Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Today's Weather

sunny scunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Cloudy with a gang of showers and a cool North-North-Easterly breeze. A possible chance of hail or sleet should the rain become heavy. The temperature is currenlty around 6*C, which feels a bit more cooler than I thought. smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

It's actually feeling quite warm out there here but a heavy looking shower looming to the west and North west of me, the sun is still out every now and then but there are alot of shower clouds about.

Temperatures around the Island starting from the Highest:

1. Central Newport: 12.2c

2. Wroxall : 11.3c

3. Newport: 10.8c

4. Freshwater: 10.7c

5. Newchurch/ Sandown: 9.6c (my area)

6. Bleaktown: 8.6c

Maximum Temperatures:

1. Newport 13.8c

2. Wroxall: 13.3c

3. Freshwater: 13.1c

4. BleakTown: 11.6c

5. Newchurch/ Sandown: 11.3c

Minimum Temperatures:

1. Wroxall: -1.5c

2. Newport: -0.1c

3. Freshwater: 0.0c

4. BleakTown: 2.0c

5. Newchurch/Sandown: 2.0c

Edit: that shower is missing us to the SW :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Yeah, I was surprised by the low temperature of 6*C even though I was under a light shower, but it does feel warmer than it really is. Would say it feels more like 10*C outside.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Sunny spells, isolated heavy showers, some hail too.

Posted

Grey Cloud

Temp (°C°F) 10°C 50°F

Wind (mph km/h) North Easterly 8mph 13km/h

Humidity: 52%

Pressure: 1015mb, rising

Visibility: Very good

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Clear spells and an air frost last night.

Cloudy with light showers 0530 to 0800, there was probably sleet at first as the temperature then was just 1c.

Sunny spells late morning to mid afternoon, but a very cool day for mid May- even though the north wind was only light to moderate.

Rather cloudy since 1500 with a few light showers.

Min: -0.3c @ 0130

Max: 11.4c @ 1430

Rain yesterday: 0.9mm

Rain since 10am: Trace.

Currently: Brightening up, dry.

Temp: 9.2c

Pressure: 1016mbar, very steady.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Today’s weather

Pressure 1016.2hPa

Current Temp 12.4c

Highest Temp 13.8c

Lowest Temp 3.4c

Humidity 59%

Dewpoint 4.6c

Windchill 9.4c

Min Windchill

Current Windspeed 6.9mph

Max Windspeed 8.9mph

Wind direction ENE

Rain Total 2.0mm

Monthly Rain Total 11.9mm

Posted

I'm in the outskirts Stargazer, it is usually much colder then right in the centre where all the cars and building heat is released overnight. I don't think there is an official station for Reading aside from the University. I can't find anything at all.

It also depends what sensor and where it's position. I have a grounded sensor that measures the air temperature at ground level and a sensor that measures the air temperature from around 15M. It was 2.1c when the 15M sensor was recording -1.6c at around 6ish.

In summer 2006 when the ground sensor is exposed to sunlight it recorded 46c...then the batteries started leaking acid haha.

Yes, I guessed you must be outside the central area - on most nights here it's noticeably milder than at the university. My sensor is at the bottom of the garden about 1m above ground, next to a fence and shielded completely from the sun. I think my minimum readings are reasonable unless there is any significant heat retained by the fence overnight. But the area is all terraced housing close to the town centre and the gardens are small.

Meanwhile - today was mainly dry, sunny in the morning and cloudier in the afternoon with a couple of light showers. Currently mostly cloudy, 10.5 deg C, wind light NE. Today's maximum 13.6, last night's minimum 0.6.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The most significant shower of the day occurred shortly before 0800 g.m.t and was a mixture of sleet, wet snow, small and soft hail. Once this had cleared it was a day of sunny intervals and plenty of distant showers but nothing more than a few brief, light rain showers here which barely amounted to anything. Some cb and large cu to the north and north east as I type so there may be one or two more showers before the day ends.

At 1800 g.m.t;

Temp', 6.5c

Max' today, 8.8c

Min' last night, 1.6c ( 1.3c in the shower after observation time )

Grass min', -1.1c

Rainfall from 0800-1800 g.m.t, 0.1 mm

Sunshine today so far, 2.62 hrs

Mean wind speed, 12 mph N

Highest gust today, 28 mph N at 1245 g.m.t

5 oktas cb, cu and ci

Distant showers falling

Vis', over 80 km.

Posted

There was a maximum temperature of 9.8C in the end, so yet another day here that has failed to reach double figures. Previous to this month, you had to go back to May 2001 to find one.

Another notable aspect of this month is the mean (currently 7.8C). We're running 3.6C below average here, meaning an average in the last 19 days of 13.7C is required already just to reach the 1971-2000 value. That would require some quite warm weather in the second half considering it doesnt look like warming up for a few days yet.

Posted

I think my minimum readings are reasonable unless there is any significant heat retained by the fence overnight. But the area is all terraced housing close to the town centre and the gardens are small.

Ideally the sensor should be 5M from ground level to prevent any biased readings from the ground emitting warmth (which obviously wouldn't count if the ground is covered with snow) It's true bushes don't emit heat as the leaves are always equal to the air temperature, but the branches and trunks themselves do retain warmth unless it's during extreme continuous cold like in January.

While central London is usually warmer then anywhere else and in the countryside (aside from perhaps in a cold NE in May with dull weather London can be equal to it's surrounding area) in those school fields it can get down to similar values to more remote areas or in large public parks.

Posted

It was -4.3C overnight, noticing various frost damage to 'hardy' trees and plants, e.g. opening horse chestnut leaves look rather brown

8.8C max but several brief showers dropped the temp to about 4C several times.

Like last two evenings, it's falling away very fast at sunset, 4.9C now.

Castlebay Isle Of Barra

Outdoor temp 7.6c

Outdoor humidity 69%

Pressure 1013.2mb

Wind direction South West

Wind speed 15mph

Cloud Height 2123ft

Wet Bulb 5.4c

Total rainfall This Month 6.9mm

Dew Point 2.4c

Wind Chill 4.4c

Weather Partly cloudy dry dark

Over The Last 24hours averages and extra details,

Temperature rose 1.3c

Pressure dropped 1.3mb

Humidity dropped 2%

Average wind speed 16mph

Dewpoint rose 0.8c

Average wind direction South West

Moon age 28 days 2%

Sunrise and Sunset 5:23am - 9:32pm

Moonrise and Moonset 4:19am - 8:04pm

Posted

Another very cold start mins of -2 degrees just like last night, not expecting it to be quite as cold this evening but we will see a min of 0 degrees at least, three air frosts in a row is quite notable for May..

Indeed last night was the coldest May night in many places since 1996. I think somewhere in Scotland saw - 6 degrees, and Shap Fell saw -5 degrees.

Somewhere in eastern central england could get down to -4 degrees perhaps Santon Downham.

This is turning into a notably cold start to May here appreciably below average, making it the third month this year to see a very cold first 12 days compared to average the others being Jan and March.

In the main a lovely spring day with lots of sunshine and little wind and milder than yesterday, we actually saw 11 degrees thanks to the lengthy sunny spells. We escaped any showers.

Its another lovely spring evening, love May evenings with the ever increasing light and promise of even longer lighter nights in June - best time of year is now through to about mid July in this respect.

Posted

An airfrost this morning, with a minimum of -0.8C recorded at 5:30am. A heavy shower mixed with soft hail at around 10am. Sunny intervals throughout the day. The Temperature reached 10.0C in mid-afternoon. Current:

Temperature: 6.0C

Humidity: 64%

Dewpoint: -0.3C

Pressure: 1015mb

3.7 hours of sunshine since 9:38am

Light 4 knot wind from the NE

Expecting at least another grass frost tonight and possibly an air frost.