Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Spring Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

-6c here.

Third night of severe frost.

Posted

-6c here.

Third night of severe frost.

Yes pretty cold wonder why no met warnings out again side roads lethal.

Posted

If the absence of snow, this current weather week has been spot on. :D

The reports I have had have not been spot on. Temperatures on sites have been on average minus -2 degrees less than that of the reports have been receiving. Forecasting and ground surface temperatures have been all wrong and cost me £1000's.

Posted

8th and 9th of February is a weird date always snow around about that time (not ever year granted however a good fair few. Similary the 1st of March never seems to be overly mild and either snowy or frosty. Another date that always crops up is around the 23rd of November around there also. Weird

Yes adam march the 1 another good one funny enough early march is our best month for snow.

With no stats to back up what I'm about to say - it seems to me that the worst(or best depending how you look at these things) month for snow - at least in accumalation terms has been February - however the last two years seems to see December being the prime month for snow lovers. Maybe this is to do with the drift South of the Gulf stream or maybe its just my memory's not so good. Looks like January is not going to deliver this year and obviously Feb an unknown and still to come so could this be the shape of things to come or is it just a random anomaly.cc_confused.gif

Posted

The whole uk does not want snow all the time in winter.

I understand the sentiment. but to be fair, stating your opinion as what 60 million people on an island want is rather grating.

Like the UK state thinks it always knows whats best :wallbash::crazy:

Edited by Penderyn

Posted

8th and 9th of February is a weird date always snow around about that time (not ever year granted however a good fair few. Similary the 1st of March never seems to be overly mild and either snowy or frosty. Another date that always crops up is around the 23rd of November around there also. Weird

Yes adam march the 1 another good one funny enough early march is our best month for snow.

With no stats to back up what I'm about to say - it seems to me that the worst(or best depending how you look at these things) month for snow - at least in accumalation terms has been February - however the last two years seems to see December being the prime month for snow lovers. Maybe this is to do with the drift South of the Gulf stream or maybe its just my memory's not so good. Looks like January is not going to deliver this year and obviously Feb an unknown and still to come so could this be the shape of things to come or is it just a random anomaly.cc_confused.gif

Disagree completely Febrauary has generally been the snowiest month in Wales during the 200s compared to any other months. January has actually been the month (apart from the last two years) thats been the snowy one. For example there was only 5 days of snow in february here last yera compared to 22 in january. So the argument that february has been snowier in the last two years isn't true.

Let me go through some good snow events for feb for Wales since 2000

26th of feb 2001 - 24cm of snow here (deepest of the winter)

2nd of feb 2003 3 inches of snow (wasnt the most of the winter)

9th feb 2004 - 4 inches of snow above 100m in Wales

22nd - 29th of feb 2004 - frequent snow showers left a good 16cm covering with an average cover of 3/4 inches persiting during the period and freeze thaw cycles(most of the winter)

19th Feb - 22nd Feb 2005 - Frequent moderate sometimes heavy showers left Western and Northern Wales under a blanket of snow.

27th of feb 2005 - Snow fell in Wales all be it moderate

9th february 2006 - frequent snow showers from an irish dangler left some good coverings for them to thaw slightly during daylight hours.

20th of feb 2006 - Snow showers across most of Wales but ony amounting to 2-5cm at best.

26th-28th feb 2006 - constant wintry showers and a relative snow cover of 4 inches during this time

8th-10cm february 2007 - Heavy snow across most of Wales giving some 25cm in places especially on the friday

Around 5th feb 2008 - Wintry showers didnt amount to much at all.

Between the 1st of feb and the 8th 2009 Wales had constant heavy snow showers leading to some significant snow accumilations as much as 23cm here.

Snow moved in on the 8th but turned to rain by the 9th.

Snow spread from North Wales on the 13th and Wales was covered in around 15cm of snow 2009.

Snow showers during the first few days left us with a few moderate coverings in 2010 namely around 1-7th.

Snow again wasnt far away on the 8th of feb although i don't recall it snowing here.

(February is by far the snowiest month in Wales IMO)

Also a bone chiling -11 this morning at half six!! its now -4 and the frost is lifting in the glorious sun. Ground has remained frozen since monday.

Nice one jackone 1991 a belter beast from the east 12incs of snow lol.

I remember that one, heavy snow on the Thursday, meant a day of college. 6-8 inches of here snow that time. :D

The reports I have had have not been spot on. Temperatures on sites have been on average minus -2 degrees less than that of the reports have been receiving. Forecasting and ground surface temperatures have been all wrong and cost me £1000's.

I said the weather has been spot on, in that it has been nice, nothing at all to do with forecasting.

As for the Snowiest month. February has been the snowiest over the past decade here, however the snowy Jan 2010 and Dec 2010, mean both months are catching up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Meto have less cold over the next 5 days in cardiff with rain on wednesday during the day.

Posted

I remember that one, heavy snow on the Thursday, meant a day of college. 6-8 inches of here snow that time. :D

I said the weather has been spot on, in that it has been nice, nothing at all to do with forecasting.

As for the Snowiest month. February has been the snowiest over the past decade here, however the snowy Jan 2010 and Dec 2010, mean both months are catching up.

Snow Streamer - How has the temperatures (both air and ground surface temperaures) forecast been so wrong? I have calculated and lost around £2300.00 this week.......purely on the forecasting temperatures being wrong with different trigger temperatures for each site I attend. Dont know whether you will be able to shed any light?

Snow Streamer - How has the temperatures (both air and ground surface temperaures) forecast been so wrong? I have calculated and lost around £2300.00 this week.......purely on the forecasting temperatures being wrong with different trigger temperatures for each site I attend. Dont know whether you will be able to shed any light?

Have forwarded this point onwards.

Posted

Have forwarded this point onwards.

Yes the met seems to not mentioned how cold its been this week ,saying that dont think we get a frost tonight to cloudy.

Posted

OOO yes FEB 8th AND 9TH.

1985 OUTSTANDING BLIZZARDS.

Feb 1986 only snow level above 150metres

1987 mild

1988 gave on the 9th an atlantic snowstorm high ground.

1989 mild

1990 mild

1991 7inches some drifting.

1992 Above averge temps.

1993 similar to 92

1994 Average a few drifts.

1995 Some light snow.

1996 Some drifting snow on the 8th/thaw 9th

1997 Above ave temps

1998 Mild

1999 Some snow a covering.

2000 Mild/gales.

2001 Below ave temps

2002 Mild

2003 Above ave temps

2004 Nothing of note

2005 Mild

2006 Similar to 2004

2007 3inches 8th drifting east wind/9th 11inches

2008 Very mild

2009 Snowcover and slight drifting 8th

2010 Dusting of snowgrains E/NE

Posted

OOO yes FEB 8th AND 9TH.

1985 OUTSTANDING BLIZZARDS.

Feb 1986 only snow level above 150metres

1987 mild

1988 gave on the 9th an atlantic snowstorm high ground.

1989 mild

1990 mild

1991 7inches some drifting.

1992 Above averge temps.

1993 similar to 92

1994 Average a few drifts.

1995 Some light snow.

1996 Some drifting snow on the 8th/thaw 9th

1997 Above ave temps

1998 Mild

1999 Some snow a covering.

2000 Mild/gales.

2001 Below ave temps

2002 Mild

2003 Above ave temps

2004 Nothing of note

2005 Mild

2006 Similar to 2004

2007 3inches 8th drifting east wind/9th 11inches

2008 Very mild

2009 Snowcover and slight drifting 8th

2010 Dusting of snowgrains E/NE

So out of the last 24 years 13 years of them has had some kind of snow around the 8th and 9th? That's is rather systematic if say you where to compare it to the 4th of January every year. Certainly proves a point.

Posted

So out of the last 24 years 13 years of them has had some kind of snow around the 8th and 9th? That's is rather systematic if say you where to compare it to the 4th of January every year. Certainly proves a point.

Still around a 50/50 toss of the coin odds mind you - although winters have upped the anti recently so things may just roll over further into our favour. So far the models are still loving this high pressure but possible slow changes over the coming week could result in a more active winter scenario. We shall see. Loving the retro snow dates thing though - certainly fills in the time while we watch winter slowly move towards spring.

Hope hope hope hope!

edit:- frost finally lifted outside today after some spots had it constantly for three days or so - but tonight the clear skies and freezing temps are back again!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I`ll have a look at Jan 8th and 9th now,I find this interesting looking back at dates. :rolleyes:

1985 Cold thick snowcover.

1986 This did produce snow looking at the charts,but back to rain.

1987 Cold and dry.

1988 Getting milder.

1989 Exceptionally mild.

1990 Getting very mild.

1991 On the cold side with 3inches on the 8th.

1992 Wet snow cover on 9th

1993 Average temps overall frosts

1994 Similar

1995 Cold with some light snow

1996 Mild

1997 Cold with drifting snow.

1998 Very mild

1999 Quite cold but dry.

2000 Average

2001 Dry chilly

2002 Quite cold just 1 snow drift left 9th

2003 Very cold previous night 8th cover of snow/NE wind.

2004 Tyical atlantic polar west flow wintry shower 8th.

2005 Flakes of snow fell 8th but overall it turned mild.

2006 Covering of an inch snow on 8th

2007 Very mild windy.

2008 some snow from the colder atlantic.

2009 Cold with some patchy snowcover.

2010 Bitterly cold thickest snower on this date here since 1982 exceptional blizzards(8th + 9th are popular dates)

2011 Average temps.

2nd half of Jan is less cold + snowy to the first half I`ve found.

February snowfalls can be the most exciting.

Posted

Disagree completely Febrauary has generally been the snowiest month in Wales during the 200s compared to any other months. January has actually been the month (apart from the last two years) thats been the snowy one. For example there was only 5 days of snow in february here last yera compared to 22 in january. So the argument that february has been snowier in the last two years isn't true.

Let me go through some good snow events for feb for Wales since 2000

26th of feb 2001 - 24cm of snow here (deepest of the winter)

2nd of feb 2003 3 inches of snow (wasnt the most of the winter)

9th feb 2004 - 4 inches of snow above 100m in Wales

22nd - 29th of feb 2004 - frequent snow showers left a good 16cm covering with an average cover of 3/4 inches persiting during the period and freeze thaw cycles(most of the winter)

19th Feb - 22nd Feb 2005 - Frequent moderate sometimes heavy showers left Western and Northern Wales under a blanket of snow.

27th of feb 2005 - Snow fell in Wales all be it moderate

9th february 2006 - frequent snow showers from an irish dangler left some good coverings for them to thaw slightly during daylight hours.

20th of feb 2006 - Snow showers across most of Wales but ony amounting to 2-5cm at best.

26th-28th feb 2006 - constant wintry showers and a relative snow cover of 4 inches during this time

8th-10cm february 2007 - Heavy snow across most of Wales giving some 25cm in places especially on the friday

Around 5th feb 2008 - Wintry showers didnt amount to much at all.

Between the 1st of feb and the 8th 2009 Wales had constant heavy snow showers leading to some significant snow accumilations as much as 23cm here.

Snow moved in on the 8th but turned to rain by the 9th.

Snow spread from North Wales on the 13th and Wales was covered in around 15cm of snow 2009.

Snow showers during the first few days left us with a few moderate coverings in 2010 namely around 1-7th.

Snow again wasnt far away on the 8th of feb although i don't recall it snowing here.

(February is by far the snowiest month in Wales IMO)

Also a bone chiling -11 this morning at half six!! its now -4 and the frost is lifting in the glorious sun. Ground has remained frozen since monday.

Not quite sure what your disagreeing with here Adam - thanks for the stats though very interesting - pretty much backs up what I thought notionally about Feb being the snowiest month of winter but this December just gone was exceptional by anyones standards and perhaps I'm jaundiced in my view of last years December as I had the trauma of getting my daughter home from Spain when easy jet just decided not to fly anyone home until after Christmas. Got my weather station shooting out facts and figures for January now aswel so eventually in years to come should be able to make my own conclusions on such matters but thanks for the reply anyway - very interesting. drunk.gif

Posted

UPDATE:- GFS 18z - high further west and over wednesday and thursday and into friday this week the easterly will be much more marked with a much stronger colder flow - it will feel bitter

Posted

In response to AdamJones comment above Wales version of CET being cold this month.

This well respected site suggest that Temps are very slightly below average so far in Wales this January, with Rain and Sun also above average.

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

Excellent website.

Colder, wetter & sunnier that average. That's a strange mix

Posted

Excellent website.

Colder, wetter & sunnier that average. That's a strange mix

We had masses of rain the the first half of the month - if it doesn't rain again this month I would wager it will still be above average.

Edited by A_T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

BORING BORING BORING weather :wallbash:

Looks like a week and more of nothing interesting whatsoever. If it rains we get a bit of excitiement with potential flooding, if it's hot get the bbq out, if it's cold take care out there, if it''s snowy get the sledge out of the shed. If there is no weather at all .........

Don't know really. Straw-clutching seems to have been promoted to am olympic sport on the model thread. Maybe we've been spoiled over the last few years and want constant entertainment from the weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

A bit off topic but as there is nothing much happening - Just read about the 3.5-magnitude quake struck in Glenuig, in the west of Scotland! How come we don't really get any in south wales??

Its been rather boring the last few days, today has also been alot warmer!

Posted

We do have earthquakes in S Wales and had one a few years ago if I remember - can't remember the details but the wife quite regularly tells the tale of me running around the house in my underpants with a baseball bat in the dark as it woke us up and I thought we had someone breaking and entering - I'll do a bit of googling and get some details

Here you go

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/06/08/south-wales-hit-by-biggest-earthquake-in-three-decades-91466-23812619/