Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daily Pics 090504

Guest ChaserUK

Guest ChaserUK

Please forgive the download times of this page. The pics are high quality and they are worth the wait.

The first is when I parked outside the Holiday Inn on I90 when I got free Wi-Fi access. Amazing cloud formations.

TORNADIC%20SUPERCELL%20001.jpg

Newly developing storm on the cold front near Sioux City - this was our target storm.

TORNADIC%20SUPERCELL%20004.jpg

Mammatus from the underneath of the anvil on our storm. NOTE the possible small funnel in the distance associated with other storms developing along the cold front.

TORNADIC%20SUPERCELL%20006.jpg

Mesocyclone with small funnel cloud type appearance and lightning. We are in Elk Point at this time.

TORNADIC%20SUPERCELL%20021.jpg

There was NO way I was getting out of the car. I have never seen so much lightning in 5 years of chasing - this was a spectacular site - words cannot describe the amount of lightning. Most was CC however but the sky was ALIVE.

TORNADIC%20SUPERCELL%20032.jpg

BANG - the sky, the land was bright with lightning. I just wish you could be there to see it. The lightning was totally constant by now, a second did not go by without lightning.

TORNADIC%20SUPERCELL%20044.jpg

My fav pic of the day. We were underneath I29 at the time with other people. These storms were producing golf ball sized hail. Tomorrow the severe weather increases.........

TORNADIC%20SUPERCELL%20049small.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Nothing short of amazing. They put the "shower chasing" in the UK into perspective.

Even during my holidays in continental Europe, although I have seen clouds like in the first three pictures (and have also done so in Lancaster since I came here), I've never seen a storm as severe as that once it came over. Even the 3 August 1994 and 10 August 2003 storms were nothing compared to that!

Posted

Fantastic pictures Chaser well done. To think how innocently it started out, and then it developed quickly into something very angry indeed. I can't imagine a storm where there's lightning every other second, over here, you have to wait minutes between flashes and then the odd rumble or two. Keep up the good chasing. :D

Posted

WOW :shock: Fantastic pics Chaser, Thanks. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

wow amazing pictures Matt. Wish i was there!

Posted

Fantastic piccies Matt, it's surely only a matter of when not if you track a Meso that produces a Tornado!!

Paul Sherman