Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Build Up To Winter? Do You Guys Also Do This?

Cymro

Posted

For me Winter and Christmas are one in the build up to christmas. Then Winter is a bonus in the months that follow.

You know its Christmas when you see the Coca Cola advert coming on (other soft drinks are available).

But it's truly christmas and would be magical if it was like it is on the Guinness advert (other alcoholic drinks are available but are they as good?). Right on the stroke of midnight on Christmas morning and the first snow flakes fall on the quiet streets of Dublin.

I'm preparing now! Getting my stock of coal, logs, slack, kindling, newspapers, and a varied range of alcohol. And thanks to my wife i'm now one of those annoying people who can say that most of the christmas presents are already bought! Keeping a good eye on the street light outside. Bit early I know but if the bugger even so much as flickers, I'm on the local council!

Posted

Stunning pics of Scotland further back.

Nice to be back on NW and I'm looking forward to a good winter. I'm no longer living in the west!

where be best now :shok:

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

For me Winter and Christmas are one in the build up to christmas. Then Winter is a bonus in the months that follow.

You know its Christmas when you see the Coca Cola advert coming on (other soft drinks are available).

But it's truly christmas and would be magical if it was like it is on the Guinness advert (other alcoholic drinks are available but are they as good?). Right on the stroke of midnight on Christmas morning and the first snow flakes fall on the quiet streets of Dublin.

I'm preparing now! Getting my stock of coal, logs, slack, kindling, newspapers, and a varied range of alcohol. And thanks to my wife i'm now one of those annoying people who can say that most of the christmas presents are already bought! Keeping a good eye on the street light outside. Bit early I know but if the bugger even so much as flickers, I'm on the local council!

I certainly agree with your post,i love xmas and winter. Every year i hope againest hope that i will have a white xmas,but if xmas is at least cold with a chance of snow im happy. I think the build up to xmas is probably more excitinging then xmas itself especialy if there is a chance of snow for around that time. Like many i had a white new yr last winter. I was in a pub on new years eve and it started snowing heavy around 11 pm and so we rang in the new yr with a white one,classic,and that snow cover would last another ten days being topped up every now and again.

Edited by sundog

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Boston Snowstorm - 10 Hour Time Lapse, February 2006

Great video - fighting a losing battle the ploughs....

A couple of other pics from winter 09-10 here to go with the picnic bench.

post-9421-028095000 1289681576_thumb.jpg

post-9421-029897400 1289681600_thumb.jpg

Posted

some amazing photos on here and videos.

this is one of my favioute snow videos

Great video, could you imagine the ploughs in the uk? they'de have give up first go!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Great video, could you imagine the ploughs in the uk? they'de have give up first go!!

(spoiler warning) He, hee... really loved how the snow increased it's power further and further towards the end. I loooooove happy endings! :)

As for the Winter build up, my excitement usually begins to happen around mid-late October when I start seeing the first signs of cold/very cold weather appearing on various forecasts. The further on into the period the excitement increases dramatically and, admittedly, November is the period when I am constanstly thinking of snow - imaging when the first proper cold wintry blast will occur. Just imaging snowflakes falling from the sky and reaching the ground further raises my hopes and excitment towards this weather.

Then, near or around Decmber time, I develop snowytitus - where my head is almost literally filled with snowy thoughts! :D

Guest harshwinter09

Tom an t-Sabhail (Tomintoul) last winter, Scottish Highlands last winter :)

4308541253_b60b3233e4_b.jpg

Could the upcoming cold spell produce such scenes again this year?

anyone?

Posted

some amazing photos on here and videos.

this is one of my favioute snow videos

Ah Boston, what a cracking city! Was there this summer. Bit different to the memories I have of it...

46272_429328836836_591331836_5502293_5119389_n.jpg

This being at 5pm in late August...