Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Build Up To Winter? Do You Guys Also Do This?

Cymro

Posted

Personally I want to see a weather forecast from 12th December 1981. Is there some of archive available anywhere?

You can go to your local national library and request a copy if it's archived some where. Will take a few days then they will let you know and you can go into a viewing room Bot sure whether any exist online however.

Posted

I bought 100kg of rocksalt a few weeks ago and tonight we are having stew for tea.....first stew of the season, yum yum. :)

Edited by noggin

Posted

im loving this 16.c temps and i think it wont rise much higher again as we are now heading for winter...the shops are putting xmas stuff out argh

is there anywhere i can view the threads from last winters chaos

Posted

I find it a nuisance that the shops stock christmas stuff so early aswel. Cawl we have here in Wales its a stew with leeks lamb and all vegetables and parsley normaly with a bread roll and cheese then for pudding we always have Picau ar y Maen (welsh cakes) they are lovely in a hot mug of tea :). Always a cawl every other week cooked the sunday night lasts till wednesday and it is always nicest on the last day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I must admit that I'm not a fan of the build-up to winter as I see the declining length of daylight and the "phasing out" of homegrown convection in those polar maritime airmasses (due to declining solar energy) as strongly negative things. Autumn is often the least varied time of year for weather in eastern England- it may be a different story in the west where you're fully exposed to the Atlantic.

I don't usually get into the winter spirit until either mid-December or the first accumulation of snow of the season, whichever comes earlier. However, once we reach that stage I usually feel better about the situation.

Ideally I would prefer winter to merely be a much colder version of spring!

Christmas does get earlier and earlier each year in the shops. I would prefer it if Christmas stuff started coming out no earlier than the middle part of November (striking a balance between being too early and giving people ample time to do their Christmas shopping).

Posted

Personally I want to see a weather forecast from 12th December 1981. Is there some of archive available anywhere?

Yes I have scoured the internet for archive weather forecast footage from winter 81/82 but to no avail have I found any. I bet there would have been some classics from dec 81 and jan 82 equivalent to the feb 91 forecast. Also no forecasts from Jan 87 have been found or my favourite from a personal view late dec 95 and 5/6 feb 96 (though there is archive footage of ITV news footage from both events and also of the Jan 87 event).

There are some good bbc forecasts of severe wintry spells on youtube from late Jan 79, mid Feb 85 and late Feb 86 and early jan 97.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yes I have scoured the internet for archive weather forecast footage from winter 81/82 but to no avail have I found any. I bet there would have been some classics from dec 81 and jan 82 equivalent to the feb 91 forecast. Also no forecasts from Jan 87 have been found or my favourite from a personal view late dec 95 and 5/6 feb 96 (though there is archive footage of ITV news footage from both events and also of the Jan 87 event).

There are some good bbc forecasts of severe wintry spells on youtube from late Jan 79, mid Feb 85 and late Feb 86 and early jan 97.

Links ? :whistling:

Posted

I did know of Welsh footage of 81/82 on the itv website "y dydd" talking of rugby supporters getting stranded somewhere in Pontypridd but it appears to have been taken down now which is a shame was a great clip and in colour.

(Snow in Baile Atha Cliath or Dublin)

(Berkely)

Posted

Mmmmmm, Winter.....

My thoughts turn to winter as soon as I see little green berries on our hawthorn, blackberry, apple, pear, plum trees etc etc. Usually about June !!! Holly berries just changing this week :):drinks:

July is a month of chopping and sawing wood. August sees me furtively checking nightime temps for that exciting "single figure" and the great BBC weather phrase - "There's a good chance of a frost in the isolated Glens !!"

September has me in a frenzy as soon as the NW forum thread changes to Autumn. More chopping firewood/kindling ( 6 fireplaces !!), order another 2000lts of oil, fire up the AGA, 100kg of coal delivered. Excitement at the Vernal Equinox and the drawing in of the evenings. Rapid increase in thread count on NW !! I can't believe how much I'm annoyed by warm days in September :whistling:

October sees the first frosts - I really look forward to that. The TONA chutney, jam and sloe gin production line in full swing - shame to waste nature's bounty (awesome apple crop this year BTW). Order 100+ bales of hay for the mules. No more salad and white wine, it's brown food and shiraz all the way now :drinks: Stews, casseroles, shepherds' pies etc etc

November sees Bonfire night, which I seem to enjoy as much as the children. I now find my thoughts turning from frosts to snow flurries and distant "Beasts" in deep FI. Bring it on............

What a lovely post :drinks::)

Posted

Links ? :hi:

I don't have the links, however they are easy to find just go on youtube and do a search on bbc weather and then the relevant year, likewise do the same for itv.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Maybe email the BBC, they should give you some good links to forecast footage, when i searched -Severe Winter of 47- it gave a good pdf file of info, i tend to type as above on search then add the date.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I like to wet the appetite with a bit of snow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhalqM6BcEA

America gets the best falls.... :p:angry:

Posted

Heres 2 from the IOW from last January on the 6th :hi:

NICE :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

This is quite a nice forecast back in january also! Sadly i was stuck in austria throughout this event because bristol airport was closed! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4X1d_d-k-w

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

1962-63 was a famous winter and the second worst on record. Mid November saw snow in the South West but the start of the bitter cold came on Boxing Day, when a belt of snow became almost stationary over Exmoor. The following day, snow lay at least 12 inches deep over the area. The main snow, however, did not arrive until 29th January. Somerset was the only county in England to be totally covered in snow. 160 of its villages were cut off. 20ft snow drifts were common and up to 30ft was found in places. Whole buildings were covered and it was common in conifer plantations for just the tops of trees to be left sticking out of the snow. The conditions were probably worse than in 1947 but there was more machinery to deal with them. So much salt was used that it had to be imported from Spain

Wow Now that is what id like to see some time in the west country! :o

Posted

The Lion Inn had been snowed in for 6 days and all roads to Blakey Ridge blocked with snow drifts. This video was filmed on a walk up the valley side from Rosedale, a climb that took 1 1/2 hours due to the waist high drifts and gale force winds

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted

1962-63 was a famous winter and the second worst on record. Mid November saw snow in the South West but the start of the bitter cold came on Boxing Day, when a belt of snow became almost stationary over Exmoor. The following day, snow lay at least 12 inches deep over the area. The main snow, however, did not arrive until 29th January. Somerset was the only county in England to be totally covered in snow. 160 of its villages were cut off. 20ft snow drifts were common and up to 30ft was found in places. Whole buildings were covered and it was common in conifer plantations for just the tops of trees to be left sticking out of the snow. The conditions were probably worse than in 1947 but there was more machinery to deal with them. So much salt was used that it had to be imported from Spain

Wow Now that is what id like to see some time in the west country! :)

1947 had far more frequent and heavy falls of snow than 62/63. The thing about 62/63 was the depth and length of the cold, snow that fell lasted for weeks and weeks on end. Birmingham for instance counted over 100 mornings where snow lay on the ground. I was only a few months old, so I can't remember it, but my mother always says she does not remember it snowing often, but having fallen it never went away.

Edited by weather eater