Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Surviving Snow Patches

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The Ochills patches facing South West are still visible from the A9 nea Stirling today though the biggest looks ready to split in two. Not much visible looking West though one large patch can be seen on Stuc a Chroin [i think]. Further up large patches still on the Southern slopes of Ben Chonzie, Norh of Crieff. Looking East from Cairnie Brae there looks like one patch facing West in the North of the Ochills though I couldn't be sure because of the haze. Temps in Dundee got to 18.5C today so there will be some increased melting now I would think.

Posted

Ochils now clear of any remaining snow. Still some paths further north around Crieff etc, but feel this weekend may have removed quite a lot of minor patches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Not much life left in the Cross Fell patches now.

post-717-12746995487969_thumb.jpg

It's amazing there's any snow left at all given the recent weather. I can't imagine how deep the original cover must have been to have lasted so long.

Posted

I've never seen Pennine snow last this late although perhaps some could often be found in a deep north facing gill.

That is still a substantial area to be visible from some distance and right out in the open.

Presumably the great winters of 47 and 63 would have had drifts remaining very late.

Somewhere there must be at least anecdotal evidence of snow surviving until mid-summer.

I would think it not impossible that the Pennines could hold patches until Autumn in a cool summer following a winter with storms which put big drifts in just the right places.

Snow showers in Scotland again today...

Posted

I've never seen Pennine snow last this late although perhaps some could often be found in a deep north facing gill.

That is still a substantial area to be visible from some distance and right out in the open.

Presumably the great winters of 47 and 63 would have had drifts remaining very late.

Somewhere there must be at least anecdotal evidence of snow surviving until mid-summer.

I would think it not impossible that the Pennines could hold patches until Autumn in a cool summer following a winter with storms which put big drifts in just the right places.

Snow laid on Cross Fell into 3rd week of June in 1996. Further back snow drifts on Cross Fell into July in 1979. 1979 depths were in different league to this winter.

Mark

Only way up on the highest peaks I would think 4wd :D

I saw a snow patch today at about 1,500ft on the south facing side of Ben Lomond (I wasn't actually up there, but you can see Ben Lomond from near where I live). Quite unusual to see snow there at this time of year.

Posted

It's amazing there's any snow left at all given the recent weather. I can't imagine how deep the original cover must have been to have lasted so long.

I took a photo back in January of an "avalanche" at the bottom of Murton Pike, and a farmer who walked by it a few days later estimated the snow's depth at at least 10ft. Clearly this had drifted over a hollow in the hillside, but at the top of Cross Fell, in similar landform, it must have greatly exceeded that, especially when you consider it's south-facing.

The latest that snow has been observed in the Pennines in the last 50-years or so was in 1979. A local farmer at Temple Sowerby reported two tiny patches at the head of Crowdundle Beck on the 18th of August that year. In 1951 the snow-patch at the head of Brown Cove, Helvellyn, lasted until the 10th July. However, both these were unusually snowy winters: much more so than this year.

I don't know of any snow that has persisted until Autumn (i.e. after September equinox) in England or Wales. For that sort of date nowadays you'd have to chase high into the hills of the Nevis Range or the Cairngorms.

I saw a snow patch today at about 1,500ft on the south facing side of Ben Lomond (I wasn't actually up there, but you can see Ben Lomond from near where I live). Quite unusual to see snow there at this time of year.

I have never seen the snow persist so long on the south face of Ben Lomond as I have done this year. The last patch vanished on the 22nd or 23rd of May, though some still persist in the north-east corrie.

Also, there are still patches on Carnedd Llewelyn in north Wales.

Posted

The latest that snow has been observed in the Pennines in the last 50-years or so was in 1979. A local farmer at Temple Sowerby reported two tiny patches at the head of Crowdundle Beck on the 18th of August that year. In 1951 the snow-patch at the head of Brown Cove, Helvellyn, lasted until the 10th July. However, both these were unusually snowy winters: much more so than this year.

I don't know of any snow that has persisted until Autumn (i.e. after September equinox) in England or Wales. For that sort of date nowadays you'd have to chase high into the hills of the Nevis Range or the Cairngorms.

I have never seen the snow persist so long on the south face of Ben Lomond as I have done this year. The last patch vanished on the 22nd or 23rd of May, though some still persist in the north-east corrie.

Drove down the M6 through Cumbria again last week and there's still a large, long strip of snow just below the summit of Cross Fell and there were plenty of patches visible in the high peaks between Aberdeen and Perth last week also.

M

The patch on the south face of Ben Lomond was still there yesterday firefly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Also a couple on Snowdon I believe.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Also a couple on Snowdon I believe.

I took a picture of Snowdon & the mountains at the Otherside of Llanberis i think one was Carnedd Llwellyn that had a patch of snow left at the top.

The patch on the south face of Ben Lomond was still there yesterday firefly.

Really? My information was that it had vanished. Do you know if it's still there?

I took a picture of Snowdon & the mountains at the Otherside of Llanberis i think one was Carnedd Llwellyn that had a patch of snow left at the top.

I'd dearly like to see that picture, DS. Can you post it? Thanks.

Really? My information was that it had vanished. Do you know if it's still there?

I was at Luss yesterday and it is still there. I will put up a photo later when I'm on the big computer :unknw:

Photos as promised. It's not very clear but if you squint at it the white blob between the clouds is a snow patch:

post-2844-12752126688515_thumb.jpgpost-2844-1275212678056_thumb.jpg

Posted

Has the snow lasted into June, OON ?

Posted

Yes, been up Crossfell today. Largest remaining patch is on the North side of summit plateaux.

Images on my Flickr site, the snow OON can see is on page two.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41576264@N00/page1/

Mark

Edited by Tucco

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Here are two photos of Cross Fell taken just 10 seconds apart, which clearly shows just how quickly sheep can move.

post-717-12752539273185_thumb.jpg

post-717-12752539344258_thumb.jpg

Did you have your Green Wellies on Oon ????

Posted

Yes, been up Crossfell today. Largest remaining patch is on the North side of summit plateaux.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41576264@N00/page1/

Mark

Thanks for that, Tucco. That drift on the north side must have been immense in January.

Posted

The patch on the southern face was still there yesterday evening....but only just. post-717-12755446301133_thumb.jpg

http://www.flickr.co...6264@N00/page1/

Mark

Now that's dedication because it's bleak up there!

Posted

Still plenty of patches across Central Scotland.

Loch Lomond Shores looking North on Sunday post-2849-1275583911228_thumb.jpg post-2849-12755839364265_thumb.jpg

Broxdean Interchange Perth looking North on Monday post-2849-12755839450687_thumb.jpg

As OON said was on M6 yesterday and patch looking very small, also saw 2 small patches in gullies just down and to the left of the strip at the top on Cross Fell