Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Coast

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Well since 2007 it hasn't really been great, but 2006 and other years before we were quite common for violent thunderstorms on the IOW smile.gif though last year was an improvement, and this year we already got off to a good start in march.

Don't know what it is sometimes about the IOW but it is a strange place for weather here but I spose thats why i love it hear so much about the weather here too.

I do know what you mean by the gales i remember in november the needles which is west of Isle of wight recorded 100mph winds while on my side of the Island In sandow which is east was a expericencing some kind of supercell with 80mph winds, cracking thunder and lightning with a reported tornado from a few friends to the NE of the IOW oh and I forgot about the hail which was crazily heavy hehe.

Sorry about my punchuality however you spell it and spelling sad.gif

My own enthusiasm for storms has been tempered by the violent storm in my close locale in July 2007. Driving just a couple of miles or so away 24 hours later there were houses still without power, with stuctural damage, plus trees stripped of leaves and smashed windows from hail and from a suspected tornado, so when it gets that close, it kinda changes things in the mind! I was lucky to just have slush puppy hail in my back yard and a decimated patio pergola and broken fence!

Posted

Well since 2007 it hasn't really been great, but 2006 and other years before we were quite common for violent thunderstorms on the IOW :wallbash: though last year was an improvement, and this year we already got off to a good start in march.

Don't know what it is sometimes about the IOW but it is a strange place for weather here but I spose thats why i love it hear so much about the weather here too.

I do know what you mean by the gales i remember in november the needles which is west of Isle of wight recorded 100mph winds while on my side of the Island In sandow which is east was a expericencing some kind of supercell with 80mph winds, cracking thunder and lightning with a reported tornado from a few friends to the NE of the IOW oh and I forgot about the hail which was crazily heavy hehe.

Sorry about my punchuality however you spell it and spelling :wallbash:

Don't worry about spelling, I have had 60 years to practice and still make silly spelling mistakes. English is a stupid language for spelling anyway. My Spanish niece was asking me how English kids ever learn to spell.

I know you get much more thunder and also more precipitation than Bognor. This coastal plain just south of the South Downs has a climate all of its own. I see these lovely Cumulus clouds develop over the IOW and they all pass North of here, Selsey gets them, Chichester gets them, Worthing and Brighton gets them. Bognor usually gets zilch. Mind you, a friends house in Bognor did once get struck by lightning and was unliveable for a couple of weeks until they repaired the damage. Also we did have a tornado cause severe damage in Bognor quite a few years ago and another friends house had all roof tiles stripped off and windows had to be refitted after they were almost ripped out. I have very unlucky friends.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

My own enthusiasm for storms has been tempered by the violent storm in my close locale in July 2007. Driving just a couple of miles or so away 24 hours later there were houses still without power, with stuctural damage, plus trees stripped of leaves and smashed windows from hail and from a suspected tornado, so when it gets that close, it kinda changes things in the mind! I was lucky to just have slush puppy hail in my back yard and a decimated patio pergola and broken fence!

Wow sounds violent indeed, I've been into the weather (especially thunderstorms and snow), since the age of about 5/6 and it was a violent thunderstorm that got me into the weather, I remember being at my nans with my cousin and we heard thunder and both ran to the window to see it and funnily enough I was the one that was scared by the lightning but not the thunder but I remembe rseeing some amazing lightning strikes and I think it was the fear of Lightning that makes me love it so much now and is probably my most favourite type of weather.

Don't worry about spelling, I have had 60 years to practice and still make silly spelling mistakes. English is a stupid language for spelling anyway. My Spanish niece was asking me how English kids ever learn to spell.

I know you get much more thunder and also more precipitation than Bognor. This coastal plain just south of the South Downs has a climate all of its own. I see these lovely Cumulus clouds develop over the IOW and they all pass North of here, Selsey gets them, Chichester gets them, Worthing and Brighton gets them. Bognor usually gets zilch. Mind you, a friends house in Bognor did once get struck by lightning and was unliveable for a couple of weeks until they repaired the damage. Also we did have a tornado cause severe damage in Bognor quite a few years ago and another friends house had all roof tiles stripped off and windows had to be refitted after they were almost ripped out. I have very unlucky friends.

Yeh I know what you mean.

Oh my god hope the house repaired okay, sounds like a very close storm and for the friends house of been extremely loud, I remember here too when we had a tornado before which it was either that or the great storm of 87 whcih I wouldn't know as I wasn't born that ripped apart shanklin Pier which is ESE of the IOW.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Wow sounds violent indeed, I've been into the weather (especially thunderstorms and snow), since the age of about 5/6 and it was a violent thunderstorm that got me into the weather, I remember being at my nans with my cousin and we heard thunder and both ran to the window to see it and funnily enough I was the one that was scared by the lightning but not the thunder but I remembe rseeing some amazing lightning strikes and I think it was the fear of Lightning that makes me love it so much now and is probably my most favourite type of weather.

I bored people to death with this storm at the time(probably still do) but although I have seen lots of storms in my something years with vivid thunder and lightning for hours plus flooding at work (lol) back in the 90's - I have never seen a storm like this one. Would still be called a minnow probably by the mid west US community but it was definitely of that type and that is brave enough for me and what made it extra scary!!

The cloud structure as it arrived told me it was not a usual storm - plus the multi second strobe lightning before the 'spaceship thing' surged in.

Perhaps I've gone the other way to you and become a bit storm phobic!laugh.gif

Posted

Yeh I know what you mean.

Oh my god hope the house repaired okay, sounds like a very close storm and for the friends house of been extremely loud, I remember here too when we had a tornado before which it was either that or the great storm of 87 whcih I wouldn't know as I wasn't born that ripped apart shanklin Pier which is ESE of the IOW.

My mother was terrified of storms and I mentioned earlier about the terrible storms in Windsor when i was a kid. She was once standing talking to someone at the door during a thunderstorm, (We lived on the top of a hill in a prefab, you would have to google to see what post war prefabs were like.) and as she was holding on to the doorpost she felt an electric shock run up her arm. That scared her for the rest of her life. It was the same storm that killed someone at Ascot racecourse in 1955. here is a report into that death.

http://www.chrishobb...leascot1955.htm

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Right before I head off, heavy showers continue to expand west over eastern English Channel and drift ever so closer to E Sussex and Kent coast. Maybe just maybe a rumble and a flash near those coasts tonight?

post-1052-12748322382765_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Looks like somethings gonna happen for the SE corner tonight, wish I was down there! Showers/storms moving verrrry slowly ENE but also propagating West some. Classic Kent clipper? If anyone knows of any jobs down that way lemme know as im seriously considering moving.

kentclipper.jpg

Edit: Lightning showing up nicely from these cells on the Iceland lightning tracker. Wake up Eastbourne!

Edited by Joey.G

Posted

I finally called it a day/night at about 12.30am and all was quiet up til then ( staying just outside Hastings atm ). Slept like a log all night and just woke to see it has rained overnight. Did I miss anything else ? Those cells in the post above looked quite promising for this area.

Posted

Have issued a storm forecast for the risk of an isolated elevated storm somewhere along the south coast tonight/tomorrow morning.

Backed by Michael Fish on BBC South East's breakfast weather forecast at 6.30 (but not ESTOFEX, UKASF or TORRO)

111152.gif

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_18.gif

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_TS-THREAT_SFC_06_00Z.png

PGNE14_CL.gif

Rmgfs066.gif

gfs_icape_eur6.png

gfs_layer_eur6.png

gfs_kili_eur6.png

gfs_spout_eur6.png

Currently watching that MCS off the coast!

ASII_20100526_0600.png

Posted

I like the way low level cloud is moving SW while mid-level cloud is moving ENE. Nice bit of shear, though any instability is firmly rooted above a stable boundary layer.

Posted

All too far out in the Channel currently:

post-6667-12748618012351_thumb.gif

Posted

Massive change here in the last 2 hours from a warm spring day with a SE wind,but from the NW very dark swirling clouds,Unexpected as a thunderstorm would normally come but there was no thunder but the wind changed to strong blowing leaves off and a hailstorm which gave a dusting,then the wind turned to the NE.

Temp dropped to 9.4c after hitting 17c

More showers since,the confusing part was which direction it was coming to start with,the best dramatic non thunderstorm I`ve seen. 8)

Posted

Some large convection around West Wiltshire now with a sharp shower on the A36 according to my better half as she's driving back from Salisbury. The NW radar shows an area of showers developing from the Frome/Warminster area and stretching over the Mendips towards the Bristol Channel. It's certainly gone very dull in the last half an hour but the temperature is still above 17c.

Posted

Just had a thunderstorm here developed out of nowhere, about 15-30minits ago.

Posted

Just had a thunderstorm here developed out of nowhere, about 15-30minits ago.

Yes, can see it on raintoday looks very nice and there is another one coming your way :D

Posted

Quite a noticeable convergence zone running SW-NE across the Severn Valley area, creating forcing for the heavy showers with thunder:

post-1052-12749016188998_thumb.gif

Posted

evening all, raining here and looks very thundery, fingers crossed :rolleyes:

getting very dark :good:

Edited by twister2005

Posted

Quite a noticeable convergence zone running SW-NE across the Severn Valley area, creating forcing for the heavy showers with thunder:

post-1052-12749016188998_thumb.gif

Yes on looking at the local stations Yeovilton/Boscombe Down are reporting a SW'ly while Lyneham/Bristol have a N/NW'ly.

Some very heavy, thundery showers now over Central/North Wiltshire but, so far, just one sharp shower here which barely dampened the dust!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Its pretty cloudy here, looks a little bit stormy to the southwest/west but im not expecting anything to develop, weathercoxy you lucky devil diablo.gif !! :rolleyes:

Posted

Will be some heavy showers for central and northern Scotland tomorrow afternoon as upper trough and associated cold mid-levels approaches from north of UK, with low centre situated over north-west Scotland. Also chance of an isolated weak thunderstorm. NAE indicating wintry precipitation across parts of Scotland, suggestive of small-sized hail, which should be rather likely given steep lapse rates of 29-30C. Infrequent lightning and perhaps gusty winds also accompanying showers. Should be an interesting day across this region.

Should be Interesting to see what happens in those areas tomorrow with some decentish cape about in scotland and northern england.

I would guess thunder in most heavier showers

Posted

Nothing much on the horizon, in fact June is already looking dire!!!

MU_London_avn.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
:shok:

Posted

:shok:

surely you've had your year's worth of storm fixes in the States? :good:

quite a cluster of sferics in the North Sea currently, why do storms seem to last longer over a cold sea than land recently?