Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stupid Footwear In This Snowy Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why people are venturing out in ice and snow in completely inappropriate footwear? I'm in a wheelchair, and I have 2 pairs of boots (come to think of it, four pairs :whistling::blush:) with soles designed for slippery conditions (I need good boots because my feet easily get cold, before anyone wonders).

I understood it last winter, because we'd got used to a run of mild winters and people hadn't seen the need, but surely that must have been a wake-up call?:aggressive::cc_confused:

What have you good people been wearing to get around?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Trainers and standard shoes. I don't have a great deal of sympathy for those who complain about the snow while wearing sandals and heels that leave lots of bare skin exposed to the elements!

Posted

Trainers and standard shoes. I don't have a great deal of sympathy for those who complain about the snow while wearing sandals and heels that leave lots of bare skin exposed to the elements!

I suppose my point is that, yes, councils etc. need to get their act together somewhat better than they do at the moment, but there is an element of personal responsibility/self-help/whatever you want to call it.

Posted

Can anyone enlighten me as to why people are venturing out in ice and snow in completely inappropriate footwear? I'm in a wheelchair, and I have 2 pairs of boots (come to think of it, four pairs :whistling::blush:) with soles designed for slippery conditions (I need good boots because my feet easily get cold, before anyone wonders).

I understood it last winter, because we'd got used to a run of mild winters and people hadn't seen the need, but surely that must have been a wake-up call?:aggressive::cc_confused:

What have you good people been wearing to get around?

Thermal undies ( with clothes on top of course :blush: ) and I have three pair of boots ( reminds me of the joke about the man that wore a clean pair of socks every day, and at the end of the week couldn't get his shoes on. Doh! :doh: ) and also a pair of waterproof trainers. Someone today told me they also wear a pair of old socks on top of their shoes when it is icy to stop slipping. Mine wouldn't fit on top of my shoes but could buy hubbies i suppose.

What really amuses me is the young women who still wear mini skirts in the sub zero temps and often also a short jacket that leaves a gap between top and bottom areas. Reckon they must be tougher than the lads. :nea: Or maybe just thicker.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Thermal undies ( with clothes on top of course :blush: ) and I have three pair of boots ( reminds me of the joke about the man that wore a clean pair of socks every day, and at the end of the week couldn't get his shoes on. Doh! :doh: ) and also a pair of waterproof trainers. Someone today told me they also wear a pair of old socks on top of their shoes when it is icy to stop slipping. Mine wouldn't fit on top of my shoes but could buy hubbies i suppose.

What really amuses me is the young women who still wear mini skirts in the sub zero temps and often also a short jacket that leaves a gap between top and bottom areas. Reckon they must be tougher than the lads. :nea: Or maybe just thicker.

I've heard about the socks over boots tip as well, though I think that, if it's so bad that grippy boots won't work, you're better off with those detachable spike things.

Posted

I lived for 21 years in Northern Michigan just a few miles south of Lake Superior where it wasna unusual to get 400 inches a year of lake effect snow and everyone wore Sorel Boots. I still do here... snow or not in winter. They are great in rain or mud too. Try a pair.. you'd never wear anything else!

Edited by helen of the north

Posted

I actually saw someone out wearing flip flops at the weekend - when the snow was at its most slushy and icy!

In the snow, I wear my trusty psit of hiking boots - as a Scout leader I swear by them!

When at work, I have a good stout pair of Doc Martens and they can cope well with the ice on the pavements!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Being a gardener and working outdoors all year round I'm afraid warm, dry feet are an absolute must; I've tried lots of different sorts over the years but have reached the conclusion nothing works better than a pair of leather wellies. They're expensive if you go for names like Dubarry but I've found the cheaper version of Dublin River Boots are equally as good and saves me fretting about trashing an expensive pair (Dubarry's £290, Dublin's £105). Mine are now on their 3rd winter of being worn every day and still going strong - a periodic good scrub, application of water proofer and dubbin works wonders.

Leather, Gore Tex lined with Touch Tech Durable rubber sole which offers lightweight flexibility and Traction Control Grip is how they're described. Perfect toe cosies which stop you falling on your backside when it's slippy.

Posted

Unsurprisingly, it sounds as though most of us weather-fascinated type are well-prepared. Funny you should mention Sorels, Helen - they are my latest pair. They're like tanks!B)

Posted

Unsurprisingly, it sounds as though most of us weather-fascinated type are well-prepared. Funny you should mention Sorels, Helen - they are my latest pair. They're like tanks!B)

aye.. sorels are brilliant. I've not got one of the right flash pairs, mine are the 1964 classics and they are fantastic... with the cozy felt slipper-like liners that pull out and you can warm them up next to the fire. Everyone in my family has a pair and we wear them all winter.. :)

Posted

aye.. sorels are brilliant. I've not got one of the right flash pairs, mine are the 1964 classics and they are fantastic... with the cozy felt slipper-like liners that pull out and you can warm them up next to the fire. Everyone in my family has a pair and we wear them all winter.. :)

I have kids sized feet, and I did have the Yoot Pac (kids version of your 1964 pacs), but I felt the soles were a bit flimsy - no real problem with me being in a wheelchair, but I do like grippy boots, so I changed to a pair of Youth Caribous with the lug soles. I think they're brilliant!

Posted

if it's so bad that grippy boots won't work, you're better off with those detachable spike things.

I work outside, doing lots of walking, and invested in some of those.

The first day of wearing them saw me lose the spikes on one and the wiring break on the other!

Posted

I work outside, doing lots of walking, and invested in some of those.

The first day of wearing them saw me lose the spikes on one and the wiring break on the other!

Which ones did you get?

Posted

have seen kids sent to school by their mums in the flimsiest fashion shoes (usually the girls), no coats and short skirts. I know the young don#t feel the cold as much ( i never did - its not that long ago!) and need to look "cool" but i always had a thick coat, wellies etc in the depths of winter.

its like this X Factor "crush horror" story. Most of the 35 people that got injuried in Brum were stupid tweenie girls who went out in "inappropriate dress for sub zero conditions" according to the local ambulance crews who had to pick up the pieces. Many of the girls had not eaten or drunk anything all day and were surprised when they became borderline hypothermic, in their short skirts and coatless, sleeveless outfits, stood in -7 degree temps for 3 hourse - leaving the emergency services to pick up the pieces and presumably the girls and their families to blame the organisers.

Edited by jimmyay

Posted

There is a general attitude in britain to wear inadequate clothing in winter.It is not uncommon to see girls in mini skirts in sub zero weather as we know.Odd and pretty dangerous.The winter before last a girl died on a golf course in heavy snow a fter going out dressed inadequately.People can be really dumb.

Posted

its like this X Factor "crush horror" story. Most of the 35 people that got injuried in Brum were stupid tweenie girls who went out in "inappropriate dress for sub zero conditions" according to the local ambulance crews who had to pick up the pieces. Many of the girls had not eaten or drunk anything all day and were surprised when they became borderline hypothermic, in their short skirts and coatless, sleeveless outfits, stood in -7 degree temps for 3 hourse - leaving the emergency services to pick up the pieces and presumably the girls and their families to blame the organisers.

How un-trendy I am, I don't follow that show and wasn't aware of such an incident happening. Is everyone going to recover?

Posted

Have to admit I am one of the "silly" people that wear stupid footware, my work shoes have no grip what so ever, every morning I wear them to take the dog for a walk and spend so much time picking my way down paths and up grass slopes that you would have though I would have learnt my lesson by now, not to mention how saw my Bum gets.

Still I haven't learnt yet and I am sure there must be something wired wrongly in my head as bizarrely I kind of enjoy the challenge of not falling over.

Posted

Have to admit I am one of the "silly" people that wear stupid footware, my work shoes have no grip what so ever, every morning I wear them to take the dog for a walk and spend so much time picking my way down paths and up grass slopes that you would have though I would have learnt my lesson by now, not to mention how saw my Bum gets.

Still I haven't learnt yet and I am sure there must be something wired wrongly in my head as bizarrely I kind of enjoy the challenge of not falling over.

I suspect, dear Sir, that you are not in the "silly" camp, more likely in the "obtuse", "bl**dy-minded" or "perverse" ones.:whistling::pardon:

Posted

I'm enjoying wearing my 14 up cherry red steelie DMs :D

Posted

I'm enjoying wearing my 14 up cherry red steelie DMs :D

8 hole black and the same in cherry red here.:drinks:

There are some stupid people about - obviously they are not warm blooded! After nearly going base over apex several times last winter I invested in some all weather boots, with anti-slip soles from Cotton Traders - 20 percent discount back in the summer - touch wood, I have not fallen so far! :rolleyes: after a few glasses of wine it may be a different storey but then when you are p****d and you fall you don't feel a thing do you?? So somebody told me anway :whistling:

Posted

There are some stupid people about - obviously they are not warm blooded! After nearly going base over apex several times last winter I invested in some all weather boots, with anti-slip soles from Cotton Traders - 20 percent discount back in the summer - touch wood, I have not fallen so far! :rolleyes: after a few glasses of wine it may be a different storey but then when you are p****d and you fall you don't feel a thing do you?? So somebody told me anway :whistling:

They sound good!

Edited by chrisbell0033944

Posted

I'm in a wheelchair, and I have 2 pairs of boots (come to think of it, four pairs :whistling::blush:) with soles designed for slippery conditions (I need good boots because my feet easily get cold, before anyone wonders).

Hmm, miscounted, make that 3 pairs LOL.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I've got to admit, I go out in plimsolls in the snow all the time. I've had a pair during both the severe cold spells over the past two years and although my granny absolutely despises it, it doesn't really bother me at all.