current forecasts CAA has assessed that these airports can safely remain open, but passengers should check with their airline before travelling to the airport, as the situation is dynamic:

The CAA will provide an update to the situation and the list of airports tomorrow morning when further Met Office forecasts are available.

The situation remains changeable, so passengers expecting to travel tomorrow from airports in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the north of England and North Wales should contact their airlines to check whether their flight is operating.

Based on current forecasts, the CAA does not expect airports in the South East of England to be affected tomorrow.

www.caa.co.uk

Posted

Can't see anything this morning yet again. I presume no change. Tremor has settled down at a lower level but still higher than the first part of eruption.

Either inaccurate reporting by the Beeb from Belfast or some airlines ignoring the no fly zone and flying anyway which seems to be adding to the confusion.

latest ash cloud predicted pos

post-2404-12730454979407_thumb.png

Posted

Two more earthquakes on site today.

This is getting so interesting from the earthquake perspective which is just as well as the visual one is pants!

This lady plays too hard to get hiding in the fog so much, she will lose all her admirers this way.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
Flights from Stansted Airport in Essex are being disrupted for a second successive day because of a volcanic ash cloud over Scotland and Ireland. Airport officials are advising passengers to contact their airlines for flight details before setting out.

Airports in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland have suspended flights. Ryanair flights to Belfast, Derry, Edinburgh and Glasgow Prestwick are cancelled until at least 1400 BST. Flights to Dublin and Knock will be cancelled from 1100 BST until at least 1600 BST and to Cork and Kerry from 1300 BST until at least 1600 BST.

All flights to these airports during these restricted times have been cancelled. Passengers scheduled to travel are advised not to go to the airport, but to change their flight bookings or request refunds.

Airspace over parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland is expected to be closed for up to 12 hours as volcanic ash levels in the atmosphere once again make it unsafe to fly. A Civil Aviation Authority spokesman said: "The UK Met Office has informed the CAA that ash over UK airspace has increased in density as ash emissions from the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajokull have become stronger. "This means the Met Office forecasts of 'No Fly Zone' locations have been extended further south."

news.bbc.co.uk

Posted

Possibly something building up on the "THEY" GPS station with inflation of a few mm over last day. East - West Movement.

Something building up underground?

Is that Lee Cloud coming from Katla or Steam? Looks more like cloud checking 5 mins later.

post-5585-1273051867083_thumb.png

Edited by pyrotech

Posted

Is that Lee Cloud coming from Katla or Steam? Looks more like cloud checking 5 mins later.

That is interesting on the cam. If it is just cloud why would it move along one end but stay fairly constant at the other which is right over Katla?

Perhaps though it is another of those strange steam like clouds that seem to spring up then disappear.

Watching it a bit longer I would suggest just cloud.

Edited by coldfingers