Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How was your July weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Umm, where does it say anything about it being the 'wettest ever' July anywhere? :D

Skimming through Google News, the Daily Mail - it must be rubbish then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Are the met office making up stuff again? this month i have hardly seen a drop of rain can anybody else back up this?

All the grass in my backgarden is brown!!!!!!

:lol:

Its certainly been dry here to with only half the normal rainfall for July @about 30mms. It has been very wet in parts of the West and North though, Your location ie the London area is statistically one of the driest cities in Europe and certainly the SouthEast and East Anglia the driest part of the Uk, ironic really to have the highest population ,huddled togeather in one small area of the Uk ,which as always been prone to drought!! :lol: :lol: :shok: :lol:

Posted

Overcast and mostly dry, but quite yukkily humid. I can't stand high humidity. :lol:

Never mind, though. It's Autumn next month! :lol:

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Heatwaves? when did this happen?

Certainly been quite a wet month although i don't think its been anything over the odds for this part of the world. It has however been very overcast with little in the way of sun and temps around the 12-18c range

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Dry, humid, with a fair amount of sunshine but often cloudy. A fresh northwesterly from time to time as decayed weather fronts moved down from the northwest. Driest month of the year so far with just 24.3mm of rain falling, most of which occured in a weak thunderstorm on the 16th, which incidentally has been the only one to occur this year. As my signature shows, this is much less than recent years (unless we get a thundery Autumn!).

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted

About 5/8 cloud cover now, most blue sky I've seen in weeks. July really was abysmally dull; I can't remember a summer month so lacking in clear skies at night as well as by day- we didn't even get the "clear at 7am, overcast by 11, clears an hour before sunset" weather- it was cloudy all day *and* all night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For some of those living in the west I don't think calling it "awful" is OTT at all- having one of the top-three dullest Julys of the last 100 years has got to fall into the "exceptional" category, especially as just two years ago many areas had their dullest August since the record-breaking washout one in 1912. However considering that June was widely warmer drier and sunnier than average it would be unfair to judge the whole summer so far on the July.

For Norwich I think July teeters between 6 and 7/10. The first half was frequently hot sunny and dry, the second half frequently dull and dry, but there were a few localised torrential downpours in the Norwich area which prevented the second half from being completely unexciting. So when combined with the June I think Norwich has had a pretty good summer so far, but it was somewhat favoured in July's regional contrast.

Taking the country as a whole July 2010 has been significantly warmer, drier, yet ironically duller than the past three Julys.

I would have thought July 1988 was wetter. That month didn't prejudice any particularly region, it was disgusting everywhere.

Sunshine wise there were a few exceptions- parts of NE England and E Scotland managed slightly above average sunshine, in spite of low maxima and high rainfall, though those areas were very much the exceptions rather than the rule. Taking the country as a whole I think we are still yet to see a cooler or cloudier July than the one in 1988.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

July - well it started off fantastic with lots of warm weather day and night with plenty of sunshine. But the last two weeks have really let it down- near constant cloud and often just not quite warm enough to be pleasant. Plenty of days with early morning and evening sunny spells but with generally very dull days.

Fairly dry but a few rainy periods to prevent the dust bowl like further south.

Posted

Hi,

I am just wondering even though we are now in High Summer, July and August why is it that we are now lucky to exceed 20C on most days, never mind 25C in my location (Liverpool)? In June I would have considered myself lucky to get 25C but I would have expected tempeatures to exceed 20C on most days as a matter of course but now most days seem to be peaking in the high teens at best since the middle of July. Does anyone know when 21C/70F was last exceeded in my location, it will now feel really warm when we get 70F/21C (never mind 25C) as I think I have now acclimatised to the cooler conditions. This even now appears to be reflected in the local weather forcast on the TV as they are now describing tempeatures in the high teens as warm. I am just wondering why a weather pattern that makes it difficult to exceed 20C has been so stubborn since mid July because our average max for our area at this time of year is about 20C so statistically quite a few days in July and august should exceed 20C. Is it something to do with the seemingly endless cloud cover we have had for the last few weeks most days have at least started with 8/8 cloud cover and many have been consistantly cloudy thoughout the day, so much so that I am noticing the warmth and power of the sun when it does appear, does anyone else notice this?

Luke

Posted

I can't remember a summer month so lacking in clear skies at night as well as by day- we didn't even get the "clear at 7am, overcast by 11, clears an hour before sunset" weather- it was cloudy all day *and* all night.

August 2008?

That was exceptionally dull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Was on holiday for half of it, but since I've been back it's been dull, dull, dull. However, the temperature has been very pleasant.

Posted

Well, synoptically speaking, HP has been centred too far south-west to deliver settled conditions to the North-West UK in July, but has been close enough to the South-East to deliver settled and warmer conditions. I suspect the maritime airmasses due to the non-exertion of HP have also played a part in this, bringing the cloudier conditions on Westerly - North Westerly winds.

In another thread, Damianslaw has reported not a single day reaching 21C in his location in Cumbria, not too sure about your location, the MetO or another website might hold records for that.

July here is what I would expect from a typical British summer month, a hotter sunnier spell with cooler clouder more unsettled periods, with the temperature even in these cooler periods remaining quite warm. Though maybe for it to be a bit of a more typical British summer month, more precipitation would of have to of occured.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

According to weather online 21c hasnt been achieved in Liverpool since the 19th July which is extremely poor for mid summer.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

The Metoffice anomoly maps are up and its pretty much as expected.

Temperatures are average or above everywhere with a gradual increase in the positive anomoly as you move east. Parts of East Anglia were exceptionally warm.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2010/7/2010_7_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif

Rainfall is a classic south-east/north-west split. You can draw a line from Middlesbrough down to Exeter and north of that is very wet and south of that rather dry.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2010/7/2010_7_Rainfall_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif

Sunshine levels are average or below everywhere except the tip of Kent (and Shetland!):

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2010/7/2010_7_Sunshine_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif

Number of days with rain is rather high everywhere, despite differing amounts:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2010/7/2010_7_RainDays02_Actual.gif

So an OK month away from the north-west and very good in the south-east.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Started off fairly warm then became cool to average with the average temp just dipping below average. Rainfall well above average. I don't keep sunshine records but got the impression it was fairly cloudy with the the best of the sun very early on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The warmest July since 2006 and the driest since 1999 here. This locality missed all the heavy showers during the unsettled spell in mid-month and places only a few miles away had almost double the rain I recorded.

It was exceptionally cloudy, the dullest July since 1965 here, although Buxton recorded slightly less sunshine in July 1998.

Mean max', 19.0c ( +0.6c )

Mean min' 11.8c ( +0.7c )

Rainfall 51.9 mm ( 76% )

Sunshine, 88.9 hrs ( 62% )

The differences from average relate to the last 30 years for temp' and rainfall and to the last 10 years for sunshine.

Posted

Very nice charts there reef shows west was certainly not best,only average temps too.

Very dull,very wet in places but not here,rain falling days too many,however light.

Posted

it was warm but loads of cloud.i thought i was never going to see the sun again :drinks:

Posted

Those maps show perfectly why I hate this area in summer- the high rainfall anomalies are confined to Wales, the NW coastal areas and parts of Scotland, but the low sunshine ones stretch across into the NW Midlands. In these NW/SE splits we get all of the cloud but little of the rain.

August has been so far a repeat of July only cooler. Today the forecast was for a sunny morning, clouding over in the afternoon. What did we get? Complete overcast by 10am. For wghat seems like the 30th day running. The last time I saw a sky less than half clouded over between 8am and 8pm was in the last week of June.