Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Eno Eruotor

Posted

Deary me, BBC NW have a lot to answer for, for digging her up to do the local weather forecasts

She maybe a lovely lady but it is clear she is meteorologically clueless.

A couple of weeks ago she said, we in the NW have had clearing skies today according to her. Clearing skies? Infact, cloud cover had increased during the day through convection.

She said the other night despite the cloud and rain, it will be a mild night. Its usually is because of it!

It would be nice to have a presenter that at least knows what they are talking about

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Deary me, BBC NW have a lot to answer for, for digging her up to do the local weather forecasts

A couple of weeks ago she said, we in the NW have had clearing skies today according to her. Clearing skies? Infact, cloud cover had increased during the day through convection.

She said the other night despite the cloud and rain, it will be a mild night. Its usually is because of it!

It would be nice to have a presenter that at least knows what they are talking about

This seems to happen a lot. They would rather have somebody that looks good than actually knows what they are talking about.

The girls on sky or channel 5 are the worst!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It sounds as though you have the equivalent of the East Midland's Des Coleman. I'm sure he's a nice enough bloke but he's equally meteorologically clueless.

To hear him deliver the forecast he's been given by the Met' Office is no more informative than if the same forecast was presented to a random member of the public and they were asked to interpret it. In fact it would be more informative if the local radio programme presenter simply read out the Met' Office forecast.

At least we wouldn't have forecasts along the lines of, 'You know, it's a wonderful start to the day and it's going to be a wonderful day but as we go through the morning we have that system out west and that rain is going to fall as showers. And into the afternoon we have some wonderful sunshine and that cloud is going to be pushing in all the time bringing that rain'

I kid you not!

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

It sounds as though you have the equivalent of the East Midland's Des Coleman. I'm sure he's a nice enough bloke but he's equally meteorologically clueless.

To hear him deliver the forecast he's been given by the Met' Office is no more informative than if the same forecast was presented to a random member of the public and they were asked to interpret it. In fact it would be more informative if the local radio programme presenter simply read out the Met' Office forecast.

At least we wouldn't have forecasts along the lines of, 'You know, it's a wonderful start to the day and it's going to be a wonderful day but as we go through the morning we have that system out west and that rain is going to fall as showers. And into the afternoon we have some wonderful sunshine and that cloud is going to be pushing in all the time bringing that rain'

I kid you not!

Ah yes, I feel sorry for those of you who miss out on Paul Hudson. I'm not sure about his qualifications, but he's always seemed pretty knowledgeable, and even better can hardly contain his excitement if there's any hint of snow. No 'well at least it will be mild' nonsense from Paul !

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

We have Michael Fish doing the BBC SE forecast occasionally, enough said.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My favourite local presenter was the North East's Bob Johnson- one of the very few qualified meteorologists that ITV employed. He always came across as having a strong understanding of, and interest in, the weather, and he had a very inimitable style of presenting, including deliberately choosing the names of towns on the weather map to form anagrams. He'd use phrases like "getting down to about 2 or 3 Celsius out in the sticks there, so chances of a few skitey bits" and "come the morning time, starting on the driech side". Sadly retired now though.

In contrast to the national forecasts, I think BBC's local North East & Cumbria forecasts have shown some improvement in recent years, and are often a lot more informative than the national ones. I recall that whenever I've seen Hannah Bayman's forecasts (I think she appeared on N-W for a bit last winter) they've tended to be pretty good, and there's another, male, forecaster (I can't remember his name) who is alright. However across the UK as a whole the general trend is clearly downward, and I can't think of one ITV North East forecaster that I enjoy watching the forecasts of since Bob Johnson's retirement.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Ah yes, I feel sorry for those of you who miss out on Paul Hudson. I'm not sure about his qualifications, but he's always seemed pretty knowledgeable, and even better can hardly contain his excitement if there's any hint of snow. No 'well at least it will be mild' nonsense from Paul !

I agree, Paul Hudson is very good. I'm fortunate enough to be able to see either Look North or Midlands Today so if the lamentable Des Coleman appears on screen it's a rapid change to Look North.

The only problem is, I'm at the very western edge of the Look North forecast area which tends to deal with South Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Humberside.

Still, better to watch someone who knows what they're talking about deal with the area adjacent to yours rather than a meaningless forecast for your own area.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

Eno also keeps going on about how mild the nights are due to temperatures staying in double figures. It's July for crying out loud! It rarely goes below 10C here at this time of year.

I have to say though the North West Tonight team in general are pretty hyperbolic when it comes to the weather: Gordon Burns almost wet himself when 24C was forecast in late May.

I had the pleasure of watching his forecasts when living in Sheffield. It's refreshing to see someone who doesn't go all apocalyptic when it comes to snow.

On the other hand, you should have seen Dianne Oxberry (NW Tonight) presenting one forecast back in January: she looked like she was making a speech at a funeral.

Posted

A fully paid member with all the Met qualifications, served at Bracknell working on the forecast bench dealing with hurricane forecasts for a time. Moved north when Bob Rust retired.

Education

His parents bought him his first 'kids weather centre' when he was seven. He went to the Brontë Middle School and Oakbank School on Oakworth Road in Keighley. He has a first-class degree in Geophysics and Planetary Physics from the University of Newcastle. His early memories of local weather forecasting came from fellow Yorkshireman Bob Rust.

Career

Television

He can be seen on both editions of the regional news programme Look North, from Leeds (serving North, West and South Yorkshire and the North Midlands) and Hull (serving East Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and north Norfolk). He returned to the BBC Yorkshire weather centre from the Met Office's old home of Bracknell in 1997 when Darren Bett left to present national forecasts.

BBC climate change correspondent

Although most BBC forecasters are not directly employed by the BBC, but by the MOD's Met Office, since 2007 Paul is now a full-time member of BBC staff, not the Met Office, acting as an environmental and climate change expert. He gives talks on the subject to local organisations and schools.

Radio

He can also be heard on BBC Radio Leeds, BBC Radio Sheffield, BBC Radio York, BBC Radio Humberside and BBC Radio Lincolnshire and has appeared on BBC One's Morning Show.

Wetwang public office</SPAN>

In May 2006, Paul was elected honorary Mayor of Wetwang. This post was previously occupied by Richard Whiteley.[2]

Edited by johnholmes