Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Frost!

So far my lowest temp this month is 8.4C early yesterday morning! tonight its currently 9.6C so i think it could be our coldest night this month, although no frost is likely here! still interesting to see so many places get so low this time of year! :wallbash:

I'm not sure how rare it is to get low single figures at this time of year under high pressure, I don't think it is that rare although that depends just how low the temps get in the next couple of nights.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just checked through recent Augusts and 5c is fairly common, occurring in all but one of the previous 5 Augusts, with a ground frost as early as August 8th 2007 at min 3.5c, so thats the one to beat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I lmow it is possible for ground and even air frosts in august but I don't ever remember seeing one in august and even on the bbc forecast earlier today it said maybe a more widespread ground frost away from towns tommorow night.

I might have to get up for work an hour earlier at around 6am so i can have a look...

7.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

8.9C here. Sennybridge at 6.2C. I think it could get down to maybe 3 or 4c here in Sennybridge?

Posted

Your reading is highly questionnable for last night Adam....Nantgaredig only fell to 9.6c...I think it was fairly cloudy here last night. I would usually be on par with the lowest readings for Wales. Sensor playing up perhaps? Just seems wrong. In fact nowhere on Weatheronline got even below 10c!

Its a little chilly for a late Summer evening out there! 8.3c, so if it stays calm and clear 2c could be on with a definate ground frost!

You may be right but looking at it now its readig 7.1 wich seems to fit in with a fefw places? so I dnw either :/ it hasnt let me down in the past year its only a two year old :/ but then it did get down to -17 in the cold we had in january maybe that's happered with it?

Just checked through recent Augusts and 5c is fairly common, occurring in all but one of the previous 5 Augusts, with a ground frost as early as August 8th 2007 at min 3.5c, so thats the one to beat!

The coldest I found locally to me (Glasgow Aiport) were two nights in a row of 2C on 22nd August and 23rd August 1999. Three nights later the min temp was 15C :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Sennybridge is down to 4C now! Is that definitely accurate? Dublin Airport now 7C...

Posted

Think the greatest chance of a ground frost for us will be tomorrow night rather than tonight. Will be interesting to see how low temps get tonight and more particularly tomorrow. Suspect favoured spots such as Shap Fell will see a ground frost but doubt an air frost will be recorded in England or Wales but very good odd of widespread air frost tomorrow night in highland valleys.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Sennybridge is down to 4C now! Is that definitely accurate? Dublin Airport now 7C...

Yes it is at 4C, Tulloch Bridge is down to 6C too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yes it is at 4C, Tulloch Bridge is down to 6C too.

How low do you think it will get tonight, may 2 or 3C!?

Posted

Tuloch Bridge will likely fall below 0C, as for Wales, its definitely a frost hollow, but the sorrouding towns are closer to 10C.

Posted

Currently 6.4c, 2.5c on the grass!

Posted

Down to 6.7C here now, I don't expect it to get quite low enough for a ground frost here but looks like getting below 5C at this rate, and I had 5.9C the night before last.

Not sure what the temp is on the grass, it's these times when I start to wonder about whether to get a grass min thermometer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A chilly night here already, 9.5c and still dropping, a wonderfully comfortable night ahead :lol:

Posted

Sennybridge is by far not a frost hollow, Nothing hollowing about the place, its up on the brecon beacons not that far from here. The towns you speak of (stations, as neither are towns their costal areas) Mumbles, Pembrey sands etc are all on the coast and therfore influenced very much, Evidence of this Trawsgoed on the other hand wich is more inland and more so a frost hollow compared to Sennybridge(Pontsenni) is also recording cold tempreatures. Its 4.6 here where I live.

Edited by adamjones416

Posted

Glasgow and Dublin also down to 6C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lowest are now 4c in Wales and Ireland. Can't see it getting below 0c though.

Posted

Trawsgoed down to 3.6C at 1am from 5.1C at midnight.

That is on a parallel with here it is currently 3.7 here down from 4.2.

Posted

Well there we go!! temp here is 3.6C after dipping a min of 3.4C earlier and there is a definite ground frost on the flat roof of the garage for the house opposite! There's one thing I didn't think I'd see here in August!

Edit: Temp now down to 3.1C, coldest night since the 28th May.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

Well we have a thick white frost on the grass here which i've never ever seen in august. Currently 1.2 degrees :lol: possibly one of the coldest august nights on record here? it tonight will be colder again then records will be broken around here. Looking at the metofice Trawsgoed at 2.5 is the coldest anywhere in the Uk. Then we have sennybridge at 3.2 and Pembrey sands(right by the sea) at 3.6 or 3.7 i cant remeber. That is very low for Pembrey sands at this time of year especially.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Well we have a thick white frost on the grass here which i've never ever seen in august. Currently 1.2 degrees :lol: possibly one of the coldest august nights on record here? it tonight will be colder again then records will be broken around here. Looking at the metofice Trawsgoed at 2.5 is the coldest anywhere in the Uk. Then we have sennybridge at 3.2 and Pembrey sands(right by the sea) at 3.6 or 3.7 i cant remeber. That is very low for Pembrey sands at this time of year especially.

No somewhere in wales got 1.8c , i think it was that sennybridge place, and me i got 6c after cloud and wind staayed all night, it better be cold tonight!

Posted

Min 2.2c

Grass min 0.0c

There was some cloud when i looked out 3am thats prevented even lower.