Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Jellyfish Clouds?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

4811899102_7e75a0ef03_b.jpg

Hi everyone

This is my first post on the forum and im really enjoying reading all the topics and the place seems really friendly.

I took this picture's early July 2010 and it reminds me off jellyfish and after some searching on the net i came across Altocumulus Castellanus, do you think the pictures above are Altocumulus Castellanus or something else.

Cheers in advance.

Del.

Posted

Hi everyone

This is my first post on the forum and im really enjoying reading all the topics and the place seems really friendly.

I took this picture's early July 2010 and it reminds me off jellyfish and after some searching on the net i came across Altocumulus Castellanus, do you think the pictures above are Altocumulus Castellanus or something else.

Cheers in advance.

Del.

nice pics mate...

where did you take these

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The Jelly fish part of the cloud is called "virga"....as in Altocumulus Castellanus Virga, or Altocumulus Floccus with Virga

Posted

Yes that's correct, usually described as "With trailing Virga"

You are seeing a wintry shower at high altitude, usually the visible precipitation melts and evaporates with little if any reaching the ground.

It always surprises me that quite so much snow can come out of such small clouds.

Stitched panorama from July 2004.

I think they are a 'summer' thing.

10348429.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted

normaly a TS will form within a few hrs of these clouds...BUT WE live in the UK...where the english weather is un-predictable at times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I took this photo 4 hours before our first and only (thus far) thundery plume event of 2010 (early June)

These do not exhibit virga and thus may not be classified "jellyfish" clouds in the strictest sense, but they are 'top heavy' and form in the same mid-level unstable conditions as AcCas and our other 'thunder precursor' friends :wallbash:

post-3790-058125500 1279622792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

Posted

Hi everyone

Cheers in advance.

Del.

the photographs appear to be of fairly shallow Cumulus with virga trailing from them, not higher type unstable clouds?

welcome to Net Wx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

ThanX every one

I took the shots in Hull,i saw the first one late in the afternoon 15th then the rest early morning on the 16th. Never seen this before but i did see something similar but it was upside down version off the jelly?

Cheers Del.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Nice one Del