Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

I wouldn't say it's over just yet. Things are starting to get pretty weird here. This piccie I took shows what appears to be a gust front and the weird bit is it's heading SE where the general trend is NEasterly :yahoo:

post-12190-032560700 1283859167_thumb.jp

Nice pic dude and i have to agree things are looking pretty weird up there i got a few big showers nearby but no thunder from them, yet :nonono:

Edit: Just heard some thunder! and a rain that came out of nowear!

rain.png

Edited by Daveweiser

Posted

where abouts in beds are you? i can see some nice cloud formations towards luton, looks like i might miss out!

oops didn't seem to quote that lol

Edited by liambailey09

Posted

where abouts in beds are you? i can see some nice cloud formations towards luton, looks like i might miss out!

oops didn't seem to quote that lol

I am in kempston and that blob you see almost over me on that radar grab apeared from nothing! it wasnt there atall then all of a sudden it was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A fair rash of thundery showers developing through wales and the west country heading up towards the west midlands, looking quite nice on radar, and for once the highest CAPE and lift values are upwind of me, so hopefully storms will develop and drift downwind towards me....Today might be the day!

Posted

Have a few showers knocking around here in Ivinghoe (Beds) just heard a few rumbles of thunder from the shower which looks to be over Luton, aircraft are avoiding the normal direct flight path into London Luton at the moment.

Keeping my eye on the approaching showers from the SW had reports of some thunder in East Oxfordshire within the last few seconds.

Edited by buckslad28

Posted

Hats off to the Telford storm shield,, line of torrential downpours heading at us and now a big light sky dry gap has formed heading our direction, deary me.

Posted

All the action seems to be much further east than predicted by the met-office. Hardly any showers in the south west,

yet we were predicted to under continous showers from 8am onwardsdry.gif:whistling:

Yes Steve a very large clear gap covering much of Wiltshire and Somerset as well as the Bath/Bristol regions.

I could see it when driving an hour or so ago with a very large area of blue sky sandwiched by distant TCu to the W/NW

and showery CB sky / spreading anvil cloud to the E/SE.

The radar backs that observation up but there are now large congesting TCu developing to the S of Warminster so, given

the warm sun and energy available, things could develop quickly.

I am in kempston and that blob you see almost over me on that radar grab apeared from nothing! it wasnt there atall then all of a sudden it was!

Shows how localised as a few miles down the road in Bedford when I drove through the pavments were dry although the thunder had been heard in the office.

Chris

Edited by Chris Mantle

Posted

Have a few showers knocking around here in Ivinghoe (Beds) just heard a few rumbles of thunder from the shower which looks to be over Luton, aircraft are avoiding the normal direct flight path into London Luton at the moment.

Keeping my eye on the approaching showers from the SW had reports of some thunder in East Oxfordshire within the last few seconds.

cool dude your not to far from me, looks like we are pretty much inline for that heavy rain so lets hope it gets thundery!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Another crap storm day in the south east (kent) :whistling: of 2010

Afraid we along with Sussex and Surrey appear to have played the role of breeding ground today :wallbash:

Though did hear one rumble in London late morning which is always welcome! :D

Posted

when this next band of rain gets closer im going to head to the playing feilds so i can watch this roll overhead! i will take the camera of course : P

Edited by Daveweiser

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Strange my post disappeared?

I just said we had the first torrential downpour today reached 86mm/hr!

Posted

Mark I'm from Blackpool too :whistling: I heard a rumble at 14.02, 14.11 and 14.17 :wallbash:

It's now moving NE.

Edited by extreme

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yeehaw......loud crack of thunder!.....first decent crack of the year!

...and again....this is more like it! :whistling:

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
post-2595-092371100 1283865542_thumb.jpg

Posted

Temperature dropped 4 degrees Celsius since that happened. Looks like round 2 is on the way for us in the next 5-10 minutes according to the raintoday radar. Bring it on!

Posted

quick radar grab showing the showers/storms....everything seems to be moving due north, so more to come

post-4149-072687800 1283865671.txt

Posted

9 downloads in 5 minutes not bad downpour that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Bizarrely the cluster heading towards Norwich appeared to fizzle out, so it's still blue skies here. There was one "spitting" shower at noon from a cumulus congestus earlier.

Posted

The bit just west of Liverpool looks destined for Blackpool. Off out in the car in a minute! Swear I just heard another rumble too. Skies are darkening again.

edit: Nice flash of lightening then and crack of thunder :D

EDIT: FORK LIGHTENING WOWZA

Edited by extreme

Posted

well, round one just about drawing to a close, a dozen cracks of thunder and torrential rain....lovely!........round's 2 & 3 aren't too far away by the looks of things 1) quite a potent cell in the wednesfield/wolverhampton area drifting northwards towards me, and 2) a quite lively looking line of cells in the worcester/droitwich area also drifting north...an exciting afternoon beckons :D

post-4149-037887000 1283866979_thumb.png