Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Monthly Star Charts

Posted

I thought these could prove useful to a few of you. I've printed off a monthly star chart for the 1st of each month at 10pm, for the next twelve months. They also work at other times and dates, for example, the chart for 10pm on December 1st would also work for one hour earlier a fortnight later, or one hour later, a fortnight earlier (9pm on Jan 1st or 11pm on Nov 1st), or two hour earlier a month later, or two hours later, a month earlier....etc etc.

All times are in GMT.

I hope this makes sense?!

Monthly star charts.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I thought these could prove useful to a few of you. I've printed off a monthly star chart for the 1st of each month at 10pm, for the next twelve months. They also work at other times and dates, for example, the chart for 10pm on December 1st would also work for one hour earlier a fortnight later, or one hour later, a fortnight earlier (9pm on Jan 1st or 11pm on Nov 1st), or two hour earlier a month later, or two hours later, a month earlier....etc etc.

All times are in GMT.

I hope this makes sense?!

Monthly star charts.pdf

That's very kind of you OON, I can also be a real stargazer as well now.

Cheers

STORMBOY

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Thanks OON. It's very kind of you to give us the heads up on the current heavenly bodies.

A few years ago I picked up an old book (1944) "A Guide to the Sky" E. Agar Beet with a one of those rotating disc templates in the back cover which has proved really useful at finding the constellations all year round.

Posted

Ahhhh - a planisphere is a wondrous thing. You can now get devices which you point at the sky, and they not only identify what you're pointing at, but display it on a small screen, and give you an audio commentary. That's cheating though....I think.

Uranus is in the east.

Posted

Philip's are the best known providers of a range of planispheres (other brands are available) for various latitudes, but obviously none of these cover the planets, Moon or comets.

Edited by crepuscular ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ahhhh - a planisphere is a wondrous thing. You can now get devices which you point at the sky, and they not only identify what you're pointing at, but display it on a small screen, and give you an audio commentary. That's cheating though....I think.

Uranus is in the east.

Yes I own a Meade mySky, a truly ingenious device. http://www.meade.com/mysky/index.html

Celestron make the SkyScout which is also something else. http://celestronskyscout.com/

Many mobile phones now have similar apps. available.