Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Location For Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Winter. I live fairly high up so in the winter despite being only 10miles inland it can get very cold. Temperture difference between here and 2miles down the road in the suburbs of Cardiff is shocking. It would be -12c here and then only -4c in the suburbs of Cardiff. Snow here and no snow in the suburbs of Cardiff. Usually get first frost in October. Snow often in the winter months but when winds come from the South West Im exposed to very strong winds which do cause problems. Get the brunt of storms being right on the atlantic.

Summer. Usually wet and tempertures around 21c, night stay fairly mild. Rarely get tempertures higher than 28c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

This is one of the best places to live in the UK from my point of view (near Heathrow) as it's the hottest part of the UK during summer, and can still get very cold in winter being close to the continent. For example, the average July max here is 22.8C, and it's pretty rare for it to go under 20C from July to mid August. We also get some good heat here, in 2003 and 2006 near here I recorded 38C and 36C respectively, and generally I can expect at least several days above 30C a year and many above 25C. I also like the warmer nights that come with this, although others don't, as the average min here is about 14C in July - not too hot to sleep in but good enough to sit out in the evenings comfortably, nights below 12C are uncommon.

During winter, we benefit fom easterlies and south easterlies, but snow is sometimes the only downside, as apart from streamers we don't tend to get too much. It's also fairly dry and sunny here with about 580mm of rain a year.

Posted

Fairly decent location for interesting weather, Teesdale. Coldest/snowiest inhabited area in England and Wales is just a couple of miles further up the valley at Harwood/Langdon Beck/Forest in Teesdale area.

Here I'm located an the side of a small tributary valley running N/S about 120m above the valley floor. The valley head reaches 675m asl 2miles to the North.

Like others such as Pennine snow drifts and Terminal Moraine wind is the main feature of the weather. Luckly we are sheltered from SW winds by trees with the most violent winds coming from a NW direction. Lee wave related winds are common from the SW/W but also a more local Lee wave forms in a Northerly. Gales are common, with wind chill probably the single most notable feature of the site.

Rainfall is around 1100/1200mm annually.

Temps,low max's like similiar locations are main feature although in 2009 did get down to -9.7C. Summer temps are more suppressed than areas further south. Anything above 20C is very warm with the highest annually usually coming in at 24C ish.

Snow is a feature of the weather in winter with drifting more common than not.

Posted

For Cambridge:

Good: One of the best positions for Easterlies and a terrific position for North Easterlies due to the Wash during the winter. Can prove to be a good position as proved in February 2009 for battleground events. Summer weather very reliable as being in one of the driest counties in the country, you can plan weeks ahead and have good weather on the day of the event itself. You can expect temperatures above 30C several times in the summer. Never seen a year without a thunderstorm here either. Wildlife here is more suited to drought conditions than other counties IMO.

Bad: Temperatures in winter never get especially low compared to some other areas. North Sea cloud can affect this area annoyingly when the synoptics show for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I was brought up in Aberfeldy, Highland Perthshire, and have lived the largest part of my adult life in Dundee.

For Dundee, good: It is the driest and sunniest city in Scotland. Bad: no extreme temps and can be prone to haar at times in Summer.

For Winter again no extreme temps. Good: Can get battleground snow and used to be good for "old fashioned" Easterlies. As it is not far from the sea temps can be modified giving cold rain or sleet when not far inland gets heavy snow.

Can get strong lee of high ground winds with 100 mph not unknown on the Tay bridge. Surprisingly in Scotland it is second only to Aberdeen [a long way behind] for snow lying days [>50% cover]over the 20 year averages, at least up until the Noughties, having on average one day more than Inverness and Edinburgh.

For Aberfeldy good: Summers a degree or so higher than Dundee with a greater chance of Summer thunderstorms.

Much colder in Winter with more extreme temps [e.g. -18.7C this Winter min and a max one day of -12C] and far more snow lying days. Last three Winters 22, 37 and 70 days respectively.

Not so much bad but South Westerlies can bring heavy rain and cause local flooding, especially when associated with snowmelt and a high wind.

As I am getting on a bit I have also spent some years in Stornoway [4], Aberdeen [3], London [3], Tain [1], East Kilbride [1], Yorkshire [Hull and Leeds[1], Elgin [1] and Speyside [Aviemore and Nethybridge] [1]. Not going to bore you with all of them. Suffice to say London has hottest Summers with more thunderstorms and Speyside by far the coldest and snowiest Winters.

Posted

Well here it's good for:

*Some low minima in autumn/winter/spring, though not usually as cold as nearby rurl areas.

*Often beautiful in March/April; consistently the driest time of year with suny days which warm up quick due to the inland location, and fall away to cold nights. March is also the only month that ever seems capable of producing more than an inch or so of snow, albeit only every 5-6 years. April sunnier than at least one of June, July or Aug seems to be an annual occurrence.

*Just occasionally we can get a decent thunderstorm or two, though they've been notable by their absence the last 3 years.

*Wretched wet westerly winter months usually aren't as wet here as in many parts due to the Welsh mountain rainshadow- but they can make the Severn burst its banks.

Bad for:

*Snow. This town is an absolute joke for the white stuff; it misses us entirely to go on and plaster Birmingham, it sleets or fails to settle here at a temp of 0C while lower down the Severn valley it's sticking, we get 1cm while all around there's at least 10. Last winter took this to ridiulous lengths.

*Decent summer weather. This area is just too cloudy too much of the time- hardly ever can we get wall-to-wall sunshine between June and August. Cloud builds up in no time, we get those Cheshire Gap breezes blowing it in, and we get months like July 2010. Also when the forecast is "scattered showers" you can bet one'll hit here. Temps struggle here for some reason despite being so far inland- Birmingham and Hereford are often 2-3C warmer.

*Lack of any high ground to the east means North Sea Muck often makes it here; but we're much too far west to get any precip from a winter easterly.

Posted

west york, leeds/bradford

GOOD: summer,pleasantly warm summers, nothing too hot apart from the odd few days or week. mild nights.

Winter, great snow and in any snowy set ups usually guaranteed some snow wether it is a westerly or a n-easterly. usually on the coldest days in winter we get the coldest temps with regular ice days.

BAD: we dont get the extreme cold temps in winter, like -20. place like oxford managed near that last winter, we usually go down to -10. pennines can get colder however or hollows, but i dont like in them. i think this is to with north sea. however in cold winters like last year, the consistency for cold and sub zero temps are pretty good here, if not excellent.

it is hard to fine 10 out of 10 things for my location for summer i mean or extremely bad things because we get lucky with everything. i think winters brign the best of things, compared to summer, especially in recent years.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

I was brought up in Aberfeldy, Highland Perthshire, and have lived the largest part of my adult life in Dundee.

For Dundee, good: It is the driest and sunniest city in Scotland. Bad: no extreme temps and can be prone to haar at times in Summer.

For Winter again no extreme temps. Good: Can get battleground snow and used to be good for "old fashioned" Easterlies. As it is not far from the sea temps can be modified giving cold rain or sleet when not far inland gets heavy snow.

Can get strong lee of high ground winds with 100 mph not unknown on the Tay bridge. Surprisingly in Scotland it is second only to Aberdeen [a long way behind] for snow lying days [>50% cover]over the 20 year averages, at least up until the Noughties, having on average one day more than Inverness and Edinburgh.

For Aberfeldy good: Summers a degree or so higher than Dundee with a greater chance of Summer thunderstorms.

Much colder in Winter with more extreme temps [e.g. -18.7C this Winter min and a max one day of -12C] and far more snow lying days. Last three Winters 22, 37 and 70 days respectively.

Not so much bad but South Westerlies can bring heavy rain and cause local flooding, especially when associated with snowmelt and a high wind.

As I am getting on a bit I have also spent some years in Stornoway [4], Aberdeen [3], London [3], Tain [1], East Kilbride [1], Yorkshire [Hull and Leeds[1], Elgin [1] and Speyside [Aviemore and Nethybridge] [1]. Not going to bore you with all of them. Suffice to say London has hottest Summers with more thunderstorms and Speyside by far the coldest and snowiest Winters.

Dundee reminds me on here everytime i ring up my sister it is usually sleeting there when it sleets here but we seem to be a little bit colder than her most of the time for some reason.

Posted

Ok i live a couple of miles outside Coleraine, my area is very hilly so we can get cold temps at night because of the dips and loads of snow higher up because of the altitude.

Good: Gets alot colder than alot of places in ni because of the dips, can go further up the road and there will be a ton of snow because up there it is about 300m high ( on up is 370m). Can get a bit warm around 20c+ but is quite hard to get above 25c here and 25c is quite rare but 22/23c is really common.

Bad: Sometimes i don't get snow but further up gets snow and i'm always raging especially this april when they got 2 foot and i got nothing just slush on the roof!wallbash.gif Can rain quite alot.

Posted

South East London has similar weather to the rest of the capital but with a few differences.

We tend to be a little drier than the rest of the capital, strange though it might sound, there can be days of drizzle in west london , whilst we remain dry with some broken or low cloud.

Temperatures are often a little higher.

Good - we have warm summers, with 22 degrees often the base from June -Sep. Very strong winds are rare. We can take advantage of streamers in the winter, but they are nail bitingly elusive, but when they do happen, can be spectacular. Damaging frosts are also rare so a wide range of plants can overwinter here outside compared to many other parts of the country. Figs and olive trees and grape vines can thrive. We generally only need central heating from the beginning of November to the end of March.

Bad - the dry climate plays havoc with gardening on clay soils in this area in the summer. More often than not the ground will dry out in late May and not re-hydrate until September, meaning regular watering is needed if a lush garden is required - sometimes the effort to get enough water into the soil is enormous - several hours of the hosepipe each day.

The urban heat island effect can be a mixed blessing in winter and summer. Nights are warm in summer. London is a humidity magnet. In winter, we can be pushed the wrong side of marginal.

Its amazing, reading these posts, what a large variation in local conditions prevails in a small country, isnt it?

Edited by jimmyay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

South East London has similar weather to the rest of the capital but with a few differences.

We tend to be a little drier than the rest of the capital, strange though it might sound, there can be days of drizzle in west london , whilst we remain dry with some broken or low cloud.

Temperatures are often a little higher.

Good - we have warm summers, with 22 degrees often the base from June -Sep. Very strong winds are rare. We can take advantage of streamers in the winter, but they are nail bitingly elusive, but when they do happen, can be spectacular. Damaging frosts are also rare so a wide range of plants can overwinter here outside compared to many other parts of the country. Figs and olive trees and grape vines can thrive. We generally only need central heating from the beginning of November to the end of March.

Bad - the dry climate plays havoc with gardening on clay soils in this area in the summer. More often than not the ground will dry out in late May and not re-hydrate until September, meaning regular watering is needed if a lush garden is required - sometimes the effort to get enough water into the soil is enormous - several hours of the hosepipe each day.

The urban heat island effect can be a mixed blessing in winter and summer. Nights are warm in summer. London is a humidity magnet. In winter, we can be pushed the wrong side of marginal.

Its amazing, reading these posts, what a large variation in local conditions prevails in a small country, isnt it?

Yeah pretty similar to here, and I agree with you about the drizzle part! more often than not it's been like that here and I look on the radar to see 20 miles to our east it is bright. The warmer nights can be a nuisance in winter when looking for snow, but they are good in summer as they help to give us higher maxima. I also agree with you about the dry ground from May-September, my garden is usually very 'dusty' in summer.

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

BUMP.

Durham is excellent!

Good: Snowiest city in England, one of the coolest ones aswell, NE'ly and E'ly are just bliss here in Winter/Early Spring, and we get very cool temperatures with N'ly winds. Rain shadow of the Pennines, so much less precipitation. More sunshine aswell, and 19C as an average max in July and August, which isn't so good, but we pass 25C every year.

Bad: North Sea Low Cloud dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Here its great on hot summer days because I don't like baking weather and its only 15 minutes walk to St Annes beach for a cooling sea breeze. Not generally good for snow because of nearly zero elevation and being sheltered by the Penines and Cumbrian Fells, though last year proved that anything is possible! Hoping for a possible battleground set-up this year - atlantic low meeting cold air over the Fylde Coast!

Posted

Its quite a unique climate here, we're 9 miles from the North Sea coast and sheltered by the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Wolds in a horseshoe shape. Its reasonably sunny with 1628 hours per year on average in the last decade. Quite dry too, with under 600mm per year.

Good points: Generally warm and sunny in summer but we miss out on the warmest maxima due to our proximity to the coast - 30C has only been reached on 9 days since 1982. In winter we also benefit from northerlies where showers hug the coast. We can be quite a good spot for thunderstorms too, though recent years have been disappointing.

Bad points: lots of North Sea moderation in winter easterlies, plus we're often plagued by low cloud in Winter and Spring. Low minima are also rather rare, we've dropped below -5C just three times since December 1995 and below -10C just twice in 28 years. Snow amounts are also generally poor, with the best falls in potent easterly setups and polar low northerlies. Usually, if theres any case of marginality in winter setups we'll be on the wrong side of it. Ice days are also very rare (just 3 days since 1995). Early snow in October/November is also quite unusual due to the nearby North Sea being warm still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Good: Snowiest city in England, one of the coolest ones aswell, NE'ly and E'ly are just bliss here in Winter/Early Spring, and we get very cool temperatures with N'ly winds. Rain shadow of the Pennines, so much less precipitation. More sunshine aswell, and 19C as an average max in July and August, which isn't so good, but we pass 25C every year.

That's a common misconception- the inverse association between sunshine and rainfall is often taken for granted, but the main reason why Cumbria is generally duller than the North East is because it consists primarily of high ground and experiences a lot of orographic enhancement. A "like for like" comparison shows that Morecambe and Blackpool are comparable sunshine-wise to the east coast, while Manchester, Lancaster and Carlisle have similar sunshine totals to Leeds and Durham, despite upwards of 50% more rain. However, in my experience snow in lowland NW England tends mostly to be of the wet sleety variety, with last winter being a very rare exception.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

That's a common misconception- the inverse association between sunshine and rainfall is often taken for granted, but the main reason why Cumbria is generally duller than the North East is because it consists primarily of high ground and experiences a lot of orographic enhancement. A "like for like" comparison shows that Morecambe and Blackpool are comparable sunshine-wise to the east coast, while Manchester, Lancaster and Carlisle have similar sunshine totals to Leeds and Durham, despite upwards of 50% more rain. However, in my experience snow in lowland NW England tends mostly to be of the wet sleety variety, with last winter being a very rare exception.

Thanks TWS, very interesting.

Posted

Staplehurst (Kent):

Good: One of the warmest parts of Kent during the summer months. In the perfect NE winter setup (like 6 Jan 2010) we are right under a snow shower train. Due to how flat, low-lying we are, we also record some of the coldest temperatures in Kent during the winter months. Potential for some nice MCS' during the summer nights from France.

Bad: Very poor for storms in the summer - majority either go over east Kent, or they develop over north Kent instead. Bad for battleground events too - too often Kent is always in the warm sector of such battleground events and so we get plain old rain. Proximity to the North Sea (about 30 miles) means anticyclonic gloom can be persistent at times. Due also to the low-lying nature of the surroundings, rainfall is often less-intense than in other parts of Kent. It also makes it harder for snow to settle here.

Edited by staplehurst