Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Greenland Warmest Now Since 1870S

Posted

Well, as weather articles go, this one by the Danish Met Institute about Greenland in 2010 is about as trivial as they come:

http://www.dmi.dk/dm...t_paa_groenland

My loose translation for those who are interested:

While Denmark in 2010 was overall colder than normal, and Torshavn in the Faero Islands experienced an annual temperature slightly less than average, things were very different in Greenland.

Excepting the far north east, DMI stations in Greenland have measured record-high temperatures in 2010. Additionally, many monthly and seasonal high temperature records going back to the 1870s have been broken.

For just over a year, the atmosphere in our latitudes has exhibited a general pattern that brought Scandinavia and northern Europe very cold weather, while Greenland is mild. This pattern - which incidentally can change quickly bringing very other conditions – is named the North Atlantic Oscillation, NAO. As the name implies, it is associated with variations in atmospheric circulation (distribution of large air masses) in the north Atlantic region.

The NAO is defined as the difference in air pressure between the Azores/Lisbon and Iceland. It attracts attention because variations reflect systematic changes in the strength and location of weather systems.

High (positive) NAO indices occur when a powerful Icelandic depression coincides with a strong Azores high, between which a strong west wind blows. During winter months, this situation brings cold weather to Greenland and eastern North America, while northwest Europe experiences mild conditions. Negative NAO indices – which have dominated this past year – bring opposite conditions.

Variations in the NAO index er an important indicator of both actual weather conditions and regional climatic changes.

No mention of the stratosphere, Gulf Stream, sunspots, Nina and Nino I am afraid. The DMI does however stick its neck out with seasonal temperature predictions though, and back in November they said December, January and February would on average be 0.8 degrees warmer than than 1961-90. Seeing how December was about 6 degrees under 1961-90, and that ECMWF is predicting good westerlies the next 2 weeks, I am looking forward 7 degrees in February, so I can sow onions :good: