Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Much Snow Have You Got?

Posted

update on my 2330 report, the total is now 34/35cm-truly astounding amount for Doncaster

its 34cm after more plods around front and back, over the tops of wellies, something I've not experienced since I lived with my parents, so I suppose level snow of 1 foot would be 1947, and that 500ft up on the edge of the Peak District. I see Potty has about 7 inches more and still waiting for Pit to give his depth, someone at Lodge Moor way above Sheffield gave an amount which I forget now, 18 inches or so.

The fall in a swathe from the Lincs coast, through Doncaster and to Sheffield with approx 20+ miles either side is a once in a lifetime occurrence I would think.

No Met O Flash messages before midnight anyway when I had 18cm, yes jh said it, I find that appalling.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

4-5cm in Norwich, mostly icy after thaw late on Monday and subsequent refreeze.

There were a few short-lived dustings on Thursday and Friday, about 3-4cm accumulated Saturday morning before reducing to 2cm in sunshine, then heavy snow showers till 4pm on Monday brought the snow cover to a maximum depth of 6-7cm.

Up in Cleadon my parents reported a maximum depth of approximately 17cm on the 28th November, it thawed to about 8cm level depth by the morning of the 30th but is now in the process of reaccumulating (so not quite as deep as last January but still remarkable for late November). Marginality near the coast has reduced the extent of the overall depths as there is even more of it inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

update on my 2330 report, the total is now 34/35cm-truly astounding amount for Doncaster

its 34cm after more plods around front and back, over the tops of wellies, something I've not experienced since I lived with my parents, so I suppose level snow of 1 foot would be 1947, and that 500ft up on the edge of the Peak District. I see Potty has about 7 inches more and still waiting for Pit to give his depth, someone at Lodge Moor way above Sheffield gave an amount which I forget now, 18 inches or so.

The fall in a swathe from the Lincs coast, through Doncaster and to Sheffield with approx 20+ miles either side is a once in a lifetime occurrence I would think.

No Met O Flash messages before midnight anyway when I had 18cm, yes jh said it, I find that appalling.

Yet I had a "severe" weather "warning" for 2-5cm and got diddly squat. And people wonder why the Met Office gets slated for southern bias!

Posted

Just got in from trying to go to work but I literally got stuck in the snow on the paths. It's coming past my knee's almost to my thighs in some places so easily 3-4 FOOT deep in North Lincoln.

post-2355-0-62638600-1291197643_thumb.jp

even with the incredible snowfall in your area 3-4ft seems a bit on the high side, would you do me a favour when you are able and take some more measurements around your house. If its drifted ignore that area.

many thanks

I want to collate all the depths that seemed to be under the snowband last night into this morning.

Anyone else see this in Lincs, Derbyshore, south Yorkshire please drop your amounts in here for me.

thanks again

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

86cms here in northumberland @850 feet on the edge of the pennines as of half an hour ago and its still coming down hard

Most snow ive ever seen in my 30 years

Drifts well over 6 foot in places

Edited by tynevalleywinter

Posted

About 12-15 Inch here,Im constantly losing my battle with the snow, Im trying to keep my car snow and ice free as my wife is likely to go into labour at any minute,Im dreaming about clearing snow.It is worse than last year at the moment,It stopped snowing long enough last year to get things going again.This year its never stopped,I just cant wait to get the new baby home so I can let the car hibernate.

I want to collate all the depths that seemed to be under the snowband last night into this morning.

Anyone else see this in Lincs, Derbyshore, south Yorkshire please drop your amounts in here for me.

thanks again

Not sure of the technical definition of level snow depth but will quote the numbers if it helps.

A plastic table in the back yard is shown in the photo below. It is in a fairly sheltered position but as you may be able to see one side seems to be slightly higher than the other. Depending on where I place the wooden measuring pole I can get a reading between 45cm and 51cm. SW Chesterfield is the location.

post-9729-0-71870400-1291218549_thumb.jp

Posted

Not sure of the technical definition of level snow depth but will quote the numbers if it helps.

A plastic table in the back yard is shown in the photo below. It is in a fairly sheltered position but as you may be able to see one side seems to be slightly higher than the other. Depending on where I place the wooden measuring pole I can get a reading between 45cm and 51cm. SW Chesterfield is the location.

thanks for that

used to live in Holmewood, born there, so the area is well known to me, which part of Chesterfield?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

A very large (for here), 1cm on the ground!

thanks for that

used to live in Holmewood, born there, so the area is well known to me, which part of Chesterfield?

Yep, im from Chesterfield too. 48 cms in Whittington. Truly astounding. I think the 78/9 winter was the last time this happened. Then, everyone got together, shovels etc... and sept all driveways/access roads. Now its every man for himself. I was genuinely shocked at the amount. I do feel the Met O have grossly underestimated this one!!

This is my first post. I live between Gainsborough and Sprunehorpe on the side of the River Trent. We had 45cm between 3.30pm yesterday and 7am this morning. Never seen so much here in 30 years.

Edited by compo

Posted

welcome compo-love the name-Last of the Summer Wine sounds like!

can you put that location in your avatar please-thanks for the report

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

I have only got 13cm of snow which is frozen rock solid it is like ice now theres no point in it being there lol its been here since friday now.

Posted

I do feel the Met O have grossly underestimated this one!!

I totally agree and have said so a couple of times-very poor

tks for the extra info and know Whittington-is that where the old lamp works used to be?

Posted

Wow some incredible amounts reported in the South Yorkshire and Derbyshire and Lincolnshire areas, and all off one fall? Last time I measured this afternoon I had 24cm, which is deep enough, and that has accumulated over a number of days from showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

35cm here - that has built up since this time last week, though I did lose 12cm to a thaw on Monday night.