Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Lying Days

paul tall

Posted

Not sure if this is the correct area to put these observations...

Anyhow, I've just worked out that since December 17th last year, I have had FORTY SEVEN days of lying snow at my location. The average 71-00 for lowland County Durham is c12-16 per calendar year. OK I'm comparing a yearly average to a rolling 12 months here but I still think it is staggering.

Also, with 10 days to go to make the full year from December 17th 2009, it looks certain to end up over 50 snow lying days in that 12 month period.

To look at it per year, in 2009 we had 24 days of lying snow, and in 2010 we have 31 days so far, with 40 looking a good bet to be breached.

Per season, 09/10 gave 35 days, and 10/11 has given 12 days so far. Astonishing bearing in mind that I've struggled to hit 10 per year/season in some recent years!

Posted

That's some incredible stats there...

In lowland south east England over the last 12 months, we have had in Reigate 22 days of lying snow so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

41 and counting at Cleadon over the last 12 months, and 29 and counting for 2010- remarkable!

The previous snowiest seasons there since I began recording had been 1993/94 and 1995/96 (18 days each) and the snowiest years had been 1993 & 1996 (14 days each). 2009 (15 days) broke that record and the 2009/10 season (27 days) smashed the previous record.

I cannot see Cleadon losing more than 50% of its snow cover before Saturday, so by Friday it should be 45 days over the previous 12 months and 33 days for the calendar year 2010, more than twice the previous high set in 2009.

Posted

40 days and counting over a rolling 12 months from the 17th Dec 2009 so its over quite a wide area of the North of England from west to east.

Posted

30 days so far for here which is pretty astounding as the Finningley average for 1943-1995, well above my 13 year average, was 12-13 days of lying snow per year.

For comparison 1962-63 had 36!

Tomorrow will be day 11 on the trot here, add to that 20-odd from Dec-Jan last winter and a further 10-odd from late February 2010. I must look up the proper stats from last year...but it's a lot whatever way you look at it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

My 2/3mm all went on saturday so thats 3/4 days ?

Some places if the cold comes back after next weekends mild spell will be interesting re nos of days.

Posted

Tomorrow will be the 11th morning on the trot with snow cover, admittedly the cover did become quite patchy early last week. Will be interesting to see what impact the milder spell later this week will have, I think we will make it to Friday morning with snow cover, Saturday mmm not sure, the 3-4 inch cover will probably go, whereas those in the NE with 8 inches + should hold onto cover I suspect.

Its a remarkable start to the season.

Posted

Don't keep detailed records I'm afraid, but on to 11th day of snow cover here now, and (taking a 'rolling' 12 month basis from 17 Dec 2009) must be well on the way to a half-century of days in the last 12 months. There were well over 30 from last winter (from 17 Dec well into January, late Feb/early March and late March).

Posted

this morning made it the 12th in a row and never less than2cm from day 2 with total cover, this morning it was on 13cm no change from yesterday which is not surprising since it was an Ice Day. The unusual thing, as well as the length its been, is just how white the snow remains.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

"Snow Lying Days Eye opening statistics"

We have had 0 full days of lying snow.

Well do some singing then that'll get you some snow.

Thanks Derbyshire_Snow saves me looking it up. :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Here on the NE coast in South Shields we have had 12 consecutive days of lying snow with no 'green' areas to be seen with average depths of 4-6" with deeper areas on open fields and gardens,even on untreated pavements we have a generous cover of very hard compact snow and ice. Hoping after the weekend ( I really can't see this fleeting 'milder' interlude causing too much damage) we still have more snow cover than green areas which technically are classified as 'snow-lying' days..

Posted

11th day with snow cover. Last night we saw 2 inches of fresh powder which has clung to the trees all day and retained its sharp whiteness.

Unfortunately I believe the milder weather with its associated drizzly rain will wash it all away from lower ground by Saturday whilst eastern parts due to having much deeper cover and by staying dry will cling onto snow cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: autumn, winter, cold, sunny, snow, crisp

lying snow on the uplands and in areas where the sun hasn't reached since 28 Nov 2010 and a fresh covering on the uplands yesterday and over night. so in all so far with this cold snap (not sure that's quite the right word to use!) 11 days of lying snow here on the Isle of Man. not sure that it will remain over the coming days of less cold (not daring to call it mild) but looking at the models the cold and snow showers are set to return mid week next week so guess we can notch this december up as one of the coldest in recent memory.

good luck to all out there that cant get to work or school and to those that have come to harm or crisis during this time may your God be with you. ><>

Posted

13th day with no green or brown visible whatever, I must look up the data back to 1943 and see how many times, if at all, this has occurred before, 1947 and 1962-63 I would assume are the two probables back to the start of data in this area in 1943. Or data that I have anyway.

Posted

13 days in a row now of snow cover.There is still 9 inches of snow, which has been the case for around the last 5 days now.At one stage it was an incredible 18 inches.

post-6955-0-65507100-1291852583_thumb.jp