Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August CET

Posted

Media wires are saying it has been the coolest August since 1993 with not one day recording a maximum of at least 27.0C

The PWS forecast for this August earlier this year looks highly embarrassing now!

LOL! What was that about the chance of record breaking heat? :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Media wires are saying it has been the coolest August since 1993 with not one day recording a maximum of at least 27.0C

The PWS forecast for this August earlier this year looks highly embarrassing now!

Lets be honest the majority of PWS forecasts turn out to be wrong! whistling.gif

This August has certainly been a contrast to the start of the summer, with the end of May and June being dry and warm-very warm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A brief review of August's weather stats for Ireland by Met Eireann http://met.ie/metadmin/useruploads/file/aug10sum.pdf

Posted

The August 2010 CET is out. Not as big a downward adjustment as some months or some recent Augusts, like 2007, but the final CET for last month is 15.3, or 15.26 rounded up.

Definitely recorded the coolest August in 17 years by that measure, but the coolness was nothing like 1986 and still a good bit less cool than 1993. Still it was also the first time since 1993 that August recorded a CET at least 0.5*C below the 1961-90 average.

The main cool spell came late in the month. For the rest of the month temperatures stayed mostly average to cool.

Posted

Hadley site ain't working for me either.

How'd you get that info NEB?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A brief review of August's weather stats for Ireland by Met Eireann http://met.ie/metadmin/useruploads/file/aug10sum.pdf

Very interesting to see that Southern Ireland had a fairly sunny dry month, in contrast to most of the UK. Presumably some of those active depressions must have delivered large amounts of cloud and some rain to England, Wales and Scotland but largely missed Ireland.

Posted

A brief review of August's weather stats for Ireland by Met Eireann http://met.ie/metadm...le/aug10sum.pdf

Thanks NDS,

Interesting to see a low of 0.6c at gurteen and a grass min of -1.9c at casement, both on the 30th.

Posted

Can anyone get the Hadley site today? Its not working here.

Ah, I have been monitoring this over recent months and it seems to me that the page for the monthly CET gets taken down at the start of the new month......perhaps it is whilst they are making their adjustments?

I don't know what these adjustments are, though. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Ah, I have been monitoring this over recent months and it seems to me that the page for the monthly CET gets taken down at the start of the new month......perhaps it is whilst they are making their adjustments?

I don't know what these adjustments are, though. :)

You would think a small note rather then no site link, are well.

Posted

Hadley site ain't working for me either.

How'd you get that info NEB?

Google "mean cet data" and click on the "Cached" button on the "Current Mean" link. For some bizarre reason the finalised Daily Data link still works if you click on it, even though most of the site displays a broken link message.

Posted

Very interesting to see that Southern Ireland had a fairly sunny dry month, in contrast to most of the UK. Presumably some of those active depressions must have delivered large amounts of cloud and some rain to England, Wales and Scotland but largely missed Ireland.

Yup. One of those rare dry, sunny and cool summer months. Quite a contrast from July. Cork Airport went from 134.8mm of rain(206% average) in July to just 17.1mm (19%) in August

Just incase anyone here that isn't too familiar with the Met Eireann site is interested, they give more detailed monthly weather reviews, with a few international sections, going back to 1986 here LINK

Google "mean cet data" and click on the "Cached" button on the "Current Mean" link. For some bizarre reason the finalised Daily Data link still works if you click on it, even though most of the site displays a broken link message.

Cheers, that's a very handy trick!

Posted

The CET mean for the 30th was just 11.9C, which I make as the lowest in August since 23rd August 1993 (11.2C). I wonder if that makes it the coldest August Bank Holiday ever recorded; would be highly ironic if it was, given how summery it felt!

The CET minimum for the 31st was a chilly 5.1C, the lowest in August since 20th August 1964 I believe (4.7C).

The CET for the summer quarter came in at 15.87 - the joint 81st warmest in the series and just above 2009.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Posted

The CET mean for the 30th was just 11.9C, which I make as the lowest in August since 23rd August 1993 (11.2C). I wonder if that makes it the coldest August Bank Holiday ever recorded;

Nope, the August 1986 bank holiday was colder. Remember that day well! Wet, wet, and wet!

Posted

The finishing CET reflects how persistantly cool August was - very dissapointing month, not as wet as July by a long chalk up here but every bit as dull with woefully suppressed maxima - barely a day when you could call it summery weather.

September already has produced two days with maxima higher than most days in July and August. Looks like summer 2010 will do go down as the one bookended with two warm settled spells i.e. late May and early Sept but with nothing in it comparable to those two spells apart from late June - a dissapointing summer in the main on many counts.

Coldest August since 1993 is very notable - along with January and May, 2010 is producing some notably cool/cold months compared to recent years.

August CET figures are now in

Nobody got 15.3c spot on, but Optimus Prime, summer blizzard, fozfoster and AtlanticFlamethrower were each only 0.3c out.

No change in the top 2 Stu_London (1) and Polar Side (2) but davehsug moves up to 3rd.

In the Summer Comp, Thundery wintry showers won reef in 2nd Stu_London in 3rd. Previosu leader sundog was eliminated for no entry in August.