Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Slightly Less Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Cookie

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

dont take it personnal.iv'e had hundreds deleted,all depends who is modding regards deletions.

whats still up in the hills?

Just stuck my head outside. It's not been raining here for the last hour and a half. But can hear the brooks roaring and the wind is whirling through the trees.

Not finished with the wet though according to the Beeb forecast.

Posted

Hi all hope you don't mind me popping in been watching this event most of the day and it seems to be pepping up again just north of Carlisle going off radar.. Looks like there is still a lot more to come also I hope flooding isn't going to be to much of a problem up there.. :wacko:

few more flood warnings have gone up on the environment agency site

River Eden at Carlisle, Rickerby Park, Swifts and Stoneyholme Golf Courses
River Lune at Skerton Pool
River Eden at Bolton

http://www.environme...rthwest&from=fl

Z

Edited by Zephyr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

sounds like a whiled night up in cumbria tonight. I'd say it has been quite a pleasant warm mostly dry breezy day today. Spring? I don't think so some how

Posted

Hi all hope you don't mind me popping in been watching this event most of the day and it seems to be pepping up again just north of Carlisle going off radar.. Looks like there is still a lot more to come also I hope flooding isn't going to be to much of a problem up there.. :wacko:

Z

No problem and welcome to the thread, currently heavy rain and strong winds, my street is like a river drains cant cope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Meto have just updated their website. New flash severe warning for Cumbria and Lancs for heavy rain tonight into tomorrow morning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html

Rain wise it really hasn't been that bad here. We've been lucky. It has however been fairly windy.

Z

Not at all, the more the merrier. :gathering:

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted

The rain continues to fall in fits and bursts, light rain quickly becoming heavy for a time then turning lighter again. Looking at the radar another pulse of very heavy rain looks like developing in the coming hours peaking in the middle of the night around 3am and slowly easing before clearing around dawn or just after. Easily another couple of inches could fall on the higher ground.

As others have stated it won't be until tomorrow afternoon when we see river levels peak. It is quite worrying as many are not far off breaking there banks in places and I am expecting lots of flood warnings tomorrow morning. Already some main roads in these parts are affected by flooding namely the A6 north and south of Kendal.

I am expecting some localised flooding in Kendal centre tomorrow and Burneside and around bowness bay, nothing on the scale of Nov 19th 2009.

Thank goodness such a wet spell didn't come on the back of the freeze, with all the lying snow and frozen ground, conditions would have been awful with the rain just running off all surfaces and with added snow melt I fully believe things would have been worse than Nov 19th 2009. Alas the milder spell of recent days has helped immensely to prevent this event from being another disaster in Cumbria.

Edited by damianslaw

just the latest on the rivers in the carlisle area, the eden at sheepmount has rose almost half a metre in the last hour not good news and the petrill is continuing to rise however the caldew is dropping but it should rise again during the night as with all rivers and a new flash warning saying another 3 inches on high ground is not good news

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lol. It's been dry here today. No rain at all apart from a small burst of light rain this morning.

Strange.

Posted

LOL the caldew is a very funny river, it can rise dead fast and drop fast to. Indeed the flash warning is bad news for cumbria.

Carlisle where do you get the river levels from.

Edited by Thunder Snow

LOL the caldew is a very funny river, it can rise dead fast and drop fast to. Indeed the flash warning is bad news for cumbria.

Carlisle where do you get the river levels from.

just from the enviroment agency the link is a page or so back, do you think there will be some severe flood warnings tommorow?

Posted

Even when the heavy rain stops here, it looks like it will sit over the eden catchment for sometime tomorrow.

Looking at the radar the rain is turning heavy again, and the winds are blowing a gale now.

Flood warning on just about all the Eden now, plus where the caldew meets the eden.

just from the enviroment agency the link is a page or so back, do you think there will be some severe flood warnings tommorow?

There could well be, even if the rain stops here tomorrow it will still be falling over the eden catchment.

Plus if you look at my other post, just about all of the eden is on a flood warning now, including the area where all three rivers meet.

Caldew stable and falling

Pettril Steady

Eden Rising

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted

Last post from me tonight. Well we are experiencing a bit of a respite from the rain at present, the past couple of hours have been mainly dry.

However, the heavy rain over SW Scotland and rainfall building over the Irish Sea will combine and quickly head our way in the next hour or so.

I am fairly confident we will be spared any troublesome flooding, but will have to wait and see come the morning.

As for elsewhere in Cumbria, it does appear the Eden catchment area is suffering worse, places like Appleby do look likely to be worst hit.

Posted

Well just after Meto updated its weather warning the rain died down retreating back up to Scotland. Only in the last few hours has heavy rain started again.

River levels on the way down.

Still, impressive rainfall in parts of Cumbria esp SE.

Posted

i dont like this slightly less cold spell discussion it feels wrong...................bring on the cold

Positive AMO and NAO, along with blocking over northern and central Canada is not going to help us in the slightest.

North America, Siberia and Eastern Asia is where the cold pools of air are residing. La Nina doesn't look as if it's

going to let up any time soon. It looks like it's just really got going in North America, which says to me there is a delay

in effect.

I would bet that those who had 1C and below during December will keep the same trend of mildness, broken only by

a few minor cold spells. Certainly nothing like December by any stretch. The places to be watching will likely be southern

European countries, such as Spain, Southern France and Italy. Where I would expect it to get very cold and snowy past

the 20th of January.

Still it looks like what we have now is going to continue in the near future certainly into February..along with Feb being on

the mild side too..as for March? who knows but I also bet that is mild too.

Posted

Very wet in Bowland this morning after a dry night. Currently we are stuck under a lingering patch of heavy rain according to radar. Hope it shifts soon.

So far this wet weekend has produced 31.2mm. Nothing unusual and certainly not as much as places in the Lune, Kent and Eden catchments. Relative living betewwen Windermere and Kendal has had 74.7mm in the same period.

Family tradition here is that a big rain in winter is followed by cold.

Posted

Raining as heavy as it has been all weekend here. The rain bands obviously on the move south, but it's taking it time and seems to be pepping up on the way.

as far as i can tell now for carlisle the petrell and caldew arent a threat anymore however the eden has been slowly rising this morning but it has started to steady out now according to the enviroment agency however very heavy rain has been falling on the source of the eden and will continue for a hour or so so i think the eden will rise again in the next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Positive AMO and NAO, along with blocking over northern and central Canada is not going to help us in the slightest.

North America, Siberia and Eastern Asia is where the cold pools of air are residing. La Nina doesn't look as if it's

going to let up any time soon. It looks like it's just really got going in North America, which says to me there is a delay

in effect.

I would bet that those who had 1C and below during December will keep the same trend of mildness, broken only by

a few minor cold spells. Certainly nothing like December by any stretch. The places to be watching will likely be southern

European countries, such as Spain, Southern France and Italy. Where I would expect it to get very cold and snowy past

the 20th of January.

Still it looks like what we have now is going to continue in the near future certainly into February..along with Feb being on

the mild side too..as for March? who knows but I also bet that is mild too.

Sorry but the models are flipping all over the place at T100 hours. So please don't post crap about February and March, you're not going to be right, nor is anyone else.