Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Clouds

Posted

Not seen anything from here yet but Spaceweather has a repot from Denmark on the 1st June.

"NLC SEASON BEGINS: Recent data from NASA's AIM spacecraft show that noctilucent clouds (NLCs) are like a great "geophysical light bulb." They turn on every year in late spring, reaching almost full intensity over a period of no more than 5 to 10 days. News flash: The bulb is beginning to glow. Jesper Grønne photographed a bank of NLCs rippling over Silkeborg, Denmark, on June 1st: ..."

More from linkey.

http://spaceweather.com/

Keep watching the sky on clear nights - we had some superb sightings last year!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Keep watching the sky on clear nights - we had some superb sightings last year!

Yep... last year was incredible with what seemed like display after display almost on a daily (nightly) basis.

Look out here for sightings reports... http://www.nlcnet.co.uk/nlcreps.htm

And here for discussion forum..... http://nlcnet.proboards77.com/

Edited by kar999

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Compared to last year, it has been a poor season thus far.

Agreed! It's 1.05am and an almost perfect night for looking. There are a few very faint smudges of NC just above the horizon (virtually due N). Seriously not worth clarting about with the camera and tripod though. I'll give it another 30mins to see if anything better develops. If not them I'm off to bed!

Posted

1.30am from the front door.

nc1.jpg

Ok, not a brilliant display but worth a 10min drive!

nc2.jpg

nc3.jpg

nc4.jpg

nc5.jpg

last pic just after 2.00am and a distinct brightening of the pre dawn sky so I called it a day. Off for some :whistling: now :whistling:

Posted

Very nice! :lol: I'm still to see my first NLC's this year despite the clear skies, after seeing some good displays last year which was the first time I had seen them and really became aware of them.

I try to look every evening but am usually in deep B) come 2-3am though!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I saw them too, first ever time i've seen them and I think it was a very good show as well. Here's one of the better pictures I just took (I think I need a tripod to be honest)

The setting on my camera has made the sky look orange, when in fact it's actually a green sunset/horizon.

11i22yw.jpg

Edited by morfius

Posted

I'm glad I wasn't imagining things - I'm a few files north of you Morfius. Your photo's much clearer than any of mine. I, too, need a tripod for the camera.

Posted

Just taken the Missus out to see them. The best since last year, but sadly no charged battery in camera :lol:

Wait a minute, I could charge it before dawn begins to break in an hour or so... hold this thread, and be prepared for disappointment, and bags under the eyes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Went outside to put the guinea pigs back in the cage, but went back in to get the camera instead.

post-9147-064598500 1278716069_thumb.jpg

post-9147-086320900 1278716080_thumb.jpg

post-9147-087628400 1278716099_thumb.jpg

post-9147-067372900 1278716123_thumb.jpg

Posted

Went out to take some pics, I was just experimenting really with my dads 'older' camera which is better than mine that needs replacing and I haven't used for photographing NLC's before. Some of them did have a bit of a noise problem, as well as a cloud problem in the sky at times, however I'm quite impressed with how some came out especially the close up ones and the detail in them.

post-7593-091923500 1278716745_thumb.jpg post-7593-005189400 1278716931_thumb.jpg post-7593-083827000 1278717527_thumb.jpg post-7593-063709900 1278716982_thumb.jpg post-7593-040142200 1278717023_thumb.jpg post-7593-055549000 1278717177_thumb.jpg post-7593-035022500 1278717340_thumb.jpg post-7593-094038100 1278717352_thumb.jpg

It was also nice to have a warm evening while taking those pics! Currently 18.9C still.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

Looks as if last night was the best night for NLC in a long time, Well done guys for the great pics.

We had . . . rain! Bah!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I half heard a piece on Radio 4 on Thursday afternoon in which two scientists claimed to have found a link between the incidence of noctilucent clouds and the temperature of the mesosphere.

It seems the temperature of the mesosphere varies on a 5 day cycle and (I think, if I heard correctly ) the temperature minimum is most conducive for noctilucent clouds.

Monday, July 19th is the next minimum so the forecast is for good n/l cloud spotting conditions around 2200 g.m.t, cloud permitting. Look to the north and north east.

Posted

I half heard a piece on Radio 4 on Thursday afternoon in which two scientists claimed to have found a link between the incidence of noctilucent clouds and the temperature of the mesosphere.

It seems the temperature of the mesosphere varies on a 5 day cycle and (I think, if I heard correctly ) the temperature minimum is most conducive for noctilucent clouds.

Monday, July 19th is the next minimum so the forecast is for good n/l cloud spotting conditions around 2200 g.m.t, cloud permitting. Look to the north and north east.

It was Material World 4.30pm Thursday 15th July. You can hear it again on BBC iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00t0g9w