Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Today's Weather

SteveB

A very nice day today, long spells of sunshine and a warm 18.4C. By my calculations that is about 3C above average for May and around 4.5C warmer than average for the start of May.

That's twice in three days that my local area has been the warmest in the UK. It doesn't happen often, believe me!! Although I think it also happened at least once in April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I wouldn't mind this weather continuing for a long time to come. It's above average temperature wise and dry; I can't ask for more than that. I think we've had the best weather in the UK in the west of Scotland quite often recently.

Temperature wise it's 'ok' although definitely nothing special (you don't freeze when out but certainly not warm enough to sit out), dry wise - again no problem there. But the cloud is the problem - we've been getting sunshine early on (which is welcome and makes getting up so much easier) but it rapidly clouds over and stays like that all day. Almost like a reverse easterly where it starts dull and (if you're lucky) it clears later in the day.

14.5c the max now 13.8c. Very unremarkable!

Temperature wise it's 'ok' although definitely nothing special (you don't freeze when out but certainly not warm enough to sit out), dry wise - again no problem there. But the cloud is the problem - we've been getting sunshine early on (which is welcome and makes getting up so much easier) but it rapidly clouds over and stays like that all day. Almost like a reverse easterly where it starts dull and (if you're lucky) it clears later in the day.

14.5c the max now 13.8c. Very unremarkable!

In all honesty if the weather was like it was today for a good few weeks over summer time we'd be happy here. I don't find the air temperature too important at this time of year providing the sun is out and you have a wind break. As you say it's the cloud that is the problem. Without the sun 15C does not feel too warm. Monday was a good example of that here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

But without the cloud and temps of only 15c it might be lovely around lunchtime but by going home/pub time it's getting nippy so it's only really any good at weekends. That's fine for early/mid spring or autumn but in high summer I want my evenings back!