Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spells Discussion

Posted

This debate about whats hot or not comes up every summer. Its all fine comparing the UK to elsewhere with hotter climates but you have to bear in mind that those countries are very much geared to the hotter weather. Houses for example in this country (especially these days) are designed to keep heat in. That means that a night with a minimum temperature of 16C for example can feel very uncomfortable compared to somewhere abroad with a min temp of 22C but with thin walls and air conditioning.

Its unquestionably easier to get on with your daily life in Abu Dhabi where everywhere is air conditioned than in the UK with its boiling public transport, office buildings and houses which are designed to keep in heat, all despite the remarkably lower temperatures here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Given the highest temperature up until the end of June last year was a paltry 21.8c this summers got off to a much better start. There have been so many more days that have actually felt like summer this year and were still only 6 days into June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

14C here with light rain and overcast skies, no temps above 25C here and certainly no bang here, big letdown to be honest, at least winter delivered exciting weather.

Tbh I can sympathise with you today coz its been miserable here as well, but just because you like it to be wet and cold in the summer doesn't mean you need to pretend that it always is that way, you always jump on any chance to say what a rotten summer it is, even if it's only one model run out of 10 which shows cool weather. There's no denying that the last few days have been good for people who like summer weather. Your turn will come this week though with lots of cold, miserable weather before the next warm spell arrives next week :nonono:

Given the highest temperature up until the end of June last year was a paltry 21.8c this summers got off to a much better start. There have been so many more days that have actually felt like summer this year and were still only 6 days into June.

IMO it's been a great summer so far, only the 6th June and already 2 very warm / hot spells :)

Posted

Its unquestionably easier to get on with your daily life in Abu Dhabi where everywhere is air conditioned than in the UK with its boiling public transport, office buildings and houses which are designed to keep in heat, all despite the remarkably lower temperatures here!

Almost everyone on this forum seems to think that anywhere that is hotter than the UK has air conditioning. That's pretty naive.

Posted

Almost everyone on this forum seems to think that anywhere that is hotter than the UK has air conditioning. That's pretty naive.

Well I've been to Dubai and yes it's not Abu Dhabi but a major city of the UAE. Every building and vehicle I was in was indeed air conditioned. So I understand what the op is saying. However, there's always going to be people without ac granted but this place even has air conditioned bus stops!

The recent weather has been delightful but not hot.

Posted

I've never been to Abu Dhabi, but even with air-conditioning I just can't see how daily life in summer can be unquestionably easier than here! Usually doing day-to-day things involves going outside at some point, and if you think 25C in this country is hot you are going to find 45C heat very uncomfortable regardless of how low the humidity is. It's a different kind of heat, but everywhere in Shanghai has air-conditioning - step outside however and within thirty seconds you're dripping with sweat. I myself handled the sultriness pretty well but it was still trying, and I would probably find spending a whole summer there draining. At the end of the day, you can't avoid the heat unless you spend all day sitting in an air-conditioned room.

As for the 25C argument, I suppose you're not likely to find it hot if you grew up in Phoenix but probably will if you grew up in Barrow, Alaska. What we see on this thread however is people who I assume were born and raised in the same general climate differing in their opinions of what constitutes warm or hot, so that argument doesn't really apply here - I suppose if you're used to our climate, you can argue as much as you want about whether the general perception is exaggerated (though words such as "pathetic" are a bit below the belt).

Posted

I've never been to Abu Dhabi, but even with air-conditioning I just can't see how daily life in summer can be unquestionably easier than here! Usually doing day-to-day things involves going outside at some point, and if you think 25C in this country is hot you are going to find 45C heat very uncomfortable regardless of how low the humidity is. It's a different kind of heat, but everywhere in Shanghai has air-conditioning - step outside however and within thirty seconds you're dripping with sweat. I myself handled the sultriness pretty well but it was still trying, and I would probably find spending a whole summer there draining. At the end of the day, you can't avoid the heat unless you spend all day sitting in an air-conditioned room.

As for the 25C argument, I suppose you're not likely to find it hot if you grew up in Phoenix but probably will if you grew up in Barrow, Alaska. What we see on this thread however is people who I assume were born and raised in the same general climate differing in their opinions of what constitutes warm or hot, so that argument doesn't really apply here - I suppose if you're used to our climate, you can argue as much as you want about whether the general perception is exaggerated (though words such as "pathetic" are a bit below the belt).

No doubt about it daily life there can be hard. As soon as you are outside the elements hit you and you are dripping it makes walking hard and eating out at night can be hard as you'll find the seats inside are reserved. It gets too uncomfortable to eat outside. The UAE experiences high humidity in summer, And I think most people think it's often dry. Dew points in the 20's and it'd that bad that condensation cakes the exterior of windows. It's quite incredible to experience but it's heat and humidity to high levels. You can feel the vapour in the air.

Edited by rmc1987

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I personally think that your tolerance of heat comes down to where you lived in your early years, i was born near enougth the top of Scotland (Peterhead, just north of Aberdeen), and lived there until i was 2 years old, my sister was born there but was 2 months old when my parents moved to Leeds, i have always had a high tolerance of the cold (will be in a tshirt in anything above 5C, though i drip with sweat at even 20C, while my sister copes much better with the heat.

I used to think it was down to howfat/thin you are, however i have gone from being very skinny to quite fat with no difference in my temperature toleration which is why i believe it is how you adapt to your local conditions in your early years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Even the media disagrees on this issue- when temperatures fall from 28C to 21C you might get an ITV forecast or tabloid article saying "sadly the gloriously hot weather is on its way out", flick over to the BBC and hear "hopefully the uncomfortably hot weather is on its way out".

On the subject of 45 degree heat, I recall that when in France during the August 2003 heatwave I struggled to cope while outside in 35-40C (and this was quite a dry heat) for just a few minutes. So I doubt I'd last long in 45C with dewpoints of, say, 25C. One problem with spending a lot of time in air conditioned buildings is that once you exit them the heat really hits hard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I agree with the 'its depends where you were brought up' argument.

I was brought up in Wirral most of my life and have very little tolerance of cold, because the truth is it doesnt really get that cold here in winter, neither in temperature nor wind chill.

The temperatures in summer often dont fall that short of the SE (ie it's usually quite warm and dry) either so perhaps that explains the greater heat tolerance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Location of upbringing certainly has an influence, but I think it's also possible to acclimatise to different temperature ranges after moving to different places. Of course such acclimatisation is only possible up to a point and often takes time.

Posted

It's all relative too. I spent a lot of time in India experiencing the dry and hot season and the onset of the monsoon. During the monsoon some days, although still warm by UK standards felt quite cool and when I went to Bangalore the mornings felt very cool.

Dubai was simply hot and humid. For example now 11pm, temp of 32c and dew point of 28c! It does get worse though.

Edited by rmc1987

Posted

I went to Egypt two years ago, temperatures during mid daytime would regulary reach 45C and one day 47C occured. When I arrived at the hotel around 9-10pm local time and walked off the coach, it felt very humid and temperatures were probably not below 34C. Although of course it wasnt humid at all. It felt cooler at nightimes in the next few nights, although the temperature and humidity was very similar to the first night. You can acclimitise to these sorts of these conditions very quickly, or it can take you time. But of course you couldn't stand in the sun for a long period of time in these sorts of places!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Even the media disagrees on this issue- when temperatures fall from 28C to 21C you might get an ITV forecast or tabloid article saying "sadly the gloriously hot weather is on its way out", flick over to the BBC and hear "hopefully the uncomfortably hot weather is on its way out".

On the subject of 45 degree heat, I recall that when in France during the August 2003 heatwave I struggled to cope while outside in 35-40C (and this was quite a dry heat) for just a few minutes. So I doubt I'd last long in 45C with dewpoints of, say, 25C. One problem with spending a lot of time in air conditioned buildings is that once you exit them the heat really hits hard.

Last August it was 25°C-30°C for about 10 days and I coped quite well, but during the last 4 days before I came home the temperature crept up towards 40°C by the 19th (I don't think it officially made it, but it was definitely Belgium's hottest ever day, about 38°C I think), and it was too hot. The fact that it was very humid didn't help, but I was rewarded with a strong thunderstorm in the evening :hi:

Edited by alza

Posted

Last August it was 25°C-30°C for about 10 days and I coped quite well, but during the last 4 days before I came home the temperature crept up towards 40°C by the 19th (I don't think it officially made it, but it was definitely Belgium's hottest ever day, about 38°C I think), and it was too hot. The fact that it was very humid didn't help, but I was rewarded with a strong thunderstorm in the evening smile.gif

wow 40c in belgium!!!!! just shows how incredibly lucky we have been to miss out on soem very hot temperatures indeed like that. we are not far from belgium either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm tolerant at either end of the temperature spectrum- most people around me will always moan about the cold before I do! Same goes for heat.

Sure there are plenty of downsides to heat - especially as I found at the weekend - on a big hangover! Sleeping or dozing on the bed in the day was tricky as bedroom was so hot (my house gets all it's heat 9am-2pm).

But on the flip side we had a wonderful evening on Friday with being able to stay out for hours without getting chilly - and similar when our party finally drew to a close around 6am. We could still go for a sunrise walk in t-shirts - perfect!

I find you get used to whatever extreme fairly fast - like during winter when it was freezing all the time. It was still annoying (not to mention down right dangerous on many mornings) but you cope! I struggle to find as many upsides with cold as I do heat though. Hot weather brings alive outdoor living - a rare treat in the UK - whereas cold is simply interesting to note (although sometimes stunning to look at).

Posted

wow 40c in belgium!!!!! just shows how incredibly lucky we have been to miss out on soem very hot temperatures indeed like that. we are not far from belgium either.

Unlucky I'll say. August 2009 was a real letdown for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think there has to be a point where even the most hardy of heat lovers have to admit is uncomfortable. I think if we consistently got 40c+ temperatures, the majority of people would be sick of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think there has to be a point where even the most hardy of heat lovers have to admit is uncomfortable. I think if we consistently got 40c+ temperatures, the majority of people would be sick of it.

Aye just like the cold temperatures of last winter, that I can agree with!

Posted

Last winter showed that my tolerance for cold and snow is a lot higher than I thought. I used to say that I'd get sick of a snowy spell if it went on for over a week, but the period 17 December 2009 to 9 January 2010 emphatically refuted that notion, and I don't recall suffering because it was too cold at any point. However, I did learn that I tire of ice quite quickly.

One common theme between undesirable (at least in my view) facets of heat and cold is humidity. High humidity not only makes modest amounts of heat more uncomfortable, it also increases the chances of sleet or rain falling at temperatures near freezing, promoting the formation of ice on the ground and only a slow thaw. On the other hand, for those of us who enjoy convective events we need a certain amount of humidity to allow them to happen.

Posted

I dont mind humidity in warm circumstances, I feel quite comfortable, at resonable warmth (say 20-25C), upwards of that say 27-30C high humidity starts to draw sweat and can be quite annoying after a while but it's not hugely uncomfortable.

However cold humidity is.. for me there's something dire about rain at 3-4C where the hands just endure the most horrible pain before they go numb. Winds don't help either!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Aye just like the cold temperatures of last winter, that I can agree with!

I enjoyed the cold while it was the crisp, dry snow on the ground in the first 2 weeks of January. We got extremely cold minima (2 consecutive nights below -10c) and the snow didn't thaw.

After that though, while it was still cold, the snow began to become wetter. I didn't mind the cold, it was just the slushy snow on the ground that took ages to finally disappear.

I think the limit of my heat tolerance is 25c, anything above that and I just find it uncomfortable. If it was consistently low 20s and hazy sunshine for the entire summer with the odd thunderstorm thrown in then I would be really quite happy. But of course we will never get that with our climate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I never thought i would ever say this, or end up discussing winter in a summer thread, but i did enjoy the period of severe cold from mid-december to mid January. I probably enjoyed the snow as much as i have ever done. However the rest of Winter was absolutely horrible with constant drearyness, and temperatures almost constantly stuck in the range 4-6c with northing mild or very cold to speak of. The constant frost and ice of the really cold snap might have been notable but it made it an absolute nightmare for getting around in, so although i loved the snow, i was glad to get back to the slightly milder conditions where ice and frost was less of a problem. So hopefully winter 2010/11 will have more frequent mild spells but also severe cold and snowy ones mized in. But thats enough of winter, all eyes on the next potentialy hot spell.

Posted

I work with a forecaster that used to work in Dubai. He has some interesting stories, such as fog at 30C (i.e. temperature of 30C with dewpoints of 30C), and a report from a small island or an oil rig (can't remember which), that was something like 38C with dewpoints of 34C.