Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Model Analysts' Thread

Posted

If we could find a way of duplicating the posts, then I think we'd give it a go. I don't think there is an automatic way, btw, but I'll look into it.

As for more technical stuff outside the new thread, we have kept the technical model discussion thread open for now, so that's still available, and we'll see how it goes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Excellent idea, a superb bunch as well - from all sides of the "weather spectrum"!

Could not of put it better myself :D .

Posted

Too me, this new thread just sounds like a repeat of the techinical discussion thread except this time, it is restricted except for a few members.

I don't see much wrong with the model thread in the first place, yes there can be alot of junk posts in there but members have got the ignore button if they don't like those posts. The more harsh modding on that thread on off topic posts in particular has certainly worked imo and whilst i have not been on the model thread all that much recently, I felt during the cold spells, it was not that bad to be in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Seems interesting, but seen as I won't need to be in here I won't be looking into it. I can make my own mind up as to what the models are suggesting and my preference is none. Although I might flick through for Glacier Point and Chionomaniacs posts from time to time, mostly for the Teleconnection information.

Posted

I'm not part of the 'team' OON has assembled, at least not for a while, but I do urge all of you to give this a go, give it time for those able to post to get into the swing of things so to speak. Its something that can be played around with after allowing time for it to settle down.

In my view it is perhaps the best idea on Net Weather, forum area, in a very long time. Do remember that as well as the many hundreds of members that avidly look for an idea of what the models are ACTUALLY showing rather than If this If that happened then this MIGHT happen, there are many more visitors looking for a reasonable idea on what the models are showing. No toys out of prams, simply a place where everyone can read interpretations of the charts from those invited.

I agree. Be great to have a thread that isnt biased to cold or warm just what is happening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Would that not run the same risk of being considered elitist? Anyway, it would take effort and we're bone idle.

But every poster has a chance. If somebody posts a good post then it gives it the chance of being highlighted. Would encourage more thoughtful posting maybe?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Seems a bit too elitist for my liking ,but hey if thats what people want then so be it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

I'd just like Roger to have his own thread :D Forget the others :p

Seriously, Roger is one of my favourite posters and I have learned a lot from him over the past couple of years.

But overall, a great idea for a thread. I love reading 'expert' opinion and would like to be able to do so without filtering out 'bickering' etc...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

If Carlsberg did Model Output Threads......

Posted

I'd just like Roger to have his own thread :D Forget the others :p

Seriously, Roger is one of my favourite posters and I have learned a lot from him over the past couple of years.

But overall, a great idea for a thread. I love reading 'expert' opinion and would like to be able to do so without filtering out 'bickering' etc...

I hope Roger does post on this thread and I think it is a great idea to have the cream all in one place so to speak.

Posted

I'm sure Roger will contribute as much as the others, but might be at slightly different times! Roger did hint he might take a look at the North American models which could prove of interest....apparently. Don't understand any of this myself.

Posted

For me a great idea, certainly worth a trial, but as this thread show's, you can't please all the people all the time!

Posted

Great idea, I'm sure this will be a success. Congrats to all the NW team who continue to strive to make this site even better.

Posted

As an additional thread this idea works for me, because when I have read the model discussion thread of late, I have just ended up totally confused.

Cut out all the extraneous stuff and get down to the bare bones. The model discussion thread will still be there for those who want to pore over and dissect every little nuance of the models, but those of us who just want a quick briefing are also catered for, even if there are still different interpretations of what is being shown.

The idea gets a :good: from me! (FWIW :pardon: )

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

I see you have a gatecrasher at the elite party. A Bluearmy has started posting and he doesn't appear on the guest list.

It's all very weird - you have two parallel threads now, discussing the same thing. A them and an us. It's very irritating having to flit back and forth between the two. It seems to have been a knee-jerk reaction to a busy period on the original thread though our exceptional December, but now we have a less exceptional period of weather, the parallel thread seems superfluous.

Posted

I see you have a gatecrasher at the elite party. A Bluearmy has started posting and he doesn't appear on the guest list.

It's all very weird - you have two parallel threads now, discussing the same thing. A them and an us. It's very irritating having to flit back and forth between the two. It seems to have been a knee-jerk reaction to a busy period on the original thread though our exceptional December, but now we have a less exceptional period of weather, the parallel thread seems superfluous.

my view is that this extra thread will only work if any posts to it are copied across at the same time to the normal model thread. whether that is technically possible - no idea. btw, i was invited but just missed off the list by OON.

Posted

We're not going to be able to please everyone all the time, and I promise you this isn't a knee jerk reaction to anything. It's an idea that's been floating about for many years and I for one think it will add something for many, but not all, members. As I've said, if it doesn't work, it won't become permanent but we're going to give it a go.

As for the copying of posts, I agree that would be good, but I simply don't think it's possible. If the contributors are so inclined, then it would be great if they copied their posts over. Perhaps it could be arranged that every evening, someone manually does it....we'll see.

And finally, new people may appear in the thread, and over time, some may drop out. It's not a reward for the best members, and shouldn't be looked on as such, it's simply intended to be a resource for people who don't use the model discussion thread. From what I've seen over the course of the first evening, and bearing in mind the rather unexceptional weather at the moment, I can't say I noticed an impact on the existing thread, but we will keep an eye on it....of course.

Posted

my view is that this extra thread will only work if any posts to it are copied across at the same time to the normal model thread. whether that is technically possible - no idea. btw, i was invited but just missed off the list by OON.

Well from the little I know about the software that runs these forums, that would be technically very difficult. Would rely on you all copying and pasting everything and I can't see that happening.

I really just don't like the 'feel' of it. Netweather provide two main 'services' as I see it. A weather forecasting service that keeps visitors to the site up to date on what they should expect short-term and long-term (seasonal forecasts) and then separately a forum for people to discuss the weather in all its forms. But now there is this hybrid where you can watch some members discussing matters, but can not comment, without going into a second-class area. I've always hated scenarios when certain people are treated second best to others, particularly when it is the ones that shout loudest that win over those that prefer to stay a bit quieter. If you look at the posts that some of the elite members have been posting over the last week about amazing easterlies from mid-January, it really shows that they know little more than those of us who prefer to be a little more circumspect

I think I'm should give it a miss for a while, as I can see it will start to irritate me quite quickly

Posted

Ah, but they're not an "elite" and were never intended to be considered as such. They're a cross section contributors intended to give a balance of views.

I get the feeling you're not going to change your opinion on this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

I think this is a very welcome development. Speaking as someone who was on the point of giving up reading the model thread due to the sheer amount of white noise being generated in it, it will be a pleasure to read this new thread and I look forward to seeing how both threads evolve. I would also like to see the technical thread being retained as it is a valuable source of information on the longer term trends and teleconnections.

Hopefully, this new thread will better inform the posters in the original model thread and create an environment whereby new and/or less experienced members feel that they can post in the model thread without the risk of being torn apart by some of the posters in there. In general terms, this winter, there have been many occasions when the model thread could have used an emergency transfusion of better humour. Perhaps it will now be a little less febrile (well, a chap can dream...).

Finally, a nod of thanks to the Mods: there are many of us reading who greatly appreciate the time and trouble you take to keep the threads running smoothly, especially during the winter months. If you ever get fed up moderating, I'm sure you could take a break by going to work as a Blue Beret for the UN! :D

Cheers,

PG

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Ah, but they're not an "elite" and were never intended to be considered as such. They're a cross section contributors intended to give a balance of views.

I get the feeling you're not going to change your opinion on this!

Yes, I don't consider myself as elitist, but was more than happy to contribute when asked. But I would still welcome the thread if I wasn't asked.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

People can call it the big boys club, elite club...... At the end of the day, the people that have been hand picked for the new thread are the most experianced here an Net Weather. I get the feeling there are some people a tad gealous, but at the end of the day i think its a fantastic idea. And i personaly think the few picked for the new thread deserve a little bit of recognition. Im all for it, very good idea, :good: