Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Air Frosts 09/10

Posted

As far as the Met' Office are concerned, and the World Meteorological Organisation, an air frost is when the temperature falls to -0.1c or lower. 0.0c may be the generally accepted temperature at which water freezes but in reality it's also the temperature at which ice begins to melt.

Well the Met Office and World Meteorological Organisation are wrong and want to get their act together. I'm sticking with me, and the BBC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well the Met Office and World Meteorological Organisation are wrong and want to get their act together. I'm sticking with me, and the BBC.

It's not so much a question of who's right or wrong, Paul, more a case of everyone singing from the same sheet if the records between stations are to be comparable.

Posted

a rather silly comment if I may say so

I am unsure why you quote the BBC as they use Met definitions or are supposed to. As for yourself, picture this, each of us decides what is right or wrong with no official standard for anything, does it sound sensible?

So I would rather stick by what the official experts quote thank you.

what TM says is correct

the official definition of an air frost is when the air temperature falls BELOW 0.0C

I've read the item in the BBC Weather area which I think you refer to. Its got a photo of Peter Gibbs so I'm rather surprised, if he did write the article, at his somewhat 'sloppy' definition. Normally he is very precise, one of the best forecast presenters UK Met have.

Edited by johnholmes