Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Model Analysts' Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I am concerned that the objectivity and posting quality in General M.O.thread will suffer.

As i have said before i do get frustrated over subjective posts etc but i continue to enjoy participating because of the quality imput of many members.

However if some of these members,such as the ones mentioned,transfer to the new thread then we lose much of their valued contribions in that thread and cannot directly discuss with them because of being locked out of the new thread.--if you see my point.

I would much rather you keep things as they are and continue to tighten up on the posted content.

I will be less keen on posting in the general thread if my fears are realised.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Here's a thought. Would it be possible for every post made in the "Experienced" Model Discussion to be duplicated in the normal Model Discussion? That way those who just want to see the general theme without wading through rubbish during busy periods can use the Experienced thread, and with those good posts in the normal Model Discussion as well, it gives us more amateur members something to chew on.

(I'm not saying that all posts and everyone in the normal thread post garbage by the way!)

Edited by Nick L

Posted

Judgement witheld.

However, as others have stated, if the moderation of the existing model thread is partially withdrawn, it will definitely open the floodgates for the bickering fraternity.

The tempatation for the experienced posters to ignore the existing model discussion thread would then increase exponentially.

In which case, the opportunity to interact with the more experienced members is lost.

Thus the thread will quickly come into disrepute and many valid and genuinely interested people will stop posting altogether.

The key therefore must be to maintain at least the same or improved policing standards with the commitment from the 'chosen ones' not to desert the old model thread.

Just a thought.

Good to see the site evolving and constantly looking for improvements though.

ffO.

Edited by full_frontal_occlusion

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Here's a thought. Would it be possible for every post made in the "Experienced" Model Discussion to be duplicated in the normal Model Discussion? That way those who just want to see the general theme without wading through rubbish during busy periods can use the Experienced thread, and with those good posts in the normal Model Discussion as well, it gives us more amateur members something to chew on.

(I'm not saying that all posts and everyone in the normal thread post garbage by the way!)

I like that idea, but perhaps technically fairly difficult (?), unless the contributors remember themselves to post twice.

And I wasn't agreeing that they were all garbage, despite what Hairy Celt might have thought :)

Edited by SussexmarkyMark

Posted

Listen, if it doesn't work, I'm blame someone else and we'll knock it on the head. The concerns raised here have all been raised by the team as well. With regards to FFO's point about more experienced members not taking part in the existing thread, don't forget they won't be able to post in the new thread (unless they're in the group) so maybe their desire to still contribute will ensure they carry on joining in?

Nick's idea sounds good, although I don't think technically it could work. As I say though, it's definitely hoped that the two threads overlap and the new one benefits the existing one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I like that idea, but perhaps technically fairly difficult (?), unless the contributors remember themselves to post twice.

Yeah I was just thinking that, maybe the admins could see if anything is possible?

I still think the current idea is a step in the right direction though.

Posted

Blimey, you should see what we have to trash then..... :whistling:

I suspect we will still see a very active Model Discussion thread and rest assured, all garbage will still be taken out around the back and dumped or recycled (where such facilities exist)

If that`s the case then why the need for a new Elite Thread?

I appreciate moderating posts is hard work but opening a new thread seems a cart blanch way of trying to sort the "wheat from the chaff"leaving many members who,like myself, try to post responsibly on the outside looking in.

With repect to all mods i can`t help feeling that the General Thread will be now less strictly run--i do hope i am proved wrong but i will be watching this very closely.

Posted

I think with a bit of simple cutting and pasting, posts that you want to comment on or compare from the new 'essence of the models' thread, can be replied to in the existing model discussion thread.

With repect to all mods i can`t help feeling that the General Thread will be now less strictly run--i do hope i am proved wrong but i will be watching this very closely.

I'm not sure why you feel that moderation of the existing MOD thread (or any others in the forum) will be watered down in any way? This new thread should provide a concise overview of the model output from a few regular members, helping people who want to get to the bones of the current output. There will still be an outlet in the existing threads for those that want to show and discuss their own take on the data and how they interpret it.

Posted

I still think it's a great idea, and i think it deserves a trail run even if it just for winter.

As for the rubbish thats does get posted in the model area, how about a kind of 3 point system? lol 3 strikes and you can't post in there. Or upping the mods in that area.

See this thread is turning in to an argument now. The mods do a great job here, for free and donate alot of there free time.

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Seeing as I've bothered to read this, I'll comment a bit more constructively. I think the idea is good but that the list of 'approved posters' is too short. There's probably between 30 and 50 people who contribute sensibly - not necessarily very often - and whose posts are worth reading. Increase the list to nearer this number, otherwise it looks a bit cliquey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Worth a try, although one of the peculiar attractions of the model thread is when it all kicks off. It is akin to a soap opera some days.

Will be good to have all the analysis without the junk in between. It may even encourage more, less expert folks to comment on the Model Thread, without fear of instant deletion , or go look at the guides comments etc etc.

Hopefully the cross over between them can work.

Either way, just use right click and open in new tab, window then you can read them both at once.

Posted

Great idea, I only ever read the Model Output Discussion thread as I dont have enough knowledge to add anything constructive. All I want is a summary of what the models show and what drives that conclusion. To that end I usually start at the latest post and read backwards looking for the names of the experienced posters (pretty much everyone you have listed).

This is exactly what I have been looking for.

Good work fellas.

Posted
I think the idea is good but that the list of 'approved posters' is too short. There's probably between 30 and 50 people who contribute sensibly - not necessarily very often - and whose posts are worth reading. Increase the list to nearer this number, otherwise it looks a bit cliquey.
But if we do increase it, then we run more risk of the existing thread becoming deserted. I also think that would increase any feeling of them and us. At the moment, hopefully, it's clear that there are many members who could be in the new thread, but aren't simply due to numbers?

I think it's worth a try and see how this goes for a couple of weeks, hopefully when the colder weather returns and the voulume of posts increase. I agree with the point made earlier that we seem to have four threads running and maybe merging the new thread with the technical one maybe an option.

Just a thought, if you gave all the members who have been invited to post on the new thread a reputation of 1,000 and added that option I could just set my threshold to that on the model thread and obtain the new thread :D

I'll get me coat.

Chris

Posted

In terms of this new thread I hope people just give it a chance. As I post alot in the current model discussion that definitely won't be changing and I think from the discussions when this idea was first suggested its really just to supplement that model discussion.

Hopefully some of the issues brought up in that new thread can be debated further in the current model discussion. From my own perspective this new thread maybe a way of perhaps taking a different approach to the models or at least giving alot more detail, or perhaps giving a bit more detail regarding the smaller models.

For people who don't have a great deal of time to go through loads of pages of the current model discussion it hopefully will give them a chance to catch up on developments.

Anyway as OON mentioned the mods/admin and Paul will just see how it goes, as with everything its down to whether people like it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Can you make this new thread open as the MT is just now, rather than a log in please i.e the way the regionals are set up.

My retro phone won't let me log into this site - so cannot read all the threads from my mobile - not sure if anyone else has the same issue?

Posted

Sorry I do not agree with the new thread. Surely everyone has the right to say what they like in any thread and yes it very much comes across as a them and us scenario. Net Weather advertises the forum as one of the most friendly and informative on the web and I don't see how a thread where only a certain number of invited select few will be allowed to air there views will enhance this website.

Basically this site is for amateur's that enjoying discussing the weather so it's meant to be fun and not lets turn into the met office where as so to speak the senior management get to speak and make all the important decision's while the "peasants" have no input.

Thank You

James

Posted

I'm not so sure about this to be honest, the beauty about the model thread as it stands, was that all could participate expressing a broad spectrum of views. Now it seems we have a them and us mentality, were the creme de la creme contribute on one thread, and the rest of us on another. This in my opinion will make one thread like a free for all. I'll reserve judgement until it's up and running, but hopefully I'll be proved wrong!

Posted

I think it was fine when we just had the one Model Thread. The Technical thread is good but rarely used and sails a bit over my head anyway. The General Model Discussion Thread I dont fully understand the purpose of and this thread seems to me like it will just take the good posts out of the existing model thread. I think you should just ban the people who purposefully write wind ups and rubbish in the existing thread. Anyway, hopefully it will work out.

Edited by trickydicky

Posted

No one has concerns that they can't reply to/in the daily forecast issued by the NW Forecast Team though? We still have lots of places to discuss all aspects of the weather and specifically in this instance the model output - which the forecast team, the new thread contributors and members will still be posting in! :good:

Posted

I'm not so sure about this to be honest, the beauty about the model thread as it stands, was that all could participate expressing a broad spectrum of views. Now it seems we have a them and us mentality, were the creme de la creme contribute on one thread, and the rest of us on another. This in my opinion will make one thread like a free for all. I'll reserve judgement until it's up and running, but hopefully I'll be proved wrong!

I totally understand your view point aswell as jimblob and the concerns you raised are similar to those I had when I was approached to take part.

I think the crucial point is that its not supposed to take over the current model discussion, its just somewhere where members can pop in and see the current developments without having to trawl through alot of pages in the current model discussion.

It might actually add to the debate in the current model discussion, but really it's on a trial basis, if people don't like it then I'm sure Paul etc will take this on board.

Posted

I am sure this proposed new thread was born out of the best of intentions ie,to have somewhere where objective posts are made about the daily output.

However as i have already posted my reservations on this i will not repeat them,but a suggestion.

Make more use the Tech. Model Thread .

The more knowlegable can post in there and include the daily analysis of the models--such as the contributions from Gibby.

Then just have the one other M.O.thread but stipulate that all postings must contain or refer to a chart link,thumbnail or a model/gridpoint so other members can be sure that the OP is objective--i guess copying another post and replying to that link or chart would be fine.

Two MO threads one Technical for the knowledgable and one for all --but objective.

Four threads is silly.

Good moderation is all that is needed then.

Simples--and nobody is excluded--if they post within the guidlines.

Edit.

One other thought from me.

Membership of an "open" and free forum should allow access to all threads.

Edited by phil n.warks.