Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Winter's Toll

Posted

I just wondered how everyone else's garden managed over the winter? I've lost 2 Hollies, 4 Buddleias, a Viburnum tinus, a Continus, a Ribes and I think my Mulberry might be in trouble, as three consecutive nights of below -3º last week have totally killed all the budding leaves, and there's no sign of anything coming through.

What surprises me most is the things I've lost tend to be very hardy, yet much more tender things like Hebes and Lavenders appear to have survive intact.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Well, I've lost nothing! It's a miricle maybe because we did have some very cold temperatures. But I firmly believe that the prolonged snow cover we had actually protected the plants from the most severe low temperatures.

Posted

The rabbits have done a lot of damage to any younger trees and shrubs as for several weeks they couldn't find any grass.

Again hollies particularly affected by ring barking.

A lot of things seem stunted by spring frost and drought as much as winter, although that has had impact.

This sudden change to heat (+ dry :( )is going to cause more issues - a strange year.

Posted

Most damage over winter was caused by starving rabbits. Eating anything above the snow. Stripped bark off the trees, never mind eating any other plants. Biggest threat to our garden are stong winds in the summer months.

Mark

Posted

The snowcover I guess would be the saviour of an otherwise failure of plants. It generally prevents temperatures from dropping below -0c below the snowcover.

The January 2009 freeze probably did more damage. Some grass was burned by the severe frosts which wasn't protected by snowcover.

I think the huge icicles in January did more damage here to the gutterings then the frost did to any plants.

Posted

It can be well below freezing under snow especially if it was in deep freeze before it fell.

The snow prevents dessication by winds when the plant cannot replace the water.

That's what kills things that are considered hardy.

Posted

I lost a cordyline and a fuchsia in the back garden is currently in a coma and may not pull through (though it's twin in the front garden seems to have come through with only a few small scars).

Posted

Good news about the Cordyline at least.

I've just given my lawn its second cut of the year, and most of the trees are in leaf now - remarkable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I couldnt even imagine losing a Cordyline or a Fuchsia - you must have been hit majorly hard.

This year I've lost an Aeonium undulatum, Crassula ovata, Lampranthus spectabilis, Chamaedorea elegans.

Plants thats have pulled through of note: Bougainvillea glabra, Delosperma cooperii, Lampranthus aurea, Echeverias, Yucca elephantipes

Posted

So far so good. I was hoping the cold would finish off the Jap' Knotweed, but alas, no luck !!

Muntjac are my biggest problem, 3 in the garden today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

You'd better go all out to get rid of that knotweed; more and more building societies/banks are refusing mortgages on properties with Knotweed in the garden. There was a case last week where a refusal was made because a neighbouring property was the one with the weed (a small amount too), it's only a matter of time before folk start getting sued for not clearing it IMO.

The best solution for Muntjac is a decent camera :good:

Posted

lost 3 hebes and a number of fuschia in spite of them being in well covered and insulated winter housing.

the large fuschia bush looked a bit sick for a time but is already flowering quite happily.

equally the buddleia looked not too happy but is now putting inches on each branch per week.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I recall being told that Fuchsias were often thought of as tender a year or so ago, which I laughed at, now I see what he meant, seems quite a few Fuchsias are being lost around the country.. it's very strange indeed.

The Fuchsias around here are in flower, small ones started end of May and the bigger Fuchsia varieties are now coming into flower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lost nothing because I don't have anything to be killed. :)

Have some small shrubs that survived the 3 nights below minus 8, and then the rest of winter with nights of -4c ect. But 0c and below seems to be a rarity after March here. :(

Edited by Backtrack

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Got a bit of surprise today, I found that somehow a Pelargonium (zonal Geranium) had self sown in the garden :whistling:

More surprising after this winter.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Virtually all the plants, tress and shrubs in my garden are natives, and seem unaffected. The only one which isn’t, is a potted 10 year old Acer tree which started off looking very sickly, struggling to produce any healthy leafs, but this is showing signs of new growth now, fingers crossed it will pull through.

I will be taking some measures to protect it this winter, especially if it’s another cold one.

Posted

Virtually all the plants, tress and shrubs in my garden are natives, and seem unaffected. The only one which isn’t, is a potted 10 year old Acer tree which started off looking very sickly, struggling to produce any healthy leafs, but this is showing signs of new growth now, fingers crossed it will pull through.

I will be taking some measures to protect it this winter, especially if it’s another cold one.

Acers are frost hardy to about -20C or more, so it probably wasn't the cold, these are seriously cold tolerant trees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Now that fact is a surprise to me.

I've lost two Acers to late frosts in the past.

They were in pots.

I'm trying a third one planted out properly

and may cover it in the winter.

BL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Our Fuchsia was very slow to come back this year, i actually thought it had died but then buds finally appeared. The end of the branches had died tho so after being cut back it seems to be doing quite well now, also recently bought a new one to go next to it! I was suprised when our cordyline, which was only planted in last year, survived with no damage! Its grown quick too, around just over a foot in the last year, didnt think they grew that quick!

Posted

I lost a cordyline and a fuchsia in the back garden is currently in a coma and may not pull through (though it's twin in the front garden seems to have come through with only a few small scars).

One thing has struck me- 90% of the cordylines round here look dead. Most of them survived 1995/6 which was a lot snowier (and the spring after much less sunny, with a far colder March), and they thrive in parts of New Zealand which have similar average winter temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Acers are frost hardy to about -20C or more, so it probably wasn't the cold, these are seriously cold tolerant trees.

I am referring to the Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) Stephen. There was an article on Gardeners question Time on radio 4 last Sunday, warning people with this type of Acer to protect them from frosts.

Below is a link to the Royal Horticultural Society and a quote.

‘The roots of maples in pots are vulnerable to frost over winter, so wrap containers with a sheet of bubble wrap, held in place with garden twine.’

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=126

Now that fact is a surprise to me.

I've lost two Acers to late frosts in the past.

They were in pots.

I'm trying a third one planted out properly

and may cover it in the winter.

BL.

Hi Beverley, you may have to take more measures to protect your third Acer from frost, third time lucky perhaps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I am referring to the Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) Stephen. There was an article on Gardeners question Time on radio 4 last Sunday, warning people with this type of Acer to protect them from frosts.

Below is a link to the Royal Horticultural Society and a quote.

‘The roots of maples in pots are vulnerable to frost over winter, so wrap containers with a sheet of bubble wrap, held in place with garden twine.’

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=126

Hi Beverley, you may have to take more measures to protect your third Acer from frost, third time lucky perhaps.

Thanks, yes, I will certainly try to.

They're not cheap to replace, and I do

so love the look of them.

BL. :)

Posted

Any plant in a pot is susceptible from frozen roots, however an Acer palmatum is a hardy plant that is indeed to -20C when grown in the ground.

Trust me I grow tropical and exotic plants far more tender than Acers B)

Posted

My 11-year old Acer palmatum in a pot is looking very sad this year. Two thirds of branches are in leaf, the remainder look/are dead. The leaves that are out look poorly, and there is no new growth. I can't see it surviving through the winter this year, especially if it's very cold again. The younger acer in the ground just a few yards away is in fine health. Maybe it's a pot-effect?

Posted

My 11-year old Acer palmatum in a pot is looking very sad this year. Two thirds of branches are in leaf, the remainder look/are dead. The leaves that are out look poorly, and there is no new growth. I can't see it surviving through the winter this year, especially if it's very cold again. The younger acer in the ground just a few yards away is in fine health. Maybe it's a pot-effect?

Hi picog,

Hi picog,

Yes it does prove Stephens point above, although the Acer is cold hardy when planted in the ground, they are going to be more susceptible to frost damage when grown in pots.