Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spells Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The last three days have seen Norwich quite a way off being the warmest place in Britain, probably due to a slight easterly breeze, and temperatures reached 19C, 21C and 22C. Today looks like being a rather different story with Norwich already at 24C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

We live on a island just about the coolest position in Europe for summer, the heat threshold will be significantly lower

Posted

What a joke people calling today hot and humid, look at the temps nationwide if thats hot then we really need a new word for when its actually hot.

http://www.weatheron...TIME=1275737832

Yep it's totally pathetic. Overnight lows of 12-13C with highs of 25C "hot and humid", I mean places like southern Florida have hotter winters than that rolleyes.gif

The weather presenters on the local radio also said 24C today is "very hot". I would say, 24C = warm. 34C = hot. 44C = very hot. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH!

As for "London's stifling heat", that gave a little laugh. Opening the window after the sun has set in his 29C furnace (LOL) south facing bedroom would allow the nice relatively cold 13C temps overnight to cool the room down a lot lower than 29C.

Edited by RichardR

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Everything is relative when comparing temperatures to other places in the world. Thresholds and all that.

Posted

A very nice day here but since the morning it has turned much hazier. Temperature has levelled off at 27C

Posted

Just to remind everyone, whatever our own personal ideas are, the terms used by the Met O regarding temperatures are, see below

http://forum.netweat...re-definitions/

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

One thing it is humid these last 2 days,today warmer than yesterday 23.3c max so far.

Warmest early June day for just 12months though.

Posted

Yep it's totally pathetic. Overnight lows of 12-13C with highs of 25C "hot and humid", I mean places like southern Florida have hotter winters than that rolleyes.gif

The weather presenters on the local radio also said 24C today is "very hot". I would say, 24C = warm. 34C = hot. 44C = very hot. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH!

How on earth is it totally pathetic if people find 25C hot? We are all different and adapt differently to temperatures, some will find it comfortable at 25C, some won't. I personally find 25C comfortable but others won't, especially those who don't normally experience those temperatures often. Its not like people are saying 15C is hot!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Relative to the British climate 25c is very warm, and in some areas where it is unusual -for example parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland, as well as upland areas such as the Peak district it could indeed be considered hot . 25c in such areas is not reached very often, and certainly not every Summer. I have experienced Summer's even in the lowland Midlands in which 25c was not attained at all (1974?).

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Peaked at 25.c here.

Those who are saying 25.c is not hot need only to look at the last decade and see how many times 25.c is reached in summer, only on 5 occasions did we reach/surpass 25.c last summer, so compared to what we usually get yes it is hot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Some of the posts in here are truly pathetic. Some people have different tolerances to heat and different preferences in summer. Just because we (as many people know, I despise the heat) don't have the same preferences to you doesn't mean we are wrong, weird or "pathetic" (to quote a couple of posters).

Get over it and stop throwing your toys out of the pram because it isn't 40c outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well without directing at any people's comments about temperature preference,

today has been a pain! High cloud has stuck around all day and only now it the sun properly trying to come out. As such we've only made it to 24.1C (yes it's warm but rather disappointing after yesterday).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Different individuals have different tolerance thresholds for heat (and cold, for that matter). One person's "lovely warm summer's day", depending on the specifics, can be another's "disappointingly cool day" and/or another's "stiflingly hot and oppressive day".

I cope with the heat a lot better than I used to (e.g. I think of today as a proper hot summer's day in Norwich, if a little on the warm side of absolute comfort, but I'm sure that 10-15 years ago I'd have called it "unbearably hot") so even an individual's threshold can change with time.

By the Met Office's criteria, though, 25C is "hot" or "very hot" across large areas of the country, especially this early in the season, simply because the UK doesn't get particularly hot summers, and 16-20C is the norm for early June. So if a media forecaster uses that terminology, chances are he or she has a very strong case for using it.

Posted

How on earth is it totally pathetic if people find 25C hot? We are all different and adapt differently to temperatures, some will find it comfortable at 25C, some won't. I personally find 25C comfortable but others won't, especially those who don't normally experience those temperatures often. Its not like people are saying 15C is hot!

this is what annoys me about people in this country saying, 'you think thats hot, go to australia where it is 40c' bla bla bla. they moan at us, but yet when it is 15c over there they say its freezing, due to the temperatures they are use to. all countries are different and to me anythign above 24c is very warm or hot depending on the suns strength.

i was on this site and an australian posted something like this 'its winter in aussie and its freezing. it is 15c and i am wrapped up in a blanket'. ok 15 is not warm, but it is mild and a cool temperature.

but they annoy me sometimes, how would they have coped with our last winters if they moan at thse temps.

the heat over here and air can feel rather different to other countries IMO. obviously if you live in texas where it is mid 30s to low 40s most of summer, they are going to think 25c is not hot compared to the temps they are use to.

when will people ever ever learn that people are not going to have the same feeling of how hot or cold it is!!!!!!! it is like an opinion or like or dislike. how dare people call people names such as pathetic just because people have a different feel of the weather. some people need to grow up and yes i am referring to you euegene. once again you complain, you moan in the model output thread on how horrid the charts look and they are not exactly bad and then when it is relatively warm and summery , you come in here and start telling people to stop been pathetic because they are saying it is too hot.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

I think the best policy is for us not to complain too much in the relatively technical threads (e.g. -cough- Model Output Discussion) although some whining in appropriate threads such as general banter and threads dedicated to personal views is alright. For example, to take a simplistic case, if we have one group that is wishing for 25C+ and complains at anything less, and another group that complains at anything above 24C, then we are going to get a number of people complaining all of the time regardless of what the weather is doing.

If it's often 40C in Australia the implication is that people in the relevant parts of Australia get used to larger amounts of heat. Humans tend to "acclimatise" themselves over time, so many Brits are used to our normal summer temperatures of about 20C and not the normal temperatures of 30-35C as per some parts of Australia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think when people pull up and say you cant be humid at 15C makes me laugh too, Ive heard it numerous times, the truth is, if its 90% humidity with dewpoint of 13C, 15C is humid..

Posted

I think when people pull up and say you cant be humid at 15C makes me laugh too, Ive heard it numerous times, the truth is, if its 90% humidity with dewpoint of 13C, 15C is humid..

Yeah but that's relative humdity, so it's a straw man argument. A 13C dewpoint is hardly uncomfortable, unless maybe the air temperature is 27C plus at which the heat index comes into play.

For goodness sake, if the dewpoint was -10C and the temperature -9C, it would also be "humid". Wouldn't be suprised if some of the penguins on this board found that "oppressive" either. Some here probably think a dewpoint of 15C and temperature of 16C = 28C heat indexwacko.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

ive found today very hot (feeling hot) maybe only 24.7C max but feels hot

northern facing upstairs rooms the worst, have sun from 5pm until 10pm, dont get any air through window, (because when its hot wind always comes from a southerly point)

facing south better, have air through window all day, no sun coming through from 5pm, still with air coming in

One or 2 comments have been amended/deleted, there is no need for unpleasantness.

A bit frustrated here about the weather, it was cold outside earlier (15c and cloudy), but now the sun has come back out and it's feeling warm again.

Posted

I've found it a strange kind of day really. It certainly FEELS humid, even if the stats don't agree. Feels like we need a good storm *hint hint!*.

With my exams coming up I am praying for a nice, cool 2 or 3 weeks.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Oh and another little moan, once again the buses have the heating on despite it being warm and muggy outside. Beggars belief....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I often find in July that an average day of 22-23C with overcast skies feels cooler than a cooler day with bright sunshine and no clouds (although rarely is it cooler when it is sunny) It comes down to other factors such as humidity and wind strength and direction..

The downsides of living near a massive city like London is the warm nights.. it's still pretty warm outside and I doubt it will drop below the high teens.. It's going to be a hard night's sleep.. whistling.gif