MAF

Is your heating on yet?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Heating on?

• yes
    • no
    • too early
    • live in an igloo
    • whats global warming got to do with it??
    • only when "he's" not home

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

Despite me having a fairly new house it is nowhere near warm when cold weather from the North and East arrives paticulary as my living room and kitchen only have one small radiator :( each making the most lived in rooms insanely cold in Winter In terms of turning on the heating I have only put it on once this week and that was to dry some washing. Next week though may see the heating being turned on, on a more regular basis as we make that slide torwards Winter. I wish I could afford an AGA they sound great !

:cold:

Posted

Despite me having a fairly new house it is nowhere near warm when cold weather from the North and East arrives paticulary as my living room and kitchen only have one small radiator :( each making the most lived in rooms insanely cold in Winter In terms of turning on the heating I have only put it on once this week and that was to dry some washing. Next week though may see the heating being turned on, on a more regular basis as we make that slide torwards Winter. I wish I could afford an AGA they sound great !

:cold:

i would love an aga in my kitchen, doubt i would need heating at all then. my house is about 30 years old, double glazed and recently cavity wall insulated. i had a survey done a while back about loft insulation and although it was done a few years ago, apparently its still not thick enough for current building standards. i saw a couple of years back a thermal image of my street and was amazed at the heat loss through the roofs. since then my heating has halved with the wall insulation and glazing, and hopefully when the loft is reinsulated i shall reduce the bill even more :)

might be worth you looking into how much insulation you have SG :D

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Dread to think what the thermal image of this place would be... very old building originally for stabling horses I think that's been converted/extended into a house. Only true double glazing is upstairs skylights. It gets cold quickly here especially when the wind is from the east.

Posted

Yet again I'm sat in shorts in a 23C room thanks to the lovely lady who's sat there in a sweater with a blanket over her..................

Would suit me fine if all boilers in lowland England and Wales were programmed so that they could only be switched on between 1st Oct and 30 April. And then only if it was below about 13C outside. That fresh May evening when it's a balmy 16C as the sun goes down at 9pm and SHE WANTS THE HEATING ON :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: What a waste of precious resources

Posted

Dread to think what the thermal image of this place would be... very old building originally for stabling horses I think that's been converted/extended into a house. Only true double glazing is upstairs skylights. It gets cold quickly here especially when the wind is from the east.

was trying to find a link for thermal images, and saw this

"In the UK alone, there are probably eight million properties that require insulation of some sort," says Keith Hewitson, director of Heatseekers.

"If you're looking at getting cavity wall insulation and good quality roof insulation, to a depth of about 250mm, you could save £200 to £300 per year on fuel bills."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jan/22/energyefficiency-carbonemissions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The jury is still out here - Mr D is yet to say 'yes'... but I have put the winter quilt on the bed today and if he's too hot and moans there is always the spare room !! To be fair the house is really well insulated with double glazing but it has been a bit chilly this week so I've put a jumper on and tried not to grumble - we do have a fire in the living room so tomorrow night that will be on if not the heating !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

"In the UK alone, there are probably eight million properties that require insulation of some sort," says Keith Hewitson, director of Heatseekers.

"If you're looking at getting cavity wall insulation and good quality roof insulation, to a depth of about 250mm, you could save £200 to £300 per year on fuel bills."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jan/22/energyefficiency-carbonemissions

Unfortunately this isn't my house to insulate (rented) and I don't think the building would accommodate much in the way of improved insulation. I'll just enjoy this place in summer (really great summer house) and endure it in winter!

Posted

just had 5 days of full rewire and new gas central heating install.so i'm looking forward to the oncomming cold spell after all the muck and dirt iv'e had to put up with this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

If you or someone else are feeling chilled then put it on, dont be non-cosy ,its not always about the temps, because some feel the cold more, but myself i put thicker jumper on outside, no coat yet, yet im freezing out in the evening, how stupid? well im trying hard to wait until the real cold comes(a taster on its way) then when i wear coat il notice its warmth more? . on friday it was cloudy and the flat is colder tonight, but when its got sun shining in its warm, even if cold outside, im south/sw facing.

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Not if your annual heating bill is already less than £50 :lol:

(I spend about £100 a year on gas, which also includes year round hot water)

Posted

just had 5 days of full rewire and new gas central heating install.so i'm looking forward to the oncomming cold spell after all the muck and dirt iv'e had to put up with this week.

just had the weekend with no central heating or hot water :(:rolleyes:

fortunately it was just a sensor needing changing and even more fortunately the weather wasn't that cold. going to my Mother-in-law reminded me though... i must fit the new power shwer i have been meaning to fit for the last year :lol:

Posted

The heating has been on a couple of times in the evening already, it takes a couple of weeks once the cooler weather arrives for me to adjust, and then I won't really mind the cold, just put a jumper on to walk to the station in the morning and I am fine. A coat is only needed when it is very cold and damp, cold and crisp no problem.

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

Not if your annual heating bill is already less than £50 :lol:

(I spend about £100 a year on gas, which also includes year round hot water)

Crumbs, that's amazing. Do you have a woodburner or anything?

Posted

Crumbs, that's amazing. Do you have a woodburner or anything?

No, I just live in a modern terraced house and rarely have any heating on - not had it on here since sometime in March - when I needed it to get some clothes dry! I also prefer cooler temps anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

chucked it on at half 3 this morning , my bedroom was like a fridge! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I put it on in the morning when I'm out at lectures and then switch it off again when I get back :)

Posted

seems to cooling down period has a few more people switching on... still seems that this October has cooled rapidly past the second week.

wonder whether previous years compare? :)