Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Late Winter/early Spring Discussion Part 21

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Fairly pleasant day today and feeling just about mild enough after a cold start. A great difference from the Deep Shropshire. Do you guys get any sun? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Fairly pleasant day today and feeling just about mild enough after a cold start. A great difference from the Deep Shropshire. Do you guys get any sun? :lol:

yeah typical early spring day, for once no rain, today would have been miles colder in winter, late nov to mid Jan, instead of todays 8.5C max, Think I said back then our last snow would be 07th Jan

Posted

We did get a bit today, but I only know that because I was up at 7am! Had clouded over by 9 and remained so all day.

Posted

06Z not surprisingly gives spring warmth, mid to end next week GFS says 14°C, I think those temps are too low given time of year and set up, could be more like 19°C for certain areas in the east, here more like 16°C

thread definitely needs renaming, like the welsh one, spring weather discussion

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

06Z not surprisingly gives spring warmth, mid to end next week GFS says 14°C, I think those temps are too low given time of year and set up, could be more like 19°C for certain areas in the east, here more like 16°C

thread definitely needs renaming, like the welsh one, spring weather discussion

Ask me politely Mark, and I might think about it!.......lol

actually, no , it stays as a winter thread for the time being.....You've made numerous posts recently about how feb & March are rubbish for snow, and that winter ends in January.....You have forgotton 2008 & 2009 winters?......mild, zonal muck for a good chunk of winter, then heavy snow in April 2008 & Feb/March 2009....It aint over, till it's over :D

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Ask me politely Mark, and I might think about it!.......lol

actually, no , it stays as a winter thread for the time being.....You've made numerous posts recently about how feb & March are rubbish for snow, and that winter ends in January.....You have forgotton 2008 & 2009 winters?......mild, zonal muck for a good chunk of winter, then heavy snow in April 2008 & Feb/March 2009....It aint over, till it's over :D

There's always one that tries to spoil my sense of optimism that we have seen the back of the bad weather. :nonono:

Posted

I think the changing of the seasons is definitely creeping in. Earlier today I even noticed small, but noticeable buds on a plant.

Edited by IAmJohnnyDisco

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some daffodils are almost out here now. :DGFS being very stubborn with the mild/early warmth! 16c could be reached or got to very closely by Next Friday id say. :D

Posted

Daffodils are close to coming out here too, crocuses already are. If the daffs come out while still in February that's unusual for round here, and certainly I wouldn't have thought it possible after December.

I really, really thought we had seen the back of 7C+ winter months for a while... if this is going to be a typical 2010s winter then I agree Feb should be reclassified as spring.

I really, really thought we had seen the back of 7C+ winter months for a while... if this is going to be a typical 2010s winter then I agree Feb should be reclassified as spring.

Can't we just reclassify the whole of winter as spring and the whole of summer as autumn, afterall alot of people say we only have two seasons all year round really in the UK. ;)

Posted

An early Spring would be welcome...but so would a late winter!

It's not the lack of snow or cold thats borthering me...its the boredom! I was hoping that that very squally 15 minute shower last Monday would be a taste of things to come...but it's looking like that was all the excitement we'll get for now!

March 2010 to November 2010 was very dull....I hope 2011 doesn't extend it to the whole 12 months!

Posted

Lets hope not 2011 isnt boring. Im sure these last 2 months go down as the most boring winter weather wise in my time though. I do hope the GFS's 15c or so next week comes off. Would be nice to feel some good mild or even early warm weather in the sun. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Snow possible tomorrow across higher areas. Upper air not so cold but ground temps are below zero for most of the day. I think this will be limited to higher areas and the further North the better so most people will only see rain but worth a mention.

Met Office have issued advisories for this http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=2

Posted

Snow possible tomorrow across higher areas. Upper air not so cold but ground temps are below zero for most of the day. I think this will be limited to higher areas and the further North the better so most people will only see rain but worth a mention.

Met Office have issued advisories for this http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=2

They should miss out, event reminds me some what of 28th Dec 2010, meto/bbc giving loads of snow, GFS not giving it, uppers seem around 0°C, last time GFS was correct, meto/bbc overdid the snow risk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I am honestly not making this up, but just been outside and it's actually sleeting slighty. :0 (seriously). Eventho my elavation is around 100 meters. Mind you, the precipitation is more on the rainy side than the snowy side. Really surprised, though I suppose it could be because the temperature for around here was only 2.5*C when I saw the Met Office report for 1am for Coleshill. Although the air temp is cold (actually felt cold out their), would have thought that the upper air temperatures would have been a bit too warm for their to even be sleetyness in the rain. Though, will it be enough to destry the snow shield I wonder?

I admit I have my doubts. Anyway, gonna go for a snooze now, so goodnight all. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Still dark here, 2.4oC, but very wet outside, can hear the rain, looked out the back door and it's soggy everywhere. So I guess the prolonged dry or near-dry spell is over, at least here. Radar looks like it's clearing our area shortly so maybe a fine day in store? Certainly nothing sleety or snowy here at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Rain has cleared to leave us with thick fog. Might just be on the Hills but can't see for more than 20 metres! 4.3oC currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Quiet in here at the moment.

Dull miserable and cold here. Temp reached a max of 5.3. It is now slowly falling away.

Where has the clearer milder weather to our South West .... It being shown on the models and met forecasts - gone?

I ask this because I thought by this time the wind would be from the South to South East bringing in this milder air.

In fact the breeze (not enough to call it wind) is from the North East and the low and even medium level cloud are moving quickly from the North East also.

Could it be that the block is not giving up? and forcing low pressure to develop to the South

Only a suggestion at this stage, but it does look strange.

MIA

Posted

Nothing but horrible cold rain here last night and this morning; and although it's stopped it's still as grey as it's been all the last 4 days. Surprised to hear about snow to low levels in Yorkshire- send it here!

Posted

Yet another grey dreary day today, really clutching at straws here but ive noticed the milder air hasn't made inroads as much as originally forecast, and Monday's surface temps/uppers keeping getting cooler slightly on every run so maybe some hope for a bit of wintryness for a time Monday? The NAE has snow down as far as Birmingham.

Edited by conor123

Posted

going to be a horrid half term week, monday complete washout, tuesday and wedneday heavy rain, thur and fri more rain, with overnight each time being dry,

been a constant trend now on both models for high pressure to dominate last 2 days of Feb and at least first 10 days of March, will come as a relief after next weeks rain, could be very springlike as well, maybe upto 18°C for first few days of March

Posted

Yet another grey dreary day today, really clutching at straws here but ive noticed the milder air hasn't made inroads as much as originally forecast, and Monday's surface temps/uppers keeping getting cooler slightly on every run so maybe some hope for a bit of wintryness for a time Monday? The NAE has snow down as far as Birmingham.

Interesting but i suspect that will probably retreat to about Manchester Northwards. The snow area in these set ups always seems to be North from about there.

Mild weather pushed back a little but overall from about Wednesday onwards plenty of 13c+ days to come.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

What happened to the spring-like weather we were forecast this weekend? It's just plain cold and grey here, same as yesterday.

Posted

That wasnt forecast this weekend at all or hasnt been for a while now. Things will become very mild from Tuesday onwards until the weekend at least.