Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Jetstream Question

PeteB

Posted

I've just seen the latest positioning of the Jetstream over in the model discussion forums. It looks to have migrated a long way from its normal trajectory. Could someone tell me how much overall variation there is in the position of the Jetsteam, in other words what's the furthest North and South it ever goes?

Thanks,

Pete

I've just seen the latest positioning of the Jetstream over in the model discussion forums. It looks to have migrated a long way from its normal trajectory. Could someone tell me how much overall variation there is in the position of the Jetsteam, in other words what's the furthest North and South it ever goes?

Thanks,

Pete

I'm not sure if this will help, but this thread could be a good starting point:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/44825-jet-stream/page__p__1167088__hl__jetstream__fromsearch__1#entry1167088

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

on the model discussion thread Steve Murr said that a high pressure system of 584 decameters was being modelled over Greenland. Now I know that a decameter is 10 metres so could someone be good enough to explain to me what this is in millibars. SM seems to think this is some kind of record but the models are only showing an anticyclone of 1045 millibars. confused! Thanks in anticipation.

SS2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

on the model discussion thread Steve Murr said that a high pressure system of 584 decameters was being modelled over Greenland. Now I know that a decameter is 10 metres so could someone be good enough to explain to me what this is in millibars. SM seems to think this is some kind of record but the models are only showing an anticyclone of 1045 millibars. confused! Thanks in anticipation.

SS2

Hi there,

A little late, but the 582 dam he is referering to is the height that you would have to ascend to above the earths surface to reach a pressure of 500 MB, not sure why it was origionally done this way instead of plotting the pressures at some x KM height.

These areas often correlate well (especially if cut off) with the position of surface highs and lows (which are in MB at mean sea level).

The highest ever surface pressure recorded was 1085.6 mb; Tosontsengel, Khövsgöl Province, Mongolia, December 19, 2001.

KP