Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

With some renewed ash cloud activity in Iceland and more disruption lightly in Europe this next week, please use this thread to discuss the Eyjafjallajokull volcano.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well, I had a flight going from Heathrow to Amsterdam on Tuesday morning and I'm really starting to think that the trip is off.wallbash.gif

Anyone has ideas/predictions about ash over SE & Holland on Tuesday and therefore my chances of flying, as I may look to other transport?

Posted

Sorry to say this but south east is meant to be worst affected monday/tuesday.....doh! Have to see each day as forecasts need more accuracy.....doh! Not looking promising...

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Every so often a dust devil whirls across in front of the Hvol cam. :good:

Which is about the total viewing at the moment. LOL.

latest vaac from London

post-2404-1274012431695_thumb.png

Edited by The PIT

Posted

I've been following these threads with interest and watching the webcams too - what a great opportunity we have these days, with all this technology, to see a volcano erupting from our armchairs!!!

If this isn't a daft question (and it probably is!).... where does all the ash go??? I mean, the volcano has been sending out ash for some time now and I keep looking at the advisory service predictions, but where is the previous week's ash etc, if you get my meaning? Diluted to very low levels as it drifts around? How much falls to earth eventually? And could the ash accumulate in the long-term, such that it can't easily be 'flown around'?

There are no easy answers, I'm sure, but I thought I would throw it in!

Posted

I've been following these threads with interest and watching the webcams too - what a great opportunity we have these days, with all this technology, to see a volcano erupting from our armchairs!!!

If this isn't a daft question (and it probably is!).... where does all the ash go??? I mean, the volcano has been sending out ash for some time now and I keep looking at the advisory service predictions, but where is the previous week's ash etc, if you get my meaning? Diluted to very low levels as it drifts around? How much falls to earth eventually? And could the ash accumulate in the long-term, such that it can't easily be 'flown around'?

There are no easy answers, I'm sure, but I thought I would throw it in!

Most of it lands on my car lol

Posted

Most of it lands on my car lol

Mine too!!!

LadyPakal, I guess I'm wondering how long it takes, to fall out of the air?

Posted

Wikipedia has an entry on volcanic ash (including some hastily added stuff about the 2010 closure of Europe etc...): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_ash

From this: ' Volcanic ash particles have a maximum residence time in the troposphere of a few weeks. The finest tephra particles remain in the stratosphere for only a few months, they have only minor climatic effects, and they can be spread around the world by high-altitude winds. This suspended material contributes to spectacular sunsets. The major climate influence from volcanic eruptions is caused by gaseous sulfur compounds, chiefly sulfur dioxide, which reacts with OH and water in the stratosphere to create sulfate aerosols with an residence time of about 2–3 years.'

Posted

Thankyou! I should have done that research myself, sorry :blush:. So this suggests a few weeks to a few months depending on particle size... it'll be interesting to see how long the eruption goes on for. A guy called David Learmont on the BBC news mentioned it might go on for 20 years or more! That sounds very pessimistic to me :doh:.

Edited by loobiloo

Posted

The last eruption went on for around 2 years I believe (including a lot of deaths - both human & livestock - due to fluoride poisoning), so anything up to that long would not be unexpected. 20 years.... well, he may have meant a chain of volcanoes lasting that long, not any one individual.

Posted

We humans want to think we have the answer to everything nowadays, with our scientific research, our wonderful medical breakthroughs (which I am not knocking by any means!) and our air and space travel. However nature always has the upper hand and can disrupt our plans in this century just as much so as in past centuries. I think we need to show a little more humility and try to work with nature not think we can bend it to our will.

Well, where did that little rant come from? :doh: Thinking about big business and airplanes set me off. Doesn't take a lot to stop a plane or even a rocket launch. A severe thunderstorm will do. Trouble is I think we are the first generation to think we can conquer nature when in fact the best we do is subdue it slightly.

Lack of webcam watching is giving me withdrawel symptoms and making me a philosopher.

Posted

Rant away, coldfingers! I feel the same ;-). I watch the volcano on the webcam with a sense of awe and full respect for nature. On the other hand, I have some friends who cannot see the beauty in what is happening, but worry endlessly about their flights being disrupted.... and while I'm sympathetic, I definitely think more humility and a sense of perspective would help us all :-).

Edited by loobiloo

Posted

The last eruption went on for around 2 years I believe (including a lot of deaths - both human & livestock - due to fluoride poisoning), so anything up to that long would not be unexpected. 20 years.... well, he may have meant a chain of volcanoes lasting that long, not any one individual.

I think you referring to the Laki eruption rather than this volcano's previous eruption.

Eruptions can last for a very long time look at Kilauea in Hawaii which has been going on 20 years plus.

As for the question about ash it all falls to earth avoiding aircraft engines on the way down.

As we get more advanced and depend on more technical items the more vulnerable we become to volcanic eruptions. If Yellowstone went off in the middle ages they would have coped today well I think you could say goodbye to the west for a very long time.

Posted

As for the question about ash it all falls to earth avoiding aircraft engines on the way down.

This brought a grin to my face! The media paints a very black and white picture, whereas nothing is really that simple, as we all know.

I've been digging around the net and I've found quite different reports about the potential eruption time for this volcano - from 15 months upwards. But the biggest concern does seem to be that more of the Icelandic volcanoes may be triggered.

Just found this: http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/how-much-longer-will-the-eyjafjallajokull-volcanic-eruption-last-0768/

The Icelandic volcano is likened to the one in Hawaii, which has "been erupting for 23 years". Something about the structure of the magma chambers. Fascinating stuff.

Edited by loobiloo

Posted

See airline companies have got a big sulk on over the latest ban. Do they really need a crash too see the justification for it??? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8685556.stm

Anyway latest vaac below. I wouldn't say the volcano is similar too Hawaii. Different Lava make up and doesn't have a history of long eruptions or frequent eruptions. I see another burst of earthquakes earlier.

post-2404-12740350415812_thumb.png

Edited by The PIT

Posted

See airline companies have got a big sulk on over the latest ban. Do they really need a crash too see the justification for it??? http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8685556.stm

Anyway latest vaac below. I wouldn't say the volcano is similar too Hawaii. Different Lava make up and doesn't have a history of long eruptions or frequent eruptions. I see another burst of earthquakes earlier.

Extract from that article, Richard Branson speaking, Quote:-

"We need strong leadership to intervene to avoid doing further unnecessary damage to the UK economy and lives of travellers."

For "UK economy" read "Branson economy"! I haven't noticed that the closures have done damage to the economy, wasn't that already done by the recession?

It seems to me the government is showing more concern for the lives of travellers than Branson is.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I think you referring to the Laki eruption rather than this volcano's previous eruption.

Nope: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull

'Some damage was caused by a minor eruption in 1821.[10] Notably, the ash released from the eruption contained a large fraction of fluoride, which in high doses may harm the bone structure of cattle, horses, sheep and humans. The eruption also caused some small and medium glacier runs and flooding in nearby rivers Markarfljót and Holtsá. The eruptive phase started on 19 and 20 December 1821 by a series of explosive eruptions and continued over the next several days. The sources describe heavy ash fall in the area around the volcano, especially to the south and west.

After that event the sequence of eruptions continued on a more subdued level until June 1822.

From the end of June until the beginning of August 1822, another sequence of explosive eruptions followed. The eruption columns were shot to considerable heights, with ashfall in both the far north of the country, in Eyjafjörðyour, and in the southwest, on the peninsula of Seltjarnarnes near Reykjavík.

The period from August to December 1822 seemed quieter, but farmers attributed the death of cattle and sheep in the Eyjafjörðyour area to poisoning from this eruption, which modern analysis identifies as fluoride poisoning. Some small glacier runs occurred in the river Holtsá. A bigger one flooded the plains near the river Markarfljót. The sources don’t indicate the exact date.

In 1823, some men went hiking up on Eyjafjallajökull to inspect the craters. They discovered a fissure vent near the summit caldera a bit to the west of Guðnasteinn.

In early 1823, the nearby volcano Katla under the Mýrdalsjökull ice cap erupted and at the same time steam columns were seen on the summit of Eyjafjallajökull.'

Extract from that article, Richard Branson speaking, Quote:-

"We need strong leadership to intervene to avoid doing further unnecessary damage to the UK economy and lives of travellers."

For "UK economy" read "Branson economy"! I haven't noticed that the closures have done damage to the economy, wasn't that already done by the recession?

It seems to me the government is showing more concern for the lives of travellers than Branson is.

I think all of these airline bosses should have to send one member of their family out every day on one of their scheduled flights - preferrably their children. Let's see how 'unnecessary' the bans are then.

Posted

I love this quote "It's the CAA's job to ensure the public is kept safe by ensuring safety decisions are based on scientific and engineering evidence; we will not listen to those who effectively say 'let's suck it and see'."

Here's a list of volcanic eruptions that have caused large amounts of deaths. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0197833.html

The present volcano hasn't been in this class. So a large amount of deaths isn't quiet right which is why I thought you were referring to the Laki eruption. The present eruption also contains fluorine so a few deaths could well occur again.

I thought airports over the north of the UK were closed so how come flights are going Glasgow etc???

Edited by The PIT

Posted

I thought airports over the north of the UK were closed so how come flights are going Glasgow etc???

I have just been checking Gatwick arrivals, and flights from Manchester, Belfast and Dublin are showing cancelled but ones from Gasgow and Edinburgh are still showing scheduled, with one from Edinburgh expected at 23:46. So it doesn't look as if they are closed at all.

PIT, could you put up the link showing the planes flying if possible please. Sorry but I forgot to bookmark it.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I love this quote "It's the CAA's job to ensure the public is kept safe by ensuring safety decisions are based on scientific and engineering evidence; we will not listen to those who effectively say 'let's suck it and see'."

Here's a list of volcanic eruptions that have caused large amounts of deaths. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0197833.html

The present volcano hasn't been in this class. So a large amount of deaths isn't quiet right which is why I thought you were referring to the Laki eruption. The present eruption also contains fluorine so a few deaths could well occur again.

Did you miss the 'both human & livestock' part of my original post? Maybe I misread the human part but livestock certainly died. Anyway, in a place with a relatively small population, 'a lot' may not be considered 'large' outside of it.

Aberdeen is open still. Nothing seems to shut it these days and I was so looking forward to a peaceful weekend. *sigh*

On twitter: Confirmation from NATS that Aberdeen will remain open until at least midnight (Sun). For specific flight info go to www.aberdeenairport.com

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

I have just been checking Gatwick arrivals, and flights from Manchester, Belfast and Dublin are showing cancelled but ones from Gasgow and Edinburgh are still showing scheduled, with one from Edinburgh expected at 23:46. So it doesn't look as if they are closed at all.

PIT, could you put up the link showing the planes flying if possible please. Sorry but I forgot to bookmark it.

There you go. http://www.flightradar24.com/