Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Am I The Only Sad Sod Who Sits Watching Lamposts?

Mr Freeze

Posted

Am I the only sad sod who sits watching lamposts? I get the seat in the house with the view of the lamp post over the road, and when it starts to snow I must check this lamp post out every 5 mins to see how the snow is falling. Maybe I'm the only sado that does this in the UK who knows? :smiliz57:

Posted
Maybe I'm the only sado that does this in the UK who knows? :smiliz57:

This couldn't be further from the truth - you've found your spiritual home! :smiliz19:

Lamppost watch is an essential part of the winter experience. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Am I the only sad sod who sits watching lamposts? I get the seat in the house with the view of the lamp post over the road, and when it starts to snow I must check this lamp post out every 5 mins to see how the snow is falling. Maybe I'm the only sado that does this in the UK who knows? :smiliz57:

Had a thread like this a while back.

During the even larger teapot period cira 1990 to 2008 , i would be looking out of window at 4am to see if a flake of snow fell under the lamp post.

My partner use to find this very annoying given it was July :whistling:

Now I have nearly a foot of snow and dont want any more (too many travel plans)

I must admit that not only am I an avid lamp post watcher, I am checking the charts, the forecasts and the radar.

Just at this moment I have been checking the forecasts for next week, in particular. Net weather has torrential rain for our area with only a small chance of it falling as snow which would be such a pity as it would melt the snow before Christmas, weather outlook has the precipitation as snow but give mid level thickness and temperature values so as to make this scenerio unlikely. Accuweather seems to be generally over-rating the maxes and does not mention any precipitation for this day and Metcheck gives just .5 mm precipitation with continued ice days for a while.

I am so confused - I think I will have a nervous breakdown - as it is the warming just after Christmas is only in the models so far and perhaps they are wrong and perhaps the cold spell may be prolonged for another month - who knows?

I must go and take my pills......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

about 99% of the members who love snow on this forum all lampost watch including me, dont worry your not alone! :rolleyes:

Posted

Doesn't everybody in the world lamp post watch?

Now me, I'm the real McKoy, I also do the windscreen test - as in marginal events I will run outside and jump in the car so I can see whatever is landing on the windscreen. If you do this then you are hardcore.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes, Netweather is definitely home to the Lamppost watchers.

Personally i am just sad that my room is the opposite side, so i keep going for a drink watching the snow fall.

Infact in years to come when i buy a house, i will only buy one with a lampost in front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Now me, I'm the real McKoy, I also do the windscreen test - as in marginal events I will run outside and jump in the car so I can see whatever is landing on the windscreen. If you do this then you are hardcore.

No driving in that car to a local hill at 600ft at midnight to see if is snow or the potential is hard core. :whistling:

Posted

In answer to the question in the title

YES

only because I have no lamposts :smiliz19:

No driving in that car to a local hill at 600ft at midnight to see if is snow or the potential is hard core. :whistling:

Bit difficult if you've drunk too much Newcy Brown, better to just see if there's anything on the windscreen without starting the engine !!

Posted

I can remember in February 1991 staying up all night as the rain turned to snow, my wife thought I was mad. The daft thing is I am little bit older and I still find it hard to sleep if snow is forecast and spend half the night curtain twitching, luckily we live opposite a field so no one thinks I am a peeping tom!

Posted

Thank goodness Im not the only finds it hard to sleep. always twitching the curtain every 10 mins :yahoo:

I can remember in February 1991 staying up all night as the rain turned to snow, my wife thought I was mad. The daft thing is I am little bit older and I still find it hard to sleep if snow is forecast and spend half the night curtain twitching, luckily we live opposite a field so no one thinks I am a peeping tom!

Posted

Hard core is going outside at 4am to take a picture of the outside temp readout ;) Who DOESN'T lamp post watch??!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Lampost watching is great fun!

I actually prefer snowfall at night for this very reason!