Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

DAILY CHASE ACCOUNT 120504

Guest ChaserUK

Guest ChaserUK

CHASERUK CATCHES FIRST TORNADOES!!!!!! Yes, this evening around 9 I spotted dirt kicking up off he ground and then a tornado reached to the ground. I was able to see it because of the lightning - have even managed to get a pic using the bulb setting on my camera. Also managed to catch a funnel cloud that was on the ground about 10 minutes before. Also went to a town which had just been hit by a tornado - debris everywhere. Then the sirens go off again and another tornado is sighted. We also experienced golf ball sized hail, some of which dented the cars. Lot's of rotating wall clouds and spectacult pictures to follow. Currently in a bar on wi-fi downing a glass of red wine along with Stu and his team.

Guest ChaserUK

FULL CHASE ACCOUNT

13:46

We have been travelling South towards Dodge City, Kansas for about 2.5 hours. The lack of data has been a real pain today but Dave has stated that today looks like a no-brainer for supercells. The situation seems to be evolving as we would like it too – deep moisture, decent shear, fantastic CAPE and a shortwave coming through. We might have to wait until 6pm when initiation takes place however. Temps currently 74F and DP has risen from 40F to 56F. We are however behind a stalled frontal boundary which we are passing through shortly – you can see it to our South.

15:04

Just heading out E towards Greenburg in Kiowa County, KS. Just visited the Dodge City NWS Office which was very interesting. We have their phone number and they will let us have the latest up to date information possible. All the ingredients are really coming together to make this a memorable day. Temps currently 82F with a DP of 57F and rising fast. There are now 4 chase vehicles including ours heading in the same direction.

15:29

DP now 60F and temp 86F. Just saw a rather neat dust devil in a field to our right – the second today. Hoping for a lot more than that!

16:20

Now joined up with Stu’s team in Greensburg and there are also friends of Dave’s now converging on this location. DP of 64F and Temps of 86F.

17:10

A Tornado Watch has now been issued for this area and we are going to head N to the next county where the best towers seem to be going up close to the frontal boundary.

17:50

Heading S on 183 towards a monster just going up looks like S of Greensburg – first there was nothing and then – boom! There are four vehicles in the group including our own. The updrafts look unbelievable on this thing. Target area 16 miles E of Coldwater.

18:16

Heading back N towards Greenburg again. The storm is now severe warned and looks out of this world – a great big mushroom cloud! DP has risen to 66F now which is very good indeed. There does seem to be multiple updrafts at present but these should merge into one rotating updraft. Eeek – a bird just hit our windscreen – luckily the windscreen is fine but the bird?

18:47

LARGE HAIL starting to fall – better be careful here everyone! It only lasted a few minutes but very dramatic and we all had to slow down to protect our windscreens.

18:53

Tornado Warning has just gone out on a cell to our West which is currently obscured by buildings but we did see a wall cloud developing on it. It should be coming into view shortly.

18:03

TORNADO!!! More of a funnel cloud reaching half way to the ground. Then we were pounded by large hail that sounded like someone lobbing stones at the vehicle.!

19:17

Storm to the south apparently also producing a tornado – heading S through heavy rain to intercept. Can see the storm and towers now and this thing looks HUGE.

19:25

Being pounded by more heavy rain and hailstones!! These are bigger – seeing a few GOLF ball sized hail – I would imagine these are being thrown out by the storm producing the tornado – worried that windscreen will break.

19:28

Storm out to our SE is lowing a wall cloud and Dave confirms MESO with it. Going into more large hail now – scarey stuff. Massive wallcloud just to our W at present. However after watching for some time it was clear this might not produce. Now make a another mad dash South to intercept a better looking storm. Meanwhile, the storm we are leaving behind in the hope of catching something better is looking not to bad at present.

20:11

Core punching another storm hopefully be out of this before too long – lightning crashing all over the place –awesome stuff! Dave tells us a tornado is 10 miles to our SE. We are heading NE at present.

20:25

Just heard that a town 4 miles to our S has just been hit by a tornado – heading there now

20:33

We could be in the path of a new tornado!!! Heading back to Attica and going to head West. We have lost Stu and his team somewhere back in Attica.

20:49

Biggest hail so far – really scarey wardrobe now. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT GOOD – VERY VERY LARGE HAIL.

21:00

TORNADO ON THE GROUND OUT TO OUR LEFT – DIRT KICKING UP ON THE GROUND – WE ALL PULL OVER AND WATCH – BIG FUNNEL – DIFFICULT TO SEE. STRONG TORNADO!!!

VERY SCARED NOW – WIND HOWLING ALL AROUND – WE MIGHT HAVE ANOTHER TORNADO DEVELOPING IN THE DARK SOMEWHERE – COPS WILL NOT LET US GO DOWN ROAD WHERE TORNADO CROSSED.

WE WATCH THE FUNNEL AS IT CROSSES THE ROAD IN FRONT OF US – BIG AND SCAREY – WINDS HAVE CHANGED

It was at this point I was too worried that another tornado was coming that I was not keeping records - sorry about that! Needless to say, a spectacular day today - pics to follow shortly.

Guest ChaserUK

Here is the tornado warning for the hose I spotted.....

WFUS53 KICT 130211

TORICT

KSC077-191-130315-

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WICHITA KS

910 PM CDT WED MAY 12 2004

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WICHITA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SUMNER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL KANSAS

HARPER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL KANSAS

* UNTIL 1015 PM CDT

* AT 910 PM CDT...LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS REPORTED A TORNADO 5

MILES EAST OF HARPER. RADAR SHOWED THIS TORNADIC STORM MOVING EAST

AT 15 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE

NEAR ARGONIA AROUND 930 PM CDT...

NEAR CONWAY SPRINGS AROUND 950 PM CDT...

A TORNADO IS ON THE GROUND! MOVE INTO YOUR TORNADO SHELTER NOW!

REPEATING...A TORNADO WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR SUMNER AND HARPER

COUNTIES UNTIL 1015 PM CDT.

LAT...LON 3731 9797 3720 9793 3727 9751 3743 9763

&

$$

/JAKUB

NNNN

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Souhds fun chaser,,at last you finally got one....please keep safe tho and enjoy :D

Posted

I actually feel like I was there :D ............

......The account is that good :D

Pictures will bring those feelings even more into being.

Terrific Chaser :lol:

Posted

:shock: Excellent report Chaser

I was getting closer to the screen reading it, my heart getting faster. It someone had gone "bang" behind me I would have jumped out of my skin :shock:

Keep up the reports & can't wait to see the piccies :D

Posted

Brilliant account Chaser :shock: :lol:

You had me on the edge of my seat almost reading it :lol:

Sounds absolutely fantastic..BUT very scary stuff..One hell of an experience though :D:D:wink:

Well done mate...keep up the excellent work..BUT remember to stay SAFE :lol: :wink:

Look forward to the piccies,they must be brilliant !!

Guest Phil_Uk

Blimey mate! :shock: Taking some degree of risk with core punching, but that's where all the action generally happens, don't think I'd take the risk myself. But an excellent report. And thanks for sharing it with us. :D

Phil.