Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The seismic activity is related to a geothermal area apparently. Anyway they need to rename the volcano I think. How about Mary????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

The seismic activity is related to a geothermal area apparently. Anyway they need to rename the volcano I think. How about Mary????

hahaha!! yeah- I was thinking that too. I like Kev. (Although I see her as a She) lol!!

It has only 4 syllables.

A humerous guide to pronunciation:

yeah, I realised that after I wrote it, that it looks like it has like 8 syllables hahaha! I corrected it now though laugh.gif

Posted

ahhh, ok, I see what you mean.. I didnt bother looking at the precise position of the quakes before, just assumed they would place loads of red dots in a huge cluster like they usually do, but I guess if they are exactly on top of one another, you can do that. laugh.gif

And if you go to the enlarged map Reykjanes Peninsula you'll even see them.

Posted

Vodaphone cam finally clearing and ash plume visible. It looks lower than before but that doesn't seem to stop it pumping out a collosal amount of ash

Posted

There appears to be a lot more water in the run-off areas from Eyjafjalljokull, probably the rain today but could be more of the glacier melting from increased lava flow. Wishful thinking! :) There appears to be more steam on the glacier but really with the clouds it is impossible to be sure if it is steam or cloud.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

They say it's the rain.Assessment - 19 May 2010 17:55According to radar and pilots’ observations, the plume has been slightly lower today than yesterday, at 5-6 km (18,000-20,000 ft). Southerly winds prevailed this morning over the volcano, turning to the southwest at 15-18 m/s. The plume drifted northwest early this morning, but then turned north-northeast, and its colour is gray or light gray. The number of lightning strikes has decreased.Ash has fallen in the south at Flúðir, Fljótshlíð and Rangárþing ytra. Ash has also fallen with rainfall in the north, in Húsavík and Skagafjörðyour, right before noon.Heavy rainfall caused swelling of Eyjafjallajökull rivers today. The rain, together with ash from an area of a few square kilometers, resulted in a mudslide in Svaðbæli river. Hydrologists from IMO, and a scientist from IES, gathered samples from the river and also from Skógar river. The discharge at the old bridge over Markarfljót river has not been greater since 15 April. The discharge at Gígjökull is still low.The plume is up to 5-6 km and drifts to the north-northeast according to reconnaissance flight from the Icelandic Coast Guard this afternoon.The above is based on a status report issued collectively by the Icelandic Meteorological Office and the Institute of Earth Sciences at 17:00.

Edited by nightfire800

Posted

Take a look at the photo on this link. http://picasaweb.goo...019814533183730

I hope that will open it OK. Does anyone think the ash plume in now starting from further down the slope?

Plume starting to show well now on the Mulakot cam

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I had a feeling it was, but with that bad vision....I don't know. But it would explain the dark plume I mentioned yesterday.

Posted

I had a feeling it was, but with that bad vision....I don't know. But it would explain the dark plume I mentioned yesterday.

Just seen it clear..ish on vodaphone and it definitely looks like it is smoke rather than stean further down the glacier. probably the lava has built up further down the glacier. :yahoo: Well. I can dream can't I? :blush:

Very visible smoke now but of course I have just realised it could be weather conditions pushing it down slope.

Tremor on hvo seems to have settled, no longer climbing but steady at a higher rate than before.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

She's been a busy girl under her black shroud. She's certainly steaming like a good'un.

It is possible that the wind is blowing from behind (as we see it) making it appear as though the plume is starting lower down the mountain. In fact, if you look at the Mulakot cam, it seems to be doing just that.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

She's been a busy girl under her black shroud. She's certainly steaming like a good'un.

It is possible that the wind is blowing from behind (as we see it) making it appear as though the plume is starting lower down the mountain. In fact, if you look at the Hvol cam, it seems to be doing just that.

Look quickly at the thermal cam if you can, the heat is showing a line of lava caming down and small plumes off that.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I've been watching - interesting ain't it! The wind is quite strong today so I think the warm/hot steam & ash is being blown almost parallel to the ground.

Posted

I've been watching - interesting ain't it! The wind is quite strong today so I think the warm/hot steam & ash is being blown almost parallel to the ground.

:blush: :yahoo::cray: No, no no! Don't ruin my dream! I was going to go to bed happy tonight. :lol: :lol:

Actually you could well be right, as much as it breaks my heart to admit it. We really just have to be patient and wait for clear weather. *sigh*

Posted

'fraid so. Could be anything - looks like a stereotypical movie 'pyroclastic flow' at times - but with all that cloud in the way it could be anything.

Posted

Yes, the sun shining through the haze is giving it a lovely dirty orange colour. Like the dust on my car...

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Watching the semi-visible plume now it does look like it is blowing a little down the mountain. sob!

Oh! I am discombobulated! ( and that is so painful :blush:) The ash/cloud/fog is back!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yes, the sun shining through the haze is giving it a lovely dirty orange colour. Like the dust on my car...

Again cloudy here this morning the sky to the west had a orange tinge to it but huge blanket of thick cloud over the rest of the sky so I guess another good sunrise gone.

Web cams again showing nothing bar one which shows ash falling.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Thorolfsfelli cam seems to have contracted the Black Death. Big black blobs all over it.

Vodaphone cam showing the valley with quite a bit of flow running off from both sides.

Mulakot showing why Thorolfsfelli cam is so sick, heavy ashfull in the direction of it and the vodaphone cam.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

LOL Mulakot cam looks like an F5 is approaching the mountain laugh.gif

Posted

LOL Mulakot cam looks like an F5 is approaching the mountain laugh.gif

Now that would be interesting!

Looking at what I can see of the slope below the glacier I still think there must be lava flow lower down the glacier, surely all that water can't be just rain run-off.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Lower part of the glacier is now visible and a lot of steam is rising from the glacier with smoke rising further up the glacier. Looks like under cover she has been pushing out a fair amount of lava. Still not lower than the previous low areas of steam though.

There seems to be a fair amount of water running off to the east of the area we are watching though so it suggests that a substantial amount of the water below the glacier is rain run-off rather than from glacial ice melt.

15:42 and just noticed another quake under Eyja, looks to be just about in the crater area, 1.5. Some people are suggesting she is soon going to give up but I reckon she has plenty to give yet before she settles down.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

That rocky area the Voda webcam is on - take a look now. The rocks have almost drowned in a sea of ash: http://www.vodafone.is/eldgos/en

:D Sea of tranquility perhaps? :doh: That really is a lot of ash considering they were are quite large rocks!

I love the sound of "drowned in a sea of ash" you really should take up poetry you know!

Edited by coldfingers