Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

If you're anything like me Stuart,they most probably will!!!lol

Gutted you missed out again Jane! I think you gave us your Storm clouds. I can leave the no storms club at last now after a nice little storm around 1am. :)

Today, Tuesday/Wednesday is the next chance. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just ventured outside and it's a bit warmer than I expected and the sun is coming out through the (clearing) low cloud. Maybe something will happen today after all.

Wish i could say the same but here on the coast its overcast, cold with low cloud steaming in on a pretty stiff breeze.... Hope conditions improve but i'm not convinced it will.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Thought it was the afternoon/evening of beer that was making my eyes flash. In seriousness we could see the distant flashes throughout the late evening towards and beyond the M1 towards Notts.

Sky seem to be brightening up to the SW at the moment

HAHAHA! I thought the same thing when i saw the flashes too! I had a vodka filled BBQ day and was inside with the curtains shut watchin telly by that point, when i saw the brightest flash through the bottom of my front room door, which leads to a hallway- so the lightning had to come through 2 doors (proper front door, down the hall way to the front room door) to see the flash that bright. I was like ay???? cc_confused.gif Then I heard the long rumbling deep bass thunder go on for ages, and was like roadrunner to the window, dropping everything in my lap and tearing through the front room like i was on fire to get my face pressed up against the glass. Weird thing to, was there was a chinese lantern way up in the sky that wasnt moving or drifting anywhere for like 15 minutes. It was dead eerie in the sky, being all on fire, with all the lightning.

Need the sun to break out now for some convective development. Its brightening up here and the rain has slowed down to a hard drizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Man, I wish i was over in france right now.

There are gonna be some MASSIVE storms about this eve.

Doubt anything will pop up here today :)

£60 to use the chunnel? Thought it was cheaper..

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

Looks like some showers are bubbling up around bristol, the wind has picked up here in swindon, things are looking good for around here already! :)

bbc news said heavy thundery showers today and they put one right over us so you never know :)

Crosses fingers.

I may just go and cut the hedge, That normally makes it rain.

Posted

Severe warning just issued for me;

Yorkshire & Humber: E Riding of Yorkshire Kingston upon Hull N Lincolnshire NE Lincolnshire York Heavy Rain 1145 Sun 6 1800 Sun 6 Heavy and thundery showers will spread slowly northeastwards across parts of northern England during today, giving rainfall totals in excess of 15mm in 3 hours.

The public are advised to take care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0944 Sun 6 Jun

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Hmm I wonder why Estofex haven't planned for any storms today, thats pretty unusual especially when france and us seem to be have them/be in with a chance for them.

I can see convection starting to the SE here, though whether shropshire gets anything today is anyones guess.

Kain

Posted

Hmm I wonder why Estofex haven't planned for any storms today, thats pretty unusual especially when france and us seem to be have them/be in with a chance for them.

I can see convection starting to the SE here, though whether shropshire gets anything today is anyones guess.

Kain

I think its because unlike France, any storms that do develop here will be isolated and fairly weak, and the main reason is that they will be elevated with not much surface based CAPE about.

Posted

storm south of me which is heading gillingham north kent area has really got going now.. id say lightning every 20-30 secs from where i am.. raining over me, so im hoping development is now starting here.. could be a join up of the cell south which is flashing away and the one over london.. which isnt!!

That woke me up around 12.45am - didnt go over head, but close enough. Not sure if there were any more storms afterwards - if there were, I slept through them laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

GFS 06z slightly better with Cape being moved West a bit. Lapse rates are reasonable too. Overall, most of what you need for a good non severe storm is there. Dew points look good today too still.

Posted

I wonder if expectation was a little too high last night? When you look at the number of posts in the last thread and everyone 'willing' it on; then compare it to the forecast charts running up to overnight (which were not showing lots of potential), they seem to have been about right.

Always another day and some people may get something today no doubt. I'm personally looking forward to Tuesday's run up now to see what that might bring. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

I really hope this summer heats up a bit, as even though its not totally neccessary, I always find that heat is such a key figure for good storms (hence why France is always bathed in storms biggrin.gif)

If this summer can come out like 2006, that would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Tuesday is what I am looking forward to, and even though the met Office forcast for the end 2 weeks of June isnt great heatwise, I am hoping this will change.

Give me freezing cold in Winter with blizzard conditions, and super-insanity-heat in summer with tonnes of storms, and I will be a very happy bunny!! laugh.gif

Anyone know what the cape values were 12z last night for midlands area? Just curious as I wasnt at home and dont have the charts to view yesterdays forcasts. Just would be interesting to know, since we had a really nice storm at 10.30pm.

Posted

That woke me up around 12.45am - didnt go over head, but close enough. Not sure if there were any more storms afterwards - if there were, I slept through them laugh.gif

yep! that was pretty close! Not quite overhead slightly too n/w me thinks but it was so brilliant to see it! i was looking directly at the sky when chatham got that massive flash and bang and that lightning made my eyes go weird! nearly blinded me lol! i have to put ear plugs in at night if im gonna get any sleep because hubby snores so i would have slept right through if another storm had come my way!

Posted

I wonder if expectation was a little too high last night? When you look at the number of posts in the last thread and everyone 'willing' it on; then compare it to the forecast charts running up to overnight (which were not showing lots of potential), they seem to have been about right.

Always another day and some people may get something today no doubt. I'm personally looking forward to Tuesday's run up now to see what that might bring. :)

I totally agree with you Coast.

Whether its, gales, thunderstorms or snow, it will always happen :)

Tuesday is certainly looking good for your area, although its a headache once again with the GFS. I think the NAE has been the most consistant model of late.

regards

I really hope this summer heats up a bit, as even though its not totally neccessary, I always find that heat is such a key figure for good storms (hence why France is always bathed in storms biggrin.gif)

If this summer can come out like 2006, that would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Tuesday is what I am looking forward to, and even though the met Office forcast for the end 2 weeks of June isnt great heatwise, I am hoping this will change.

Give me freezing cold in Winter with blizzard conditions, and super-insanity-heat in summer with tonnes of storms, and I will be a very happy bunny!! laugh.gif

Anyone know what the cape values were 12z last night for midlands area? Just curious as I wasnt at home and dont have the charts to view yesterdays forcasts. Just would be interesting to know, since we had a really nice storm at 10.30pm.

Generally around your area between 9pm and 1:30am cape ranged from 500-800 with a lifted index of -2 to -4

Posted

I totally agree with you Coast.

Whether its, gales, thunderstorms or snow, it will always happen tongue.gif

Tuesday is certainly looking good for your area, although its a headache once again with the GFS. I think the NAE has been the most consistant model of late.

regards

Generally around your area between 9pm and 1:30am cape ranged from 500-800 with a lifted index of -2 to -4

good.gif thanks!!!

Posted

Just started to rain here and hopefully as it moves more inland could produce something better for the midlands :) il keep an eye on it for you.

Posted

A few small sharp showers in Wales already. :)

Posted

A few small sharp showers in Wales already. :)

Yes iv noticed that aswel it seems that its developing earlier today.

Posted

Always another day and some people may get something today no doubt. I'm personally looking forward to Tuesday's run up now to see what that might bring. good.gif

Yep but thats probably more of a result of the fact we've had very little in the way of convective fun thus far.

The convection down here in the SE was actually a little better then I expected, another wave of cels formed around 2am and gave a very neat display of pure white lightning.

Posted

Hi all, first time poster here. I live up near Matlock in the Derbyshire Dales - last night between about 10pm and 11.30pm we had some incredible lightning off towards the east (towards Nottingham - which would tally) and some very distant rumbles of thunder. The storm itself missed us though and we didn't have any rain, or even any loud rumbles. I had a drive out for half an hour to get a closer look at the lightning and it looked amazing over Nottingham!

This morning the ground is wet and it seems like we may have had a storm around 8am looking at some of the charts - I must have slept right through it :(

Posted

Hi all, first time poster here. I live up near Matlock in the Derbyshire Dales - last night between about 10pm and 11.30pm we had some incredible lightning off towards the east (towards Nottingham - which would tally) and some very distant rumbles of thunder. The storm itself missed us though and we didn't have any rain, or even any loud rumbles. I had a drive out for half an hour to get a closer look at the lightning and it looked amazing over Nottingham!

This morning the ground is wet and it seems like we may have had a storm around 8am looking at some of the charts - I must have slept right through it :(

Congrats on having a storm, Welcome to the forum.