Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How was your July weather?

Posted

It's been menacingly dull here, the lack of sunshine hasn't done anybody any good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's been remarkable how many cloudy days we've had when it was supposed to be sunshine and showers. My suspicion is that convective clouds have typically formed, then encountered a cap or inversion (or convection simply hasn't been vigorous enough) and then spread out into stratocumulus covering most of the sky.

Posted

It's like we are stuck in a time loop. Every day we are promised something different to overcast muck, yet every day is the same! Since I have come back off my hols I don't think I have had a day that hasn't been dominated by overcast muck.

The fact the Upper's are quite cool at the moment makes it even stranger as usually cooler uppers in these sort of setups bring plenty of sunshine, the GFS forecast barely any cloud across the country today, i recall similar setups last summer which gave plenty of sunshine and also around the middle (20/21st ish?) of April this year when the UV index is pretty similar to what it is in August so it is somewhat confusing as to how so much cloud is getting dragged in all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

It's been remarkable how many cloudy days we've had when it was supposed to be sunshine and showers. My suspicion is that convective clouds have typically formed, then encountered a cap or inversion (or convection simply hasn't been vigorous enough) and then spread out into stratocumulus covering most of the sky.

I still think that the Icelandic eruption earlier in the year has had something to do with this. Particle cloud seeding?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Very frustrating weather - just very brief fleeting sunny spells with mostly lead grey skies. Temps are fine by night but too cool during the day. Was at a wedding yesterday and sitting outside was fine for us blokes in big suits but too cold for the ladies in summer dresses. We did manage a few lovely minutes of sunshine in which it did feel warm enough but otherwise the nagging breeze made for a lot of 'can we go inside please'...

Posted

I still think that the Icelandic eruption earlier in the year has had something to do with this. Particle cloud seeding?

I don't think its to do with that, we had very clear sunny weather around the peak of the eruption in Mid April and there was that weekend in May (23rd - 24th) which brought some of the clearest purest blue skies ive ever seen in the UK, definately the best weekend of the year, warmest and sunniest by far here, though June was also very sunny at times, its just a shock that July has had over 100 hours less sunshine than June for most parts.

Posted

Ive looked on here twice now and am very surprised....July here on average as been great with many fantastic sunny days or sunny intervals..

by the looks of it very different in some parts

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

I would sum the month up by saying it's been good for the gardens (and our skin snowyowl19)

plus good for discussion on the net :whistling:

The fact the Upper's are quite cool at the moment makes it even stranger as usually cooler uppers in these sort of setups bring plenty of sunshine,

Yes but by this time of year the 548 dam line has retreated well north, the airmass though cool compared to what we could be having this time of year is still mild, check out dewpoint charts, to me these kind of mildish airmasses from the northwest always bring a high risk of grey overcast muck, thats why summer is my least favourite season now at least in spring PM airmasses are dominant just to our north and west and you get lovely clear crisp air and strong sunshine.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I would sum the month up by saying it's been good for the gardens (and our skin snowyowl19)

plus good for discussion on the net :whistling:

Not in the southeast mate, my garden is brown and the earth is bone dry. We have not had a decent

fall of rain in a couple of months and had mostly dry sunny days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Here goes.

1st July - 1st August - Not one sunny day.

Annoyingly just looked out the window, now that the sun has gone down, the skies have turned blue. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The fact the Upper's are quite cool at the moment makes it even stranger as usually cooler uppers in these sort of setups bring plenty of sunshine

No real cold pool aloft and lack of boundary-layer warmth and moisture has inhibited deep convection across most of the UK during this lengthy spell of uneventfulness. Reason being that heights have been relatively high and direction of the airflow isn't exactly the most potentially unstable.

Comparing charts from the past, I think Weather09 is right. If we look at today's chart for instance:

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100801/12/00/h500slp.png

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100801/12/00/hgt500-1000.png

...heights are between 558 and 570 dam, thicknesses between 550 and 556 dam for most.

In contrast, if we take a look at some of the "clean" NW flows of recent Julys which brought sunshine, sharp showers and local thunder:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00120040704.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2007/Rrea00120070728.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120090724.gif

...note that in particular the 500mbar heights are much lower, suggesting colder air aloft.

The resulting lack of vigorous convection probably does explain the tendency for the clouds to spread into stratocumulus instead of sprouting up into cumulonimbus cells. I also note reports from the Tyneside area that they had a decent amount of sun today as well as some showers, suggesting that the airmass is a bit less stable over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

There is a good point about this cloudcover,you don`t get sunburnt/Or skin cancer later in years.

Not true I'm afraid - this cloud cover does not prevent dangerous UV reaching your skin. Having come across someone yesterday who'd burnt quite badly recently under these grey skies I can certainly vouch for it. She thought it was too cloudy to burn - she was wrong. No doubt it is somewhat less strong than clear skies but the main reason we see less burning under cloud is people are not sunbathing and are more likely to cover up to keep warm. Be careful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Here goes.

1st July - 1st August - Not one sunny day.

Annoyingly just looked out the window, now that the sun has gone down, the skies have turned blue. :whistling:

Sorry I told a lie. Not one FULL sunny day. Here's my records.

Sunday 18th July 2010 - A mostly cloudy day with outbreaks of light to moderate rain and drizzle. Glimpses of sunshine and temperatures peaking at 21c.

Monday 19th July 2010 - A mostly sunny morning at around 20c, with some cloud now and then. Afternoon turned out glourious until around 3pm. Outbreaks of rain. Temperature peaked at 26.2c.Rain continued throughout the day, only stopping at brief interludes.

Tuesday 20th July 2010 - A mostly cloudy morning of about 20c. Sun made an appearence for a few minutes, but has now dissapeared. Heavy persistent rain throughout the afternoon. Not as warm either - maximum was 20.2c. Heavy persistent rain lead to flooding.

Wednesday 21st July 2010 - A lovely sunny morning with hardly a cloud in the sky. Not warm though, it's around 15c at 9:20am. Expecting a day of sunshine with the possibility of a brief shower. 40mm of rain was recorded yesterday and overnight.

Throughout the afternoon, showers of torrential rain developed. It was lovely when the sun came out but towards the end of the day after tea, thunder has been heard. Around 10mm of rain here today, but lovely in the sun when it came back out! :)

Thursday 22nd July 2010 - Started off as rainy but has since brightened up a little. Afternoon was cloudy with frequent sunny spells! Dry too, no more rain. :) Lovely day it turned out to be. Great spells of sunshine with a maximum of 21c. :D

Friday 23rd July 2010 - A horrible gloomy overcast day. Not a glimpse of sun, and not that warm. Just over 17c.

Saturday 24th July 2010 - Morning was lovely. Sunny spells and warm. It soon clouded over though, with drizzle from time to time. Highs of 21c.

Sunday 25th July 2010 - A cloudy but dry day. 19c max.

Monday 26th July 2010 - A horrible day with moderate rain throughout. 21c max.

Tuesday 27th July 2010 - A bright but cloudy start with spits of rain. 17c.

Wednesday - Bright with sunny spells. 22c.

Thursday - Outbreaks of rain, cloudy.

Friday - Cloudy 20c

Saturday - Cloudy 22c

Sunday - Cloudy 22c

July was a split of several different phases, a disappointing start, then a very wet 2nd week, the 3rd week was a mix including the Tuesday being an absolute washout, but there were some sunny intervals, the final week was the driest and warmest, with some decent sunny spells most days, but not wall to wall sunshine by any means.

Overall though July was wetter than average, although probably drier compared to 2007 to 2009, and overall disappointing month, but not worse than the poor previous 3.

As we moved into August today, there were long sunny spells, especially in the evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Sunshine has been very limited, especially in the second half of July but i certainly dont agree with the critisism of July by some on here. I have very rarely had to abandon outdoor plans because of rain, which happened so much in the past 3 summers. Temperatures have consistently been in the low 20s so its been pleasantly warm and i am very satisfied with the hot weather we had early in the summer and i wouldnt be devastated if we didnt get any more. People who say that its been the worst July ever must have very short memories indeed.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

Sunshine has been very limited, especially in the second half of July but i certainly dont agree with the critisism of July by some on here. I have very rarely had to abandon outdoor plans because of rain, which happened so much in the past 3 summers. Temperatures have consistently been in the low 20s so its been pleasantly warm and i am very satisfied with the hot weather we had early in the summer and i wouldnt be devastated if we didnt get any more. People who say that its been the worst July ever must have very short memories indeed.

It's all dependant on location though, places like Yorkshire done well out of many of the setups in July being east of the Pennines which brought temperatures up into the mid twenty's many times whilst the west of the Pennines never, 21-27 out of 31 days having less than 5 hours of sunshine from here North Westwards generally says it all really.

Edited by conor123

Posted

Its been a very poor July indeed. Most days have been cloudy or wet, the absence of sunny skies has been the most notable feature. Most mornings were cloudy.

We had a very wet July 10 inches most of which fell during the second and third weeks with a very wet spell between the 10th and 21st.

Not one day reaching 21 degrees.

A month to forget!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I think you all need to move to Somerset, we've had a splendid summer - there's been the odd cloudy, drizzly day but mostly sunny and very dry. Nights have been a bit too muggy for my liking though.

Posted

And tada the usual routine of it being overcast before 10am has happened for the 12th day in a row.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I think you all need to move to Somerset, we've had a splendid summer - there's been the odd cloudy, drizzly day but mostly sunny and very dry. Nights have been a bit too muggy for my liking though.

Been best summer in years in somerset I must agree!

Normally high on mendip we see endless rain and hill hog in recent years but it really has been a wonderful summer so far. :clap:

Edited by mullender83

Posted

What a difference 100 miles makes.

Down here in Dorset we had no real snow last winter and are now having one of our better summers - certainly way better than last year.

Maybe the temperatures are a tad lower than the raging heat felt in the SE a couple of weeks back but overall it has been very pleasant.

If it turned wet and cold from here on we could not really complain.

Like others have noted, we have gone a very long time indeed without lightning or thunder.