Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spells Discussion

Posted

21c already at 750am feeling quite humid too.... rain should be here in an hour or two.... hopefully some lightening/thunder too....we shall see...

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

I could do with 17c right now. I'm sick of this hot weather, can't sleep in it.

Aye well how would you like 15c, its friggen freezing and cloudy AGAIN!

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

Well it's cooler here, but very very humid...personally I'd rather it was about 17'c and cloudy too, I'm not getting anything done as it's just too hot to work.

Luckly we had a good spell of rain here last night so everything is looking fresh otherwise we'd have beeen in trouble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We achieved a damp ground last night as much of the rain went round us. No change there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Lovely weather continuing here - long may it go on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It may be humid but it feels mighty cold. Despite being 16C, the breeze is nasty, more akin to a mild winters day.

When it was colder I would have welcomed 16-17C but if it's going to be windy I'd rather not have it.

Posted

Looks like today north kent, moi, might well be hottest place in uk and we may top 30c according to bbc se today forecast.... much cooler night here first low temp under 15c for quite a while.... currently 15.8c...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Looks like being another hot day in London. My grass is now officially dead, it is completly burnt and resemblem the African savanha right now.

Cold......please come back soon!

Posted

Looks like being another hot day in London. My grass is now officially dead, it is completly burnt and resemblem the African savanha right now.

Cold......please come back soon!

Hot? mmmm. Anyway it looks like we will see a continue in the temperature drop and more chance of rain. Wednesday looks like it will be wet.

Posted

The subtropical ridge still looks strong enough to keep things setled in the south for the forseeable future though I'd imagine it will have to weaken at sone point.

Evolution vetween Thursday-Sat/Sun is suggestive of somewhere near the London probably coming rather close to 31-32C as warm air comes up from France again as a weak low tries to nudge in from the west which helps to amplifying the high pressure cell just to our east and strengthen the feature. So at least for the south another hot snap/spell looks like its going to come after a brief quieter spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes some hot, humid air pushing into the southeast. Generally humid anyway over many parts, although it only really 'feels' humid and warm (close) above 20C. Below say 18C humidity can feel uncomfortable and rather cold.

This will be the case I suspect for all of Scotland, NI, IOM and NW England and parts of Northern Wales through the week. Some rain, high humidity relative to temperatures, however feeling very cool and well uncomfortable!

Personally I'm not looking forward to it, but unfortunately this far north you have to be aware that if you have a good start to summer, the remainder of the summer or the best part of it, will be poor, cool and wet in most cases. I have enjoyed my summer so far, and I'm sure I'll get criticised for suggesting my feelings that a summer of warmth and settled is all but over here in northwest, but it's only really easy to understand if you're living up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Hot? mmmm. Anyway it looks like we will see a continue in the temperature drop and more chance of rain. Wednesday looks like it will be wet.

Hot, hehe! I know phrases like that to describe temperature are subjective, but HOT? Today is about 22-24C and it feels really quite relatively cool today...this is the first day (not night obviously) in over two weeks where the temperature has failed to get into the mid to high 20s.

Just adding to the temperature debate and for a bit of fun to see how us lot across different parts of the UK react to temperatures, and proving the point that what we call hot/cold is totally subjective - for this time of year,this is how I categorise UK temperatures (i.e not abroad as most of us don't have to 'live' in those conditions) V Hot, Hot, V Warm, Warm, Ok, Cool, Cold, Very Cold - left figure representing daytime figures, right figure for nightime. This is assuming there is no strong breeze/wind and humidity is relatively low.

>34C/>21C Very Hot

>31C/>19C Hot

>27C/>18C Very Warm

>25C/>17C Warm

>22C/>14C Ok

>19C/>11C Cool

>16C/>10C Cold

<15C/<10C Very Cold

Posted

It is not the heat that I mind.....it is the humidity that comes with it in this country.

A dry heat can be pleasant, but feeling sweaty 24/7 is not a good feeling.

Maybe I need to move back up north! lol.

Posted

It is not the heat that I mind.....it is the humidity that comes with it in this country.

A dry heat can be pleasant, but feeling sweaty 24/7 is not a good feeling.

Maybe I need to move back up north! lol.

True - Friday just gone was iirc 28-29C with very high humidity, which was FAR FAR FAR more uncomfortable than the 31C the previous weekend...made for a great evening outside though, which is one of the joys the higher humidity brings, much warmer evenings for sitting outside having a drink :good:

Posted

True - Friday just gone was iirc 28-29C with very high humidity, which was FAR FAR FAR more uncomfortable than the 31C the previous weekend...made for a great evening outside though, which is one of the joys the higher humidity brings, much warmer evenings for sitting outside having a drink :good:

I agree.....in a shady patch outside it is not too bad.

Inside though when trying to sleep and it is not good.

I hope that we get a good thunderstorm at the end of this! :whistling:

Posted

Rather topical - was just having a chat with a Portugese decorator who is in the office, saying that it's too hot!! He's PORTUGESE! He said that 25-30C in London is too much cope with, whereas 40C in Portugal is more easier, as they often have a breeze!

40C in Portugal easier to cope with than 30C in London - there's some subjectivity for you :good:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Rather topical - was just having a chat with a Portugese decorator who is in the office, saying that it's too hot!! He's PORTUGESE! He said that 25-30C in London is too much cope with, whereas 40C in Portugal is more easier, as they often have a breeze!

40C in Portugal easier to cope with than 30C in London - there's some subjectivity for you :lol:

All to do with the humidity I guess.

222-24C cool blimey you have your central heating too high by the sounds of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

All to do with the humidity I guess.

Yes, 22-24c would be a very warm day here. Only a handful of days exceed 24c in an average year and anything above 25c is hot.

Posted

Indeed.

It's currently 20c here and it's warm :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Its felt warm enough here today at 19c max even with a moderate Nw breeze. The sun is very bright and strong. 25c is very warm and 27c hot i have always categorised. After all some years from the midlands and wales north fail to make 27c.<br />Noticeably cooler summer nights here cf Coventry, 12c min is a warmish night here while most nights in july are above that in a city.

Edited by Tonyh

Yes, 22-24c would be a very warm day here. Only a handful of days exceed 24c in an average year and anything above 25c is hot.

Out of interest, what is the highest temperature you have ever recorded there?

Posted

I wonder, with this summer being so hot and dry so far and no real signs of any major changes to the system, come August could we see temperature records tumbling?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I wonder, with this summer being so hot and dry so far and no real signs of any major changes to the system, come August could we see temperature records tumbling?

I wouldnt say its been that hot, just consistently very warm. Today looks like its brought to an end an impressive run of 25c+ days. However with such an impressive run of warmth i would have expected at least a couple of days to reach the low 30s. Still theres such a long way to go and with things looking very promising for a continuation of the warmth i wouldnt bet againist somewhere reaching 33-35c before the summer is out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Out of interest, what is the highest temperature you have ever recorded there?

31.7c on Aug 3rd 1990. It reached 30.1c on Aug' 2nd 1990 and these are the only 2 days ever to reach 30c here.