Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's Your Ideal Winters Day?

Backtrack

Posted

A surprise snowfall, so something along the lines of-

Sunday night- Model output discussion very quiet due to the prospects of the cold clearing by an approaching low-pressure, brining in very mild south-westerlies.

Monday Morning- Wake-up to heavy rain, GFS looks gloomy, temperature at a steady 12.c, BBC forecast the low to move through quickly to make-way for cloudy mild conditions. Any previous snow patches gone. 

Monday afternoon- Still raining, even though precipitation was forecast to leave hours ago. New meto warnings for heavy rain with 100mm expected in some places

Monday evening- When walking home (usually from 30m ASL to 210m ASL) it feels significantly colder, I begin to see my breath the higher up the hill I go. A flake of wet snow drifts past me and within seconds the heavy rain turns to heavy wet snow. I look in amazement to see the snow settling instantly, still walking higher-up the hill there is an evident line of thick lying snow (100m ASL) and almost instantly I'm caught in a blizzard. Visibility very low, road is closed but I have to carry on home. I finally get home and arrive at 10cm of snow. 

Monday night- The snow continues throughout the night, Meto warnings replaced for snow instead of rain. Over 50cm of snow expected with severe drifting. 

Tuesday morning- Chaos as 60cm of snow-falls.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Sunday night- Model output discussion very quiet due to the prospects of the cold clearing by an approaching low-pressure, brining in very mild south-westerlies.

Monday Morning- Wake-up to heavy rain, GFS looks gloomy, temperature at a steady 12.c, BBC forecast the low to move through quickly to make-way for cloudy mild conditions. Any previous snow patches gone. 

Monday afternoon- Still raining, even though precipitation was forecast to leave hours ago. New meto warnings for heavy rain with 100mm expected in some places

Monday evening- When walking home (usually from 30m ASL to 210m ASL) it feels significantly colder, I begin to see my breath the higher up the hill I go. A flake of wet snow drifts past me and within seconds the heavy rain turns to heavy wet snow. I look in amazement to see the snow settling instantly, still walking higher-up the hill there is an evident line of thick lying snow (100m ASL) and almost instantly I'm caught in a blizzard. Visibility very low, road is closed but I have to carry on home. I finally get home and arrive at 10cm of snow. 

Monday night- The snow continues throughout the night, Meto warnings replaced for snow instead of rain. Over 50cm of snow expected with severe drifting. 

Sounds right up my street :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

sounds a lot like February 15th 1978

Posted

If only this were to happen, sounds fantastic. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

My Ideal Winters Day....

Sunday the Night Before - Dry and clear to about 10pm when Light/Moderate Snowfalls started to occur but only a covering of 2-5cm was expected and was forecast to clear by the early hours.

Temperature is -7C.

Monday Morning - Wake up early at 5am to see how much snow had fallen and open the curtains and..... its a winter wonderland with a blizzard with big huge chunky flakes are coming down and the sky is all pink and lit up. Then log onto netweather and check the metoffice site and there are warnings out for the whole of the country with widespread falls of 20-30cm is forecast, but in my area falls 40-60cm are forecast. I then rush downstairs open the back door and step out with my ruler and it is meausuring 25cm. I come back in and have my breakfast and a drink watching out side with the snow continuing to stream down thick and fast. I put the radio on at 7am to find out my school is shut and I jump for joy :yahoo: . The snow continues throughout the morning....

Temperature remains steady at -3C

Monday Afternoon - By now 40cm of snow has accumalated and its still streaming down fast but the flakes have become smaller. By around 3pm the snow stops the skies remain grey and there is 45cm of snow lieng on the ground and I have snowball fights and build snowmen and then come in and have my tea.

Temperature remains steady at -2C

Monday Evening - The snow begains to start again at 5:30pm and the sky lits up pink again and the big huge chunky flakes start to fall again. By the end of the evening 65cm of snow lied on the ground. I come in switch on my computer and come on netweather and find the forum full of happiness and glee :yahoo: Throughout the evening it continues to snow heavily with big huge chunky flakes non stop.

Temperature falls from -2C to -12C

The prospect of the snow and cold continuing are great and ends up lasting for 2months straight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I've already posted my preference, but it wasn't in great detail. Here's EXACTLY how I'd like it:

It's the 27th December, and a thin layer of snow is lying from very light falls of snow over Christmas, thanks to a light NNW wind, but most of the snow stayed out at sea. However, even first thing in the morning the breeze is freshening up, and by about 10:00 some big snow showers are showing on the radar out at sea as a deep cold pool moves in from the continent, with uppers below -15°C. I have to go out so I'm not able to check the radar, but by lunch time the showers have pushed inland, and a good 5cm is lying already. By this stage the temperature has only risen from -5°C to -2°C despite the near gale force NE wind coming in off the sea, and it is expected to remain steady between -3°C and -2°C for the next 3 days.

I get back at about 14:00, by which time there is 10cm level snow, but drifts are already starting to form against the side of the house. I look at the radar, and there are plenty more heavy showers around the region, but a massive area of persistent snow has developed out at sea, courtesy of a trough. This moves in at 15:30, after an hour of sunshine and blowing powder snow. A blizzard commences, which lasts 6 hours, bringing the total depth up to 25cm. It then remains dry until midnight with a howling NE wind, but already some fierce-looking snow showers are taking shape on the radar for the early hours of the next day. One last forecast for the day reveals that the next 2 days would see heavy snow showers coming in from the north east, with 20-30cm additional snowfall expected, then after that it looks as though high pressure will probably take control, keeping it bitterly cold, but settled, over New Year.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Hi all , i cant beleive us lot lol , as i was reading the posts i had a massive geeky smile on my face cause certain posts describe what i day dream about !! Although im not gonna say my perfect senario , last jan 5th it was a tuesday, comes up there ,

I went to work that morning with patchy snow forecast from a decaying front coming from the northwest , then i got a phone call off my brother who lives in brum , about 40 miles to my northwest(stratford) to tell me it was a blizzard and he had nearly 3incs of snow by about 11 which had fallen in an hour an a half , i watched in anxiety hoping it wouldnt loose intensity and it did but not much , it through it down for 2 hours giving 2 hours of heavy snow , i left work at lunch , watched the weather to find out we was gonna get another 10-15cm that night, i was ecxtatic lol!! I stopped at my m8s that night and had a bottle of brandy and i watched the snow and went for a walk in the woods with my m8s and had a right laugh , the next morning there was about 5inches and it snowed again from a thin stradler following the main front to the south , it gave another half inch but it was the supprise that made it so nice !

I truely cant wait for this winter and to top it off im moving into a pad with my mate this wkend 500ft above sea level in the cotswolds , he hasnt got a clue what his let himself in for and i made sure we moved on high ground ! It makes a difference from the 60meters or so above sea level at the min !

Also a qick note on this winter , i would say theres just as much chance of another severe winter this year cause of different factors, the misplaced and smaller golf stream has to have affect , and the fact everythin comes in patterns , cold winters come in clumps , as do mild ones , such as the last 20yrs or so , its nothing more that natural cycles in the ever changing climate , and i can see the next 5-10 yrs the winters gettting more severe , if high blocking dominates like it normaly does and did so before the 90's then our winters wil become more european influenced , i.e , northelies and easterlies playin massive features in our weather .

Hears to a good winter folks xx

Posted

I've already posted my preference, but it wasn't in great detail. Here's EXACTLY how I'd like it:

It's the 27th December, and a thin layer of snow is lying from very light falls of snow over Christmas, thanks to a light NNW wind, but most of the snow stayed out at sea. However, even first thing in the morning the breeze is freshening up, and by about 10:00 some big snow showers are showing on the radar out at sea as a deep cold pool moves in from the continent, with uppers below -15°C. I have to go out so I'm not able to check the radar, but by lunch time the showers have pushed inland, and a good 5cm is lying already. By this stage the temperature has only risen from -5°C to -2°C despite the near gale force NE wind coming in off the sea, and it is expected to remain steady between -3°C and -2°C for the next 3 days.

I get back at about 14:00, by which time there is 10cm level snow, but drifts are already starting to form against the side of the house. I look at the radar, and there are plenty more heavy showers around the region, but a massive area of persistent snow has developed out at sea, courtesy of a trough. This moves in at 15:30, after an hour of sunshine and blowing powder snow. A blizzard commences, which lasts 6 hours, bringing the total depth up to 25cm. It then remains dry until midnight with a howling NE wind, but already some fierce-looking snow showers are taking shape on the radar for the early hours of the next day. One last forecast for the day reveals that the next 2 days would see heavy snow showers coming in from the north east, with 20-30cm additional snowfall expected, then after that it looks as though high pressure will probably take control, keeping it bitterly cold, but settled, over New Year.

Just reading that is mouthwatering, who knows that may happen this year.

I personally would like too see a cold front coming down from the North which brings moderate rain with perhaps a bit of wet snow on the back edge. Then we see the brighter skies with the showers soon following on behind, the first few showers start as rain but start turning more and more into snow showers. We then have frequent snow showers for the next 2 days coming from a Northerly direction with the odd trough mixed in for good measure, winds veer more NE'ly and then Easterly and the air gets colder and colder as the winds veer more to the east with yet more heavy snow showers and troughs mixed in. And the snow amounts by the end of the cold spell is around 50CM. Then high pressure comes in give us cold at least one sunny day and very cold night before the Atlantic starts coming in giving us frontal snow but it struggles to get any further East than my location giving us even more snow before it fizzles out and the milder air slowly takes over.

Its not asking for much to be honest!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Has to be coming home from a snooker match on a very cold and clear frosty night and seeing some ominous clouds in the distance glowing in Belfasts city light. As I step to the door of my house a little snow drop falls right infront of my face. I go inside, make myself a cuppa and open my blinds to lampost watch. As an hour passes the snow gradually starts to fall heavier and begins to lay on the grass and pavements. 2 hours on approaching midnight the snow is moderate and has gave a 1cm dusting to all surfaces making the night seem that little brighter. I go make something to eat and watch a movie, head back to the window and see heavy snow pelting past the streetlamp. I look down to the ground to see a few CM's of snow has covered everything in a brilliant white. In an intrigued state I go to look at radar and weather forecasts to see that we are forecast heavy persistant snow for the next 24 hours. I wake in the morning to find several inches of snow on the ground with a heavy passing snow shower, then as the sun peeks out behind the clouds a brilliant bright white fills the room and small snowflakes gradually ease away. As I go to get dressed and grab a little breakfast I notice a mass of grey, snow filled clouds heading my direction as a large persistent heavy snow shower drifts in.....the little snowflakes start again only to be overriden by a mass of large white heavy snowfall gradually making its way towards me from 1/4 mile away. The snow persists in heavy bursts all day and as night falls, blizzard like conditions set in as a bitter Northerly wind becomes strong. With 12 inches of snow on the ground, freezing cold temperatures and huge snowflakes drifting and blowing past what little light can be seen from the streetlamps, I put on my snowcoat, take a sip of some warm cocoa and head out into the night for a walk. When morning comes once more, I grab the nearest thing that can be considered a sledge and head over to the nearest hill for some serious snow and sledging fun with my snow starved daughter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Simply this....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

What's nicer?

Waking up to find 4 inches of unpredicted snow

OR

Seeing snow start in early morning to deposit 4 inches of snow that was predicted?

:) :) :D

Posted

Simply this....

Been there done that :D

Posted

I'm fortunate to have witnessed plenty of ideal Winters days from the mid 80's and February 1991, but much more recent it has to be without doubt February 2nd 2009 and January 6th 2010!

:pardon:

Edited by Don

Posted

The period between 2-6th February was pretty spectacular for snow in my area, it was a shame that a mild sector had passed through after the first snowfall. The 5th was a great snow event for me, on the right side of a marginal, only 20 miles south it was a washout. Cold uppers returned south on the 6th, and about another 4 inches fell. Roughly, around 12-14 inches fell between 2nd-5th Feb 09. It would be so pleasing to see something similar to occur this winter, albeit colder air to freeze and keep a decent covering of snow!

Posted

If I'm going for the 'ideal' though not quite in the realms of reality for where I live in the UK then it would have to be waking up, heading downstairs for a coffee, drawing back the curtains and being faced with a window full of settled snow and having to dig a hole to get out of the door. (those photos in the gallery of the Lion Inn are amazing)!!!

Anyhow, before I get sent on a snowholics anonymous rehab trip to Alice Springs, I suppose I had best join the real world. An amazing day would be something akin to the forecast of 91 above. Too many times in recent history the snow that has come my way has been in the form of sporadic showers with only few being heavy for an hour or so at a time.

Another way to get my snow fix would be a forecast the night before of rain from the west pushing a cold high pressure out of the way to the east actually turning out to be a stalled front for hours on end before the high wins out and packs the atlantic off with it's tail between it's legs. That would do very nicely. :good:

Here's hoping!

Posted

This is my perfect day,infact it`s the ultimate winters day with 10inches of snow,glorious sunshine east gale and blizzards sweeping the land/drifting. :clap:

Rrea00119850210.gif

Rrea00219850210.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I don't know if I've already done this... but it seems I may have a new one!

0000 - Scattered Clouds (-1C)

0300 - Clear (-4C)

0600 - Clear (-7C)

0900 - Scattered Clouds (-6C)

1200 - Scattered Clouds (-4C)

1500 - Mostly Cloudy (-5C)

1800 - Light Snow (-5C)

2100 - Snow Showers (-6C)

0000 - Heavy Snow Showers (-6C)

Strong northeasterly throughout. Dew point below -5C at all times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

My ideal day would be to wake up with a slight icy cold breeze blowing through my window which wakes me up earlier than i'd normally get up to.

Half asleep I would put my arms behind me, grab both curtains and open them. Suddenly room fills up with a bright, vivid white glow. Half asleep I crawl deeper into bed only to be woken by some familiar crunching noises outside.

I've not looked outside yet. This crunching noise somehow triggers a child-like response in me and I leap from my bed and look out of the window. It's been snowing overnight and looks pretty deep.

As i'm not working, I go back to bed but get little sleep. People outside scraping snow off their cars which is followed by them wheelspinning up the street keep me from relaxing in my nice warm bed. I get up, put the radio on and become all smug knowing that i'm not working for 2 days and don't have to go anywhere.

I make a coffee, have breakfast and later go out for a stroll to the shops. The snow is around 7 inches deep. I return home and make some soup for lunch and it starts snowing again. This lasts for a hour and covers up the footprint before crisp winter sunshine brings the day to a close.

That's my ideal winter's day and to some extent happened many times last winter and also during my childhood in the 80's.

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

This is my perfect day,infact it`s the ultimate winters day with 10inches of snow,glorious sunshine east gale and blizzards sweeping the land/drifting. :clap:

Rrea00119850210.gif

Rrea00219850210.gif

not sure about ultimate winters day and blizzards sweeping the land?..i dont even remember 10th Feb 1985?

Posted

not sure about ultimate winters day and blizzards sweeping the land?..i dont even remember 10th Feb 1985?

February 8th and 9th gave heavy snow and blizzards in the west,the east missed on this very special occasion.

Started off as freezing sleet/hail it lasted 2 weeks temps never got above freezing and roads were blocked with continuous drifting as the east winds never let up,besides when the high came further south,remember it as my most best went to a funeral on the 8th when it first started,were lucky to get back.

Powdery snow at it`s best nothing would go through the drifts not even a county tractor,

biggest drifts ever :drunk::cold::bomb::clap::air_kiss: :wub:

Posted

I love it at the end of November ish when we have a hard frost and it lingers all day and you can walk home at half 3 and hear the crunch of the frozen leaves and the cold air hitting your face then you go home and there is a thick frost on the windows and everywhere by around half past six and you have to scrape the car just to go out in the evening. It's great :)

Posted

Nine feet of level snow with a maximum temperature of -1C...I'm off to Telford!

The only consolation from the great 09/10 letdown was that for once Telford sucked as much as Shrewsbury!

Anyway, ideal for me would be 30cm falling overnight in December, clearing at 7am so that the temp can drop to -10 before sunrise, then a crisp sunny day with a max of -3 before more snow piles in overnight. Now better get learning Finnish........

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

My perfect winters day,a foot of snow on the ground temps below zero and a crystal clear blue sky although i would not say no to a raging blizzard in storm force winds that would be fun.