MAF

Is your heating on yet?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Heating on?

• yes
    • no
    • too early
    • live in an igloo
    • whats global warming got to do with it??
    • only when "he's" not home

Posted

Set heating to come on for a few hours in the morning and evening if living room temp drops below 19 C, otherwise the rest of the family moan about skinflint Yorkshire dad :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Ours is set on thermostat rather than timer otherwise it comes on when I don't want it and doesn't when I do. Our thermostat is set at 14 and it has kicked in a few times now thankfully as it dries the washing.

Posted

I put the heating on when we're cool in our house. And vice versa. It's usually on more in the winter, but we could have it on for a while on any day of the year, July or January!

Same here, I think there were a few times in August this year where I switched it on for an hour or two to take the general chillyness out of our house. Its been on all night the last couple of nights though, but we turn it off while we are at work during the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

:whistling:We havent put the underfloor heating on yet, however we have a lovely wood burning stove that heats the whole house..... gets lovely toasty and warm

Posted

Must echo what "Isolated Frost" has said. Simply, if the temperature starts getting below a comfortable level in the house, then the relevant level of heat is required thereby to correct the situation as necessary. With the very cold weather in late August, that became a necessity.

Guest Quantumsnow

Living in a new home this year with Aga, woodburner and inglenook. Wouldn't normally light a fire this early, especially as it's been so mild down here but we did have a trial run of the heating and light the woodburner after it was swept to check the draw etc. No more logs to do :)

Have a king size bag of marshmallows ready for when we light the fire though :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

We were having the electric convector on occasionally since the end of September, but I banished that through our recent west Wales Indian Summer!

Central Heating will be on ready for the visit of my elderly relatives in early November.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

And everyone has a different idea of a comfortable temperature. It's the one thing I don't like about winter: nearly every shop, pub, house I go in has the heating turned up so high (ofter over 22c) that I find it very uncomfortable and often have to go outside to cool off.

My thermostat (for the odd occasion the heating is on) is set at 15c - and it usually only comes on when the room temp is below 12c, unless I'm sitting around for a long time without getting dressed.

At least my bedroom temp is starting to fall down to comfortable levels now. Can't wait to be able to sleep under a duvet again :)

Posted

It's been on and off once or twice in the past few weeks, though the building loses heat rather quickly.

At least I have heating though, unlike last winter when I had NO heating at all during the coldest weather. :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

I've had the heat pump on in my living room but no other heating throughout the house and I haven't even thought about lighting the stove yet. I haven't felt the need to yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Just wondering how those who haven't put the heating on at all, dry their washing? Mine won't dry outside now, too damp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Just wondering how those who haven't put the heating on at all, dry their washing? Mine won't dry outside now, too damp.

Tumble Drier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

In my conservatory, works great even in winter. It only needs a little sun and they dry in no time.

Posted

Its not drying now its cool and cloudy, but when its fairly sunny it drys well still in the utility room. We then put it in the boiler room through the Winter once the CH is on timer, i.e. in 2 weeks time.

At the moment it takes quite a few days with this cloudy weather and goes in the airing cupboard to finish off.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

only for a hour since the house just been wall insurlulated that lasts all night now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Did my anual test of the radiator fluid and all is fine. Taken the air out. Its off now!!!. waiting for snow now :)

Posted

We have one of those Galileo glass thermometers, When the green sphere reaches the top, We put the living room storage heater on 4 and gradually increase it to keep it down,If the next one falls we turn it down,Works like a dream we only put 1 heater on most of the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I have put heating on otherwise it's tumble dryer (not good for your clothes) or they just sit around the living room taking up space and stink like a damp dog after two days of trying to dry.

They always smell fresher is dried outside and it doesn't cover your living room in clothes for two days either. I do miss the extra space the yard gives now we're moving into the colder months :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Haven't had my heating on yet in my hall, in a south facing room so the sun has kept it warm.

Mine is northern facing sadly, and the lights in my room are rubbish meaning that it's very dark! Great view of Reading and the Thames valley from my room though.

Posted

I am in shame then - heating came on the other week! Well the thermostat got turned up (by me) and then it kicked in, only set at 15c, someone in the house had turned it down to 8!

Fed up with washing draped everywhere so got the aga turned back on as well, then the kitchen overheated and we had to open the windows!

Looking forward to next week, logs are in, chimney swept, sledges on order....

Posted

When it gets cold , we turn it on, t'aint cold yet :cold:

Another few weeks I expect down here, living on the sarf coast means winter don't arrive until January