Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daily Chase Account 060504

Guest ChaserUK

Guest ChaserUK

Well things are looking up! My initial target area I think will be Iowa City in Iowa. This will be a drive of 280 miles and will take us about 3 hours. The area under a SLIGHT risk at the moment but the final decision will wait for the morning. Currently a few minutes to 10pm here so I know there will be no one to respond but tomorrow seems the first proper Storm Chase of many. :D:D:D

Guest MW Jones

Hello Chaser, looking at the latest info, I'd say you are spot on heading for Iowa City, dewpoints already at 14c and heading upward, there could be some good action there. Good luck to you, keep us informed.

Guest ChaserUK

Well guys I am sticking with my original target area of Iowa City. In fact SPC have extended the area to include the area I wake up in this morning. The frontal boundary which will act as the focus for severe storms will lie E/W just to the N of I80 - I will make for I80 and watch as the storms develop. I should then be able to position myself on the SW flank fairly easily. I am hoping for good severe storms, good visibility and some decent hail/ wind events with nice storm structure. Ah yes, dont forget the tornadoes!

Posted

Hiya Chaser mate,

Well I have just updated myself on your activities. Have been off work and then ultra busy, so haven't checked in as often as would have liked. Anyway I am fully updated now and wait with anticipation for your next installment.

It's so good of you to take the time to update us here on net weather and I am sure I speak for everyone in saying thank you, we are very grateful.

Hope you see some amazing sights, but please please be careful, take care of yourself and stay safe.

To quote my Dad, "If in doubt, or you have to think about it - don't do it!"

Take care mate 23_28_109.gif

Posted

Hope you get some action Matt, can't wait to see some images even if it's cloud structures and lightning shots!! Looks like my week out with you may have ended on a high after all, will wait in anticipation :wink::wink:

We have had some great convection in the Uk but only 1 tornado this week, but on the plus side 8 storms this year already with 4 in the past week!! Looking like a great year :D:D:D

Paul Sherman

Guest MW Jones

Chaser, I imagine this is a little way from you at the moment if you have held your position, but this severe storm watch has just been issued:

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF  

CENTRAL LOWER MICHIGAN

LAKE MICHIGAN

LAKE HURON

EFFECTIVE THIS THURSDAY MORNING AND AFTERNOON FROM 1115 AM UNTIL

400 PM EDT.

HAIL TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 70

MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS ALONG AND 50 STATUTE MILES

NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 50 MILES NORTHWEST OF GRAND RAPIDS

MICHIGAN TO 35 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF FLINT MICHIGAN.

Guest ChaserUK

After waking up in Onawa, 40 miles S of Sioux City in NE Nebraska, it was clear the cloudy skies indicated the promixaty of the cold front that was to be the focus for today’s severe weather. After breakfast and a light rain shower, we were recording DP’s around 49f and temps of only 66f – we had to get S and E.

We are currently heading along the I80 towards Des Moine and then Iowa City in Iowa, this being our initial target area. Temps have risen to 77f and the DP is now 59f. The frontal boundary is to our N and W and clear skies abound to our S and E.

11:15am

Just stopped for some gas and clean windscreen. Dark skies to our N and NW with signs of mammatus and virga. Convection also taking place but pretty high based. Temp of 82.4f and dps up to 61f now. Still headed E on I80 about 15 miles away from Des Moines.

11:42am

Just had a call from Dave in OK who is now-casting for us considering the difficulty we have had accessing the net whilst on the move. We are still on track. There are DP’s in the mid to high 60’s heading across Missouri at present heading our way, currently 60f here at present.

12:49pm

Quick stop. Heading again on I80 towards Iowa City. Took some great shots of what appears to be mammatus. Apparently a Severe Thunderstorm Watch has gone up around the area.

13:25

Received a warning for speeding at 81mph in a 65mph zone. Just coming up to Iowa City.

14:17

Continue on I80 past Iowa City. Nothing much happening weather-wise and at a welcome centre we managed to get a glimpse of radar – nothing but light rain showers. Will this be a bust today? It is far to early to tell.

14:44

Heading SE on the I280 around Davenport. Have just crossed the Mississippi River and now in Illinois. A brief rain shower. DP now 63f, temps 83.3f. Wind SW 15mph.

15:27

DP’s have now reached 65F which for more is more like it! Temps increasing still at 85.5F and winds have backed into the S at 10-15mph. CAPE >3000 j/kg is poling out near Des Moine and initiation looks like it will be about 3 hours from now and when it goes (the cap) it will go.

19:00

Found a hotel for the night just on the N edge of Davenport in Iowa. We are fully expecting the cap to break real soon and hopefully I will have some lightning shots to show you. DP is currently 66F and temps are 88F. We have CAPE >3000 j/kg. Watching and waiting.....