Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Nature's Signs Of Winter

ZONE 51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Squirrels running wild collecting nuts and saving them, stocking up their food supply, trees loaded with conkers, acorns and fruits, a warm november, massed holy berries, beswick swans leaving the wetlands early, or a new moon at the end of december,

a cold winter follows as goes the folklore.

So have you seen any signs from nature, theirs many more do you know any?

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Squirrels running wild collecting nuts and saving them, stocking up their food supply, trees loaded with conkers, acorns and fruits, a warm november, massed holy berries, beswick swans leaving the wetlands early, or a new moon at the end of december,

a cold winter follows as goes the folklore.

So have you seen any signs from nature, theirs many more do you know any?

Yep - the wasps always a sure sign winter is approaching.

The numbers are exploding at the moment! Also they still seem content with flowers though give it a couple of weeks and they'll be after our food and drink.

Also, another sign is the annoying dew on the car in the morning - very rarely see this from late May to early September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

Our midges havent been half as bad a ssome years here and have nearly all gone already. I noticed even down in Derby the trees as turning.... up here we have already began to lose leaves. The birds are sitting on the cables ready to fly and the geese have made movements around the place, again usual as it usually another month before this all happens. The berries and nuts are plentiful this year as well. I noticed that the grey squirrels on the mainland are being particlualy mobile and tame as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, if the length of daylight hours is anything to go by then, yes, autumn is approaching.

As for the plants and animals, their current actions surely only reflect the conditions prevalent during the seasons that have just passed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

well the house martins have gone here has have all the wasps.

Looking forward to autumn

thecoutdown to winter begins tomrrow

:rolleyes:

Posted

Yep - the wasps always a sure sign winter is approaching.

The numbers are exploding at the moment! Also they still seem content with flowers though give it a couple

of weeks and they'll be after our food and drink.

You're lucky! They were all over 2 picnics we had over the weekend!

And my fiancé has a nest in the roof space above her school classroom, currently hoping someone can sort

it before the children go back!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

all the trees started to turn here over a week ago and lots of yellows and reds already maybe thats because autumn only last for 2 months..sept and oct.

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Blackberrys are just starting to turn black here now- looking like a bumper harvest this year!

Posted

his damn thing has been sitting at the top of our stairs now for the past 3 days!!

I may be 32 years old and male, but this doesn't stop me from running past it screaming like a girl and putting off going to be coz i have to walk past it just 1' away from my head!!! :D

spideromg001.jpg

THIS IS A SIGN BLOODY WINTER IS COMING !!! :cc_confused:

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

Blackberrys are just starting to turn black here now- looking like a bumper harvest this year!

We have been harvesting our garden blackberries for the last three weeks down here in the south east and yes it is a bumper harvest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

his damn thing has been sitting at the top of our stairs now for the past 3 days!!

I may be 32 years old and male, but this doesn't stop me from running past it screaming like a girl and putting off going to be coz i have to walk past it just 1' away from my head!!! :D

spideromg001.jpg

THIS IS A SIGN BLOODY WINTER IS COMING !!! :cc_confused:

I'll send you a rolled up newspaper, enabling you to blast this critter to its next plane of existence!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Plenty of berries, conkers and well, non summer weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Lots of conkers growing while the trees leafs are going yellow/brown with black dots, why are the leafs like this?

also chesnuts coming on now, roasted they are nice! while to go yet though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well the swifts ceased flying around late July so that was the first sign! But then they only hang around May-July anyway before heading back to Africa.

Now my tomatoes and chillies are ripening all at once so plenty of veg around for a while!

Next sign is when everything dies off and the joys outdoor gardening stuff ceases until next April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Our Hawthorn is covered in berries now. Also, our resident squirrel has been raiding the bird table for nuts etc. and burying them around the garden. Winter is coming =D

Posted

not so much winter more autumn.iv'e been netting the fallen hawthorn leaves off the fish ponds for the last 10 days.

thats my cue as to what stage we are at.

Our Hawthorn is covered in berries now. Also, our resident squirrel has been raiding the bird table for nuts etc. and burying them around the garden. Winter is coming =D

shoot the basket unless he's red.

Posted

I read somewhere that the cold winter will result in a delayed autumn in terms of early leaf colour change and appearance of nuts and berries. I'm not sure whether this is manifesting itself, however, it would appear not from the posts - everything appears to be bang on schedule happening in a traditional manner.

I have noticed yellow leaf colour on the horse chestnut near where I live, one of the first tree species to experience leaf colour change. The very dry conditions may counter the cold winter, with fewer nutrients in the ground and less water many leaves may end up turning earlier than normal and falling earlier than normal..

Posted

If a harsh cold winter was on its way (even an early start to one) and the birds and squirrels somehow know this, then they would act in a more un-relaxed manner through sept/oct? maybe squirrels rushing around burying nuts to dig up later(as they do anyway) but more stockup then normal, i think jays bury food for the winter?, if birds move away early then they must be for a reason.

Posted

Thinking that hedgehogs might choose early hibernation before an early cold winter? do foxes do anything different, what about squirrels tails, are they bushier than normal?

I must research to see if anyone has done a study on natures signs before a cold winter in britain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If a harsh cold winter was on its way (even an early start to one) and the birds and squirrels somehow know this, then they would act in a more un-relaxed manner through sept/oct? maybe squirrels rushing around burying nuts to dig up later(as they do anyway) but more stockup then normal, i think jays bury food for the winter?, if birds move away early then they must be for a reason.

But, Nim, where is the evidence that animals are clairvoyant? Why do severe winters always result in decimations among wild animal species, if said animals somehow know the future?

Are we in danger of mixing cause with effect, here?

Posted

But, Nim, where is the evidence that animals are clairvoyant? Why do severe winters always result in decimations among wild animal species, if said animals somehow know the future?

Are we in danger of mixing cause with effect, here?

Yes Pete, soon we'll have the old chestnut trotted out - "Nature's re-active, not pro-active" !!!

Posted

I think PT that animals do go by what the trees, bushes and insects are showing, to what they do for preparation for winter.

But for animals to know 3months ahead i dont know, maybe they can sense solar activity, i know animals and (insects especially) can feel the small air pressure changes but that would be the nowcast weather, trees can change conditions due to a summer drought, with affect showing as early drop and leaf colour.

Natures signs of winter is different from natures signs of a long cold/severe winter .

Posted

What about all that stuff about animals moving away from the coasts before the tsunami '04 hit?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6795562/

I believe all things are connected and that science only can see as far as the end of it's nose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

I read somewhere that the cold winter will result in a delayed autumn in terms of early leaf colour change and appearance of nuts and berries. I'm not sure whether this is manifesting itself, however, it would appear not from the posts - everything appears to be bang on schedule happening in a traditional manner.

I have noticed yellow leaf colour on the horse chestnut near where I live, one of the first tree species to experience leaf colour change. The very dry conditions may counter the cold winter, with fewer nutrients in the ground and less water many leaves may end up turning earlier than normal and falling earlier than normal..

Horse Chestnuts is a disease - forget the name - spreading across this species. Leaves are turning earlier every year but are actually being attacked.