Cold?
IGNORED

Australian Weather

SAB

Posted

From storms to snow!

Low level snow in Tasmania, first for the year

Posted Image

Snow settled to the 200m/ 650ft level early Sunday, giving a light cover of snow to the hillier suburbs of Hobart.

Snow at this level will usually occur once every 2 or 3 years - the last occasion was July 2009.

Around 20cm ( two thirds of a foot ) settled on the mountain range behind the city.

Temperatures however recovered from a low of 1.9 in the city ( 4 below average ), to a maximum of 11 during the day ( 3 below).

• Like 1

Posted

Hey NorthNSW, how did the storm season fare for you during the height of El Nino? And do afternoon seabreeses influence the development of storm cells, much there?

Here's some shocking news for you: I have never witnessed hail fall during a thunderstorm in Hobart! Sometimes a big light and sound show, but no hail.

Posted

Hey there Styx. Posted Image It does vary between individual El Ninos. A strong El Nino can bring a reduction in the number of storms, however some of the most severe storm outbreaks have occurred during these years. I find neutral conditions or a weak El Nino the best for storms throughout the season (a balance between quality and quantity). La Nina is good for spring storms, but summer activity tends to be almost non-existent.

The coastal NE'ly seabreezes can enhance convective activity inland toward the ranges as the 'seabreeze front' slowly moves westward in the afternoon, and it can help when lower level moisture is lacking away from the coast. However in storm setups, I prefer to see NE'ly winds at the surface and near-surface over a wide area blowing into an approaching trough (I suppose more of a NE'ly 'feed' rather than a comparitively shallow NE'ly seabreeze).

Hopefully Brisbane gets a little drop of rain Bob. Some storms have developed over the Darling Downs, and they do have the potential to continue moving ESE towards Brisbane this evening.

~~~

Summary here for the past week (Date/Min/Max/24hrRainfall):

Aug 23rd - 14.8ºC/21.9ºC - Nil

Aug 24th - 16.3ºC/24.2ºC - Nil

Aug 25th - 13.5ºC/23.0ºC - Nil

Aug 26th - 14.0ºC/20.2ºC - Nil

Aug 27th - 10.9ºC/20.6ºC - Nil

Aug 28th - 12.3ºC/21.8ºC - Nil

Aug 29th - 12.3ºC/20.8ºC - Nil

Past week:

Mild to warm week overall. It was another dry week. Most of the storms died before reaching the coast on the 23rd/24th (it wasn't well-timed for coastal parts with the trough moving through in the early hours of the 24th). An upper level trough on the 27th, brought localised morning thunderstorms to the north near the state border. Otherwise, an area of high pressure was the dominant synoptic feature. Nice days though still a smoky haze hanging around (photo taken from near the lighthouse on the 23rd):

Posted Image

The upcoming week (Aug 30th to Sep 5th):

A fair amount of high cloud about today courtesy of a trough over the region. The high cloud killed any storm potential here though (still hope for places further north along the coast, where there was/is far less high cloud). An area of high pressure is expected to bring fine and dry conditions all week. Mild temperatures expected at first, though it should warm up as the week progresses.

At this stage on the extended outlook, there's no real sign of the subtropical ridge breaking down in the next fortnight. Consistent mild to warm, fine, and generally sunny days are nice but it's starting to get a bit boring. Might start going a bit "cray-cray" soon, lol. Posted Image

The month of September:

The first month of Spring brings mild to occasionally warm days. The nights are usually cool to mild. Maximum temps average 21.8ºC, and minimum temps average 13.4ºC. For September, the record high max is 35.6ºC (27/09/1965) and the record low min is 4.4ºC (05/09/1971). The odd wintry day or cold night can still occur, though usually earlier in the month.

On average, September is the driest month of the year here by a fair margin. The average rainfall for September is 56.6mm. Dry spells can occur and bring a very dry month. Heavy rain events are not common, or if heavy rain occurs it is rarely prolonged.

You would normally expect a couple of thunderstorms to pass over during the month. Most storms in September, are probably best described as being of the 'garden variety', e.g. they will contain some rumbles, moderate rain, and a bit of a breeze. The main inhibitor to storm activity in September is the subtropical ridge and lack of reliable moisture.

Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

Alice Springs (Northern Territory) is currently experiencing its longest dry spell in 40 years.

Alice Springs trudges through longest dry spell in at least 40 years - by Meera Vijayan

Alice Springs has just recorded its driest spell in at least 40 years with not a drop of rain in the town’s rain gauge in over four months.

This has also been Alice Spring’s driest winter period in a decade, a rare occurrence that has only happened once before in 71 years of records. Winter is typically the driest time of the year in Alice Springs, with the rainfall in the town averaging around June (13.8mm), July (15.0mm) and August (9.3mm). However, even by those standards, it has been exceptionally dry, with the town failing to record a single drop over the winter months. The only other time such a dry winter has been recorded was in 2002. What makes it even more significant is that through the entire month of May, Alice Springs received no rainfall as well. The average rainfall for May is 18.5mm. The last time rainfall was recorded in the town’s gauge was April 24 when Alice Springs picked up 4mm and that was 127 days ago.

However, back in 1972, there was an even longer dry spell in Alice Springs when no rainfall was recorded between March 7 and 31 July, a stretch of 147 days.

The driest month of the year in Alice Springs is September with an average of just 8.5mm while the wettest is February, which averages 44.3mm. Last February, Alice Springs managed to receive average rainfall, with 44.4mm, however conditions have dried out partly due to emerging El Niño conditions as well as the Indian Ocean Dipole entering a positive phase. “Both these sea surface temperature patterns are normally associated with reduced rainfall across the area for winter and spring,†says Dick Whitaker, Chief Meteorologist at The Weather Channel.

Linky-poo: http://www.weatherch...y-spell-in.aspx

August 2012 Rainfall Decile Map:

Posted Image

Places around the Grafton area, around 125-150kms to my north, recorded no rain during August. The strongest deficiencies were centred around the 30th parallel, indicative of the subtropical ridge's persistence this month.

Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

Record low September temperature in Canberra

-6.8C this morning, eclipsing the previous record for September by 0.4 degrees, set on the 10th in 1982.

Records from said site began in 1939.

It followed a cold afternoon yesterday with snow showers across the Canberra region.

( Cheers for storm answer NthNSW, always interesting )

Edited by Styx

Posted

No problem Styx. When did the last thunderstorm occur in Hobart?

Yep a cold night across the whole state, with some record September lows recorded (including Canberra and Goulburn). We had a minimum of 7.5ºC here, which was our coldest September night in 17 years. Sydney also had their coldest September night in 17 years. My brother in Goulburn reported snow falling for a short period of time late yesterday afternoon. I think this quick burst of cold weather caught the Bureau by surprise.

Spring will find her way back though from Monday. Posted Image

Posted

For those interested:

Here's a link to a live cam at South West Rocks (run by the NSW Govt Transport & Maritime). It is not the best quality camera, rather low quality. It's primary purpose is to show conditions at the river mouth, but it does zoom back out to give an overall view. The camera generally faces NW towards the mountain behind (Yarrahapinni, 498m ASL): http://www.maritime....hwestrocks.html

Also a link to a (relatively) high quality weather cam at Bonny Hills (with two cams, a W and NE facing one). Images are stored for 9 days and there are also a few old images stored under 'Special Images'. Bonny Hills is around 85kms SSW of here down the coast, near the city of Port Macquarie. Bonny Hills experiences fairly similar weather to here (e.g. if its raining/cloudy/sunny there, it usually is here too): http://webcams.bsch....onny_hills.html

(I've also put the links for those cams above in my signature)

Other weather cams I use for approaching weather systems and to spy on the storms in those areas when they form:

Newcastle (250kms SW of here down the coast): http://webcams.bsch..../newcastle.html

Tamworth (200kms W of here, on the western slopes of the Great Dividing Range): http://webcams.bsch....m/tamworth.html

Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

I hope most of that area in which you live NorthNSW is protected from major development, it looks absolutley beautiful there.

Re the last storm in Hobart, it would have had to be in early March I would think, and no later. Very rare to get a thunderstorm in Hobart between April and October.

Posted

I hope most of that area in which you live NorthNSW is protected from major development, it looks absolutley beautiful there.

Re the last storm in Hobart, it would have had to be in early March I would think, and no later. Very rare to get a thunderstorm in Hobart between April and October.

Thanks Styx. Outside of the main coastal centres (Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and Forster), the local councils have quite low limits on building heights. For most councils, the limit is 3 to 5 stories high. For my local council, it is 4 stories for South West Rocks and 3 stories everywhere else (including the main town of Kempsey). Most people are not keen on their place looking like a mini Gold Coast. Port Macquarie has some 8 to 9 storey apartments near the CBD, but most of them are not right on the foreshore. (I think they kind of complement the existing landscape? http://maps.google.c...110.07,,0,-4.81)

A decent swathe of the coastline in the region is National Park or Nature Reserve. For example, along the coastline between here and Port Macquarie (around 60-65kms), about 80% of it is either National Park or Nature Reserve. Most of the development these days in the region is occurring away from the foreshore (generally 1 to 3kms inland).

I'm moving to Melbourne at the end of October - really looking forward to adding my reports!! :-)

Hope the move to Australia goes well. I've never been to Melbourne before. They can get some nice storms on occasion in the summer months, and the odd 40ºC+ day for good measure. I've heard it pronounced a few ways: 'Mel-bin', 'Mel-burn' or 'Mel-born'. I say 'Mel-burn', lol. I wonder how the locals in Melbourne pronounce it? It's a bit like Canberra, you hear 'Can-bra' and 'Can-bear-ra'. I say 'Can-bra', and so do most people I hear. Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

I had forgotten all about streetview! How do you put a link to the area you want to show?

I'm moving to Melbourne at the end of October - really looking forward to adding my reports!! :-)

We hereby appoint you our Victorian state correspondent.

Melbourne is a nice city, all the suburbs have their own unique character. I travel there via the 12 hour ferry from Tasmania a few times a year. If you can tolerate the summer heat and the flies, you'll be fine!

Make sure you take the ferry to Tasmania sometime - I think you'll find it will be worth it!

Edited by Styx

Posted

I had forgotten all about streetview! How do you put a link to the area you want to show?

Worked it out.

Roaring 40's in full flight over Southern Australia

Posted Image

Minor damage across a large area of Victoria and New South Wales with localised wind gusts of 100-140km/hr ( 65-90mi/hr ), with minor scrub fires here and there.

A fatality in Victoria, where a man drove his vehicle straight into a tree that had fallen across the road.

Posted

It took me a little while to find the link when I first started using Streetview regularly, as I was looking in all the wrong places, lol.

~~~

Aug 30th - 16.0ºC/22.0ºC - Nil

Aug 31st - 12.6ºC/19.1ºC - Nil

Sep 1st - 7.5ºC/18.8ºC - Nil

Sep 2nd - 10.0ºC/21.2ºC - Nil

Sep 3rd - 12.9ºC/21.1ºC - Nil

Sep 4th - 13.5ºC/22.3ºC - Nil

Sep 5th - 14.6ºC/21.0ºC - Nil

Past week:

Another fine, dry, and mostly sunny week.

Upcoming week (Sep 6th to Sep 12th):

It is expected to remain fine, dry and generally sunny all week. Even though a weak trough is expected to form over the eastern inland during Monday and hang around through Tues and Wed, no rain is expected to fall in the local area at this stage. A Total Fire Ban is in-place for tomorrow in northeastern New South Wales districts with warm temperatures, strong winds and low humidity expected:

"The NSW Rural Fire Service has totally banned the lighting of fires for Friday 07 September for the New England, Northern Slopes, Greater Hunter, North Coast and Far North Coast."

Posted

28ºC max (rounded-off) reported from the local weather station in the 6hrs to 3pm, with other locations creeping into the low 30s. Winds gusting into the 50s and low 60s (km/h) at times this afternoon (generally in the 40s), and relative humidity has dropped down into the teens this afternoon in the region. The smell of bushfire smoke is noticable and there is a smoky haze too. I suspect it is largely coming from a very large bushfire (5,511 hectares) burning out of control in national park on the foothills of the ranges in the upper Macleay Valley to our west (it presents zero threat to private property though). There is a very small (4 hectare) but out of control fire on the outskirts of Kempsey, which the RFS has labelled as being of concern.

Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

It's been four weeks (28 days) since we last received rain here. Dry N/NW'ly winds from the interior and also high pressure systems sitting over the state have left little moisture in the atmosphere, so even when a trough or front has moved through over this dry spell, there's been insufficient moisture (particularly in the lower levels) for any rain or storms. Even when the winds have tended onshore (like at present), the SSTs are still rather cool at this time of year too, so no help there. There is the odd bit of localised light rain being forecast later this week about the north coast, but really in all likelihood, I expect the dry weather to continue for another seven, maybe eight days.

The storm season looks like getting off to a late start (similar to the drought year of 2007, when it didn't get underway until mid October!!). Despite a late start, the 2007/2008 season turned out pretty good (brought 33 thunderstorms), so perhaps it's not such a bad thing.

Been pretty windy down in Hobart / Tasmania in recent days, hope Styx hasn't been blown away! Posted Image

Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

Just a bit boistorous down here thats for sure! Hobart city clocked 107km/hr ( 66mi/hr ) on the weekend - a 13 month high - and Mount Wellington summit blew in at 156km/hr ( 97mi/hr ).

The equinox gales, so many people find a reason to complain but got to say I don't mind the mayhem and the untideness of it at all.

Records were well tied down though: Hobart has had 150km/hr ( 93mi/hr ) before, and Mount Wellington summit is the Tasmanian record holder, 200km/hr ( 124mi/hr ).

The highest wind gust I have lived thru since teen years in Hobart is 139km/hr, in August 1991.

Gazing mesmerised out the window, my eyeline was in sight of a massive gumtree in our neighbours backyard. Without any sign that it was about to be pulled down by the wind, I then witnessed the rarest events of seeing it uprooted before my very eyes, the sound of the trunk fibre splitting into chips within seconds and even the sound of the 100 year old roots being pulled from the earth, then down she came like a thunder crack. Quite an awesome experience.

Posted Image

Ready..aim..fire! Hobart at the base of Mt Wellington ( 1270m/4200ft ), viewed from a 19th century fort on eastside of river.

Edited by Styx

Posted

Good to see Tasmania now has the Graphical Severe Storm Warning maps as well. We've had them in NSW since about 2006. I guess with that new shiny doppler near Hobart they can get a proper view of rain/storms occurring over the state. Posted Image

Sep 6th - 16.2ºC/26.0ºC - Nil

Sep 7th - 18.0ºC/28.0ºC - Nil

Sep 8th - 12.5ºC/24.0ºC - Nil

Sep 9th - 12.0ºC/22.5ºC - Nil

Sep 10th - 13.6ºC/23.3ºC - Nil

Sep 11th - 14.0ºC/22.2ºC - Nil

Sep 12th - 13.9ºC/23.3ºC - Nil

Past week:

Once again, another fine, dry and sunny week. A warm week though, with temperatures firmly into the 20s and peaking at 28ºC on the 7th. Sep 12th was our 31st consecutive day of no rain. Posted Image

Upcoming week (Sep 13th to Sep 19th):

A cold front will move through this evening. There is the possibility of a shower or a weak, decaying thunderstorm overnight near the upper trough lagging behind the cold front. The vast majority of any rain or storms will occur at sea or along the central coast of NSW though. A high will quickly scoot in behind the front and clear the skies, and move into the Tasman Sea on Sunday. A low pressure trough is expected to form over the state during Sunday. The trough will hang about the eastern parts of the state through Monday, Tuesday and possibly Wednesday. Moist air from the southern Coral Sea will feed the trough (*om nom nom nom moisture*). Some rain is expected to fall, and isolated storms are possible (though most likely in the form of thundery rain, rather than your "traditional" Sunday Roast thunderstorm).

Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

Good to see Tasmania now has the Graphical Severe Storm Warning maps as well. We've had them in NSW since about 2006. I guess with that new shiny doppler near Hobart they can get a proper view of rain/storms occurring over the state. Posted Image

The new radar is a bit of a treat! The old one never picked up incoming storms or heavy rain because of the mountain shadow.

I think the new radar though has over excited the guys at the bureau; severe thunderstorms are very rare here at anytime of the year,let alone in September! I have no idea what they were observing, there was no intense short duration rainfall at any location yesterday.

I thought it was amusing that they headlined the warning with " there are no longer severe thunderstorms occuring in Tasmania/Antarctica". There was a political kerfuffle a few years ago when the bureaus observations and forecasts for Tasmania and Antarctica were cojoined together under a soleTasmania/Antarctica weblink. Some politicians thought it would prevent tourists from coming to Tasmania, due to the perception it was closer to Antarctica than it really is, so the 2 regions were divided.

They need to change that graphical severe storm warning map!

P.S By the way, what is the record longest dry spell where you are? Getting close? I love observing the birds and the frogs and the like react after the first rains in a long time, a bit of a party time for them ***

Edited by Styx

Posted

P.S By the way, what is the record longest dry spell where you are? Getting close? I love observing the birds and the frogs and the like react after the first rains in a long time, a bit of a party time for them ***

A dry spell longer than 30 days (like the current one) is somewhat unusual, but there have been dry spells far longer. Since rainfall records began in 1939 here, the longest dry spell is 60 days (July 12th 1991 to September 9th 1991), and back last decade we had a 57 day dry spell between June 20th 2002 and August 15th 2002. Most of the long dry spells here occur in July, August and/or September, when that subtropical ridge is around this latitude and in some years can get quite stubborn.

Posted

The dry spell has come to an end, with a little t'storm and a shower this evening bringing 0.6mm (it was fast-moving and also pretty much virga due to very dry air in the lower levels, so very little rain was recorded). Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Big dry ahead – Australian weather takes dramatic turn

Updated: 13/09/2012 at 3:59 PM

After our wettest two year period on record, Australia is now rapidly drying out thanks to a dramatic shift in ocean temperatures through the Pacific and Indian oceans.

“In July weather patterns started to shift, evident only a month later when the nation recorded its fifth driest August in 113 years of records,†says Tom Saunders, Senior Meteorologist at The Weather Channel.

“The nations dry August was not just random variability, it was due to changes in water temperatures across the Pacific and Indian oceans,†he continues.

“A positive Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) has now firmly developed off Australia's west coast. A positive IOD refers to a pattern of colder waters off the west coast of Indonesia and warmer waters off the east coast of Africa. This reduces the amount of evaporation and moisture carried from the tropical oceans into the atmosphere over Australia, and this reduction in moisture eventually reduces rainfall through the country,†says Saunders.

The affects of the abnormal ocean temperatures are already being felt.

“Coolangatta has recorded its longest dry spell on record with 48 consecutive days without rain. Alice Springs is less than a week away from recording its longest dry spell on record while Brisbane has recorded only 0.2mm of rain over the past 54 days,†Saunders continues.

“When you combine the positive IOD with an emerging El Niño we are very confident rain will be below average over most of the country through the remainder of 2012, particularly through south-eastern states.â€

“Even though we are expecting below average rain there will still be short periods of relief. In the short term, the dry spell for some parts of Australia including south-east Queensland will break with a spell of storms and showers likely next week,†he concludes.

Linky-poo: http://www.weatherch...-dramatic-.aspx

As of September 11, Alice Springs was on it's 140th consecutive day with no rain. It is looking extremely likely that the existing record of 147 days in 2002 will be broken. (http://www.news.com....9-1226471993840)

Posted

Sep 13th - 15.7ºC/27.9ºC* - 0.6mm

Sep 14th - 10.1ºC/20.0ºC - Nil

Sep 15th - 9.0ºC/22.2ºC - Nil

Sep 16th - 12.4ºC/22.0ºC - Nil

Sep 17th - 14.0ºC/22.3ºC - Nil

Sep 18th - 14.8ºC/21.6ºC - Nil

Sep 19th - 13.8ºC/24.1ºC - Nil

*Local max temp observation missing, used Coffs Harbour instead.

Past week:

Overall a mild to warm week. A high-based t'storm quickly passed through during the evening of the 13th bringing an end to a 31 day dry spell. Fairly widespread storms developed across central and northern NSW on the 17th and 18th with moist winds feeding a trough, and over 13,000 lightning strikes were recorded in northern NSW. However, we had horrible luck and were one of the very few locations that managed to miss out on a storm AND any recordable rain, lol (there was some anvil rain but not enough to register in the gauge). The trough moved off the coast during the early morning of the 19th, with drier air moving in behind it.

Storms on the 17th (Newcastle 512km composite - 10am to 10pm):

http://www.theweathe...0/2012-09-17-12

Storms on the 18th (Newcastle 512km composite - 10am to 11pm):

http://www.theweathe...0/2012-09-18-14

The next five days (Sep 20th to Sep 24th):

Today is a warm and sunny day. A trough will approach here tomorrow, bringing a mild change later as it moves through. There is the chance of a few isolated showers or storms developing about the region tomorrow, but the lack of moisture will be a problem.

Saturday and Sunday should both be dry days. Another trough will move through early Monday morning with S/SE'ly winds behind it. The trough is expected to stall to the north near the NSW/QLD border for the afternoon/evening. There could be a little light rain that afternoon, and at this stage there is also the slight chance of a storm. A ridge of high pressure is expected to move in that night.

I'm heading down on the 26th to the Southern Highlands (between Sydney and Canberra) for a wedding, and won't be back until late on the 29th. That is why this outlook period is five days instead of the usual seven days, hopefully I'll remember to post the usual summary / seven-day weather outlook on the 25th before I leave. Posted Image

Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

^ Just an adjunct to your weekly report if I may!

Posted Image

From ABC news website. Some place between Sydney and Newcastle, South NSW, early 19th September.

Edited by Styx
  • Like 2