Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Difference In Loss Of Daylight Between Morning And Evening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've tried Googling this but with little success.

Could someone explain why it is that, after the summer solstice, the rate of daylight loss is greater at sunrise than at sunset for several weeks, and then is greater at sunset than at sunrise so that by late August the amount of daylight lost at each end of the day is almost the same.

I had always assumed, wrongly, that the rate of loss was about even at each end of the day.

Posted

Like you TM it also puzzles me, a similar thing occurs after the shortest day with one end, can't remember which, gaining more than the other for some time?

hello experts-help please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thanks very much C.R. I had a vague idea that the elliptical orbit had something to do with it but couldn't fathom out why.

Posted

On the 22nd of June the sun is above the horizon for 3 seconds less than the day preceeding,for my locale. Blink and you'll miss it but hey,it's a step in the right direction,and from there on in the pace accelerates.

Posted

On the 22nd of June the sun is above the horizon for 3 seconds less than the day preceeding,for my locale. Blink and you'll miss it but hey,it's a step in the right direction,and from there on in the pace accelerates.

Bah humbug! It's downhill all the way to Christmas after the summer solstice! :):):p :lol:

Only good thing is the long nights mean there's a better chance of seeing some Arorae if this present solar cycle realy kicks off.