Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Big Cats In Britain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

black-labrador-retriever-puppy-dog-face-paws-upclose-cute.jpgblack_panther_3-1024x768.jpg

So lovely! certainly can tell the difference if you came across a panther!

Posted

Absolutely I believe in them being here, seeing I have seen 2 before within the space of a year. I'm not going to pretend I know what species they were (or even if they were a breed, or a single cat co-incidentally seen at different times.) But they are large and run like the wind when they know they've been spotted.

I think I was more afraid of it than me lol, seeing its not the type of thing you're expecting to see in the heartland of the Pennines next-door to a 7000-population town. But I can at least say now i've seen them, and wouldn't instantly dismiss out of naievety anyone else who also says they have aswell.

It was only the past couple of million years ago the UK was still attached to continental Europe, which itself holds many exotic animals from snakes, lizards, wolves, even bears in some places. You have to think the amount of deforestation and land cultivation that's gone on in the UK since the 1800's, these Big Cats will know the local hide-away's and lay of the land better than any farmer, through instinct and breed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I haven't seen a Panther or any other big cats wandering around the Somerset countryside but I did see something a few weeks back which left me wondering...

I've got quite a big garden which backs onto open countryside, last thing at night before going to bed me and the dogs have a wander around, them for a wee, me for a fag - being a bit of a night owl, it's usually about 1.30/2.00. As there's a nearby Pheasant shoot there's quite a lot of lamping and Fox shooting which goes on in the dead of night, it's not unusual to hear high powered rifles going off in the fields out back and given how dangerous they can be, we're in the habit of waving a really big, bright torch out across the fields so they know someone is wandering about. A few weeks ago doing the usual sweep across the fields with the torch I lit up what can only be described as big cats eyes, definitely not a dog (they reflect differently), there's no sheep around, they were the wrong shape for Deer, too big and too far off the ground for either Fox or Badger. I've no idea what creature it was but judging from the size of the eyes and height off the ground, it was a big one and the eyes were feline shape and colour - it wasn't a quick glimpse, I'd startled it with the torch, it stood for a good 30 seconds looking right at me before disappearing.

Posted

I haven't seen one over here, but i would love to. It is a shame that people are afraid of these animals, they are only trying to survive like any other living creature, including us. Human attacks are extremely rare in the Uk.

Has there actually been an attack on a human from big cats in the UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Has there actually been an attack on a human from big cats in the UK?

My cat (Jethro) was quite big, quite mean and really enjoyed taking chunks out of people....does that count?

I've never seen any Tiger or Panther attacks reported.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I've never heard of one, probably not unless maybe someone has been attacked at a zoo?

Posted

our cat pete is a big boy, he lets you know when he is hungry by reaching up and sticking his claws in you. he often gets his claws stuck in my belt loops and i'm 6'2"!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

All these stories and the photo of the panther made my hairs stand on end . Did they for some of you. I think they are definately out there with out a doubt. Perfectly logical.

The only thing that keeps crossing my mind is that I am regularly riding across the countryside on the horse. One day though and You never know it may only be a matter of time before I come across one. Then what on earth do we do? It would be amazing to see but not if I am sat on the back of what is instinctively it's supper.any ideas? Hopefully the suppers instinct will kick in before that and the natural reaction of flight will happen.

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I was on the summit plateau of An Dun in the Grampians a couple of years ago. It's a long, narrow table-like summit half a kilometre long. I was at one end, watching a line of 30 or so deer run over the summit at the other end. After the last one had disappeared I waited for a bit, assuming there might be more to follow.......but after 20 seconds began to turn away. At that moment something ran across the plateau, following the line the deer had just taken. It was big with a long tail.

I've seen enough foxes in the hills to know it wasn't one of those. And it was way too big to be a wildcat, plus a summit plateau isn't typical wildcat habitat, and there were no forests or woods nearby. Just open hillsides.

I've never seen anything else like it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

What is that name of that cameraman that filmed the bear family and me? He did a study with cameras looking for evidence in high up areas of the himalayas for the tiger . He got the evidence on film and it is a moving documentary. Just a thought but how wonderful if he could do the same on the British panther perhaps where there have been a pattern of sightings. Just a thought? Or would it then lead to hunters ?

Posted

All these stories and the photo of the panther made my hairs stand on end . Did they for some of you. I think they are definately out there with out a doubt. Perfectly logical.

The only thing that keeps crossing my mind is that I am regularly riding across the countryside on the horse. One day though and You never know it may only be a matter of time before I come across one. Then what on earth do we do? It would be amazing to see but not if I am sat on the back of what is instinctively it's supper.any ideas? Hopefully the suppers instinct will kick in before that and the natural reaction of flight will happen.

So long as the supper doesn't follow the part of its natural instincts that would involve throwing you before it scarpers...

What is that name of that cameraman that filmed the bear family and me? He did a study with cameras looking for evidence in high up areas of the himalayas for the tiger . He got the evidence on film and it is a moving documentary. Just a thought but how wonderful if he could do the same on the British panther perhaps where there have been a pattern of sightings. Just a thought? Or would it then lead to hunters ?

Gordon Buchanan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

There's always reports of local big cats, panthers or pumas in the local paper around here. Mostly always spotted by dog walkers in wide open spaces such as parks in the mornings.

Would like to see one, wouldn't like one to see me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Go to youtube and search for big cat funny sounds. The top video, watch it. I love that video, it's funny, cute and a little educational.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I just want to know, if they exist, why there isn't any clear pictures? Why are all pictures of these big cats, as well as Loch Ness monster, all blurred!?

Posted

I just want to know, if they exist, why there isn't any clear pictures? Why are all pictures of these big cats, as well as Loch Ness monster, all blurred!?

Well surely because by their very nature the cats aren't going to exit a woodland or dense field cover and say "here I am, zoom in and take a photo of me!" are they!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

But you would've though someone would have gotten a decent picture over the years..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

It would be nice to see something more clearer.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
It was only the past couple of million years ago the UK was still attached to continental Europe, which itself holds many exotic animals from snakes, lizards, wolves, even bears in some places.

Less than that actually, 10.000 years ago you could have walked between France and England. Incredible to think the sea eroded the narrow land point between us and Europe that quickly isn't it?

But you would've though someone would have gotten a decent picture over the years..

Indeed.

There are many pictures and video clips out there of creatures their authors claimed to be wild panthers but they are vague and inconclusive much like photos said to be of ufos or the loch ness monster, it's easy to be skeptical.

That said however the same was true of European mountain tigers for the longest time until recently when a full scale investigation and expedition was launched, eventually capturing amazing footage of these illusive creatures in the mists of the Bhutan mountains.

Edit: Here is a video by charity BigCatRescue on the BP Phenomena:

(Doesn't do much for the UK theories though)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have spent many a day up in the hill's, i do remember one day last year i set off from the North Face car park under Ben Nevis around 3am for a long slog up the Carn Mor Dearg Arete. As i hit the ridge the sun was just peaking up over the Grey Corries, there was fresh snowfall overnight and no wind at all which was welcome. I looked down at my feet and saw some large prints in the snow, larger than a fox or wild cat. The prints actualy followed the ridge line, anyway as i looked infront of me i noticed in the distance a large Brown/Black cat running down the slopes, It was larger than a fox and so were the prints i found. It was also only just getting light, It was without doubt some sort of big cat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I wouldn't be surprised if they exist. I'm surprised someone hasn't set up a camera in an area they are thought to be.

When we were doing our DofE expedition several years ago in the South Downs we came across a skeleton. It was a horse skeleton that had been totally stripped of meat apart from a little bit at the back and yo could see something had been gnawing on it. We thought it was a horse that had died of natural causes and anumals had eaten it, but then we distinctly heard the sound of a big cat growl. The same noise they make when protecting a kill. We didn't stay around for long enough to find out, we legged it.

Of course it could have been our minds playing tricks on us, but to this day I still wonder.

Posted

I live in South Wales near what use to be an old zoo. I met a guy who worked their years and years ago. It was a big old house with a bit of a zanny lady who owned it. She basically turned it into a zoo and he use to tend to the animals. He said that nearly every morning, he would turn upto work and their would be a different exotic animal which had been left outside the door anomonously. He said that they had big cats turn up as small animals and they had passed them onto big zoos on regular basis but that sometimes animal cages were left and their were no animals inside and also when the lady died, alot of the animals were just released into the wild. He said there are deffinately big cats in the vacinity from what were left all those years ago and he has seen them? don't know if this is true but he is a well respected member of the community and cannot see why he would lie. Also funnily enough my mum was in hospital a few weeks ago and an old farmer was on her ward. He was telling people how he had come accross panther like cat on his farm and how his animals had been savaged. Interesting.

Posted

The Exmoor beast and other british mystery cats.

A black panther was spotted in exmoor in 1983 killed numerous lambs.

Puma like animals,and lynx-like beasts with short tails and tufted ears.

Footprints were taken that are clearly of a big cat probably a lynx 75mm in diameter.

They are evidently escapees from captivityu,or from private homes where they have been kept as exotic pets.

For many months in 1988,ludlow,shropshire reports of seeing a large lynx like cat prowling the fields.

On 3 feb 1989 Norman evans discovered the dead body of an extraordinary animal near to his farm in Richards castle,Ludlow(I know that area well)

It had been apparently been killed by a car Felis chaus,a sizeable lynx like cat with pointed ears,tawny fur anf striped legs,which is not native to britain or europe.

It has clearly escaped from captivity,and could well of been living wild in the ludlow area for a considerable length of time.

It`s body has been preseved as a magnificent taxiderm exhibit and constitutes undeniable evidence that non-native,exotic species if wild cat are indeed living in the bristish countryside.

Other verified egs include a puma in scotland caught alive october 1980.

A leopard cup in manchester caught alive august 1975.

A black panther cub in kent caught alive January 1975.

A clouded leopard also in kent shot dead,march 1976.

A lioness in lancashire found deead in a lake may 1980.

5 asian leopard cats Isle of wight,cheshire,dartmoor and 2 in scotland,plus at least 1 other jungle cat(killed by a car in hayling island,hampshire,July 1988).

Posted

I had a very clear sighting of a big, black cat last November.

The distance between us was about 600m, but the striking thing about this encounter was the behaviour of 6 cows that were in the field the cat crossed. As soon as they sighted it, from about 300m I'd estimate, they absoluted panicked. Despite the cat showing no apparant interest in them, they all ran up to the top of the field and gathered around a telegraph pole.

By this time the cat had crossed the field and was skulking up the hedgeline, eventually getting to the top corner (which was some 200m from the cows), where it immediately went through the hedge into the woods on the other side. I probably had a good 80-90 second view of all this, but despite there being nothing really close by in the field to provide scale, it was very obvious that this cat was way to big to be a domestic moggy. Moreover it was close enough to easily be identified as a cat, it's movements were classic feline, there is no way it could have been a dog. It's tail, held slightly above the horizontal, appeared as long as it's body.

My wife and I spent at least 20 mins just talking about it, then we took the dog for a good hours walk, so by the time we returned to the car at least 1.5hrs had passed. Nothing in the field had changed tho, all 6 cows were glued to the post, it almost looked comical seeing these beasts all trying to get cover/protection from a foot wide wooden post, but that is exactly what they were doing.

Now if the cows had not reacted in such a way I might have been prepared to concede the old eyes might have let me down a bit and there may be a 1% chance that this was not a big cat, however my wife confirmed she saw exactly the same as me, so I'm 101% convince this was a genuine (but still single) sighting.

Edited by shedhead

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Well here in Cambridgeshire there is the legend of the "Fen Tiger" (Rural Cambridgeshire) but this legend dates back to the 1950's. There has been numerous "sightings" of a Black Panther (The Fen Tiger) since then:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cambridgeshire/content/articles/2008/04/02/big_cat_history_feature.shtml

http://www.bigcatsinbritain.org/englishnews369.htm

http://www.bigcatsinbritain.org/fentiger.htm

fascinating links, i didnt know these big cat sightings were the origin of the fen tiger name.