Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

March CET

Posted

A tricky one this month as there are signals for warm and cold synoptics. A lot depends on the eventual positioning of the HP cell currently building around the UK, if this slips north as per the GFS 00z there is potential for a week or so to tap into the cold pool flowing south through central Europe. My reluctance to build this into my forecast is the lack of ensemble support, especially as FI has been throwing up these charts for weeks now. Also with the anomolously cold stratosphere and the PV anchored over greenland I'm going for a slightly milder than average 6.8°C.

Edited by Jack Wales

Posted

Surprisingly on face value, there have been only 8 Marches warmer than the warmest February on record for the CET ie with a CET over 7.9C

5 of those occurred since WWII. Pre 1938, February 1779 was within 0.3C of the warmest March on record at the time, 1750 with 8.2C

When you consider that the difference between February and March on average is about 2.0C, you would think there would be more warmer Marches than 7.9C

So it suggests how exceptional that February 1779 record is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Going by the 06z GFS, looks like we'll be at about 3.6C to the 7th, so a cool start to the month

Posted

Surprisingly on face value, there have been only 8 Marches warmer than the warmest February on record for the CET ie with a CET over 7.9C

5 of those occurred since WWII. Pre 1938, February 1779 was within 0.3C of the warmest March on record at the time, 1750 with 8.2C

When you consider that the difference between February and March on average is about 2.0C, you would think there would be more warmer Marches than 7.9C

So it suggests how exceptional that February 1779 record is.

I suspect its a bit of an anomoly, in a way like May 1833 - though you could say the same for March 1938 and 1957 aswell.

In all honesty looking at the records it seems quite strange that 8+C Marches are so unusual when 6C is quite easily attainable in the winter months. I suspect its because for milder March weather its still the tropical maritime setups which provide the best opportunity (especially for high minima) and sea temps are cooler then. It's balanced out towards the end of the month as warmth from solar heating becomes more possible, but such setups are usually colder by night.

Theres also the fact that historically, the current 30-year mean for March is very high. The run from 1989-2003 of well above average ones was rather out of kilter with past trends. A 7.6C March (1C above the new 1981-2010 average) would be 18th mildest in the CET series.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

10C

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

6.1c please.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

5.0C: Nigerian Prince

5.5C: North Norfolk Weather

5.6C: Terminal Moriane

6.1C: Polar Continental

6.3C: Atlantic Flamethrower

6.6C: Dr Hosking

6.7C: Aderyn Coch

6.8C: Jack Wales

6.8C: Geoffw

6.9C: Reef

7.0C: Stormmad 26

10.0C: Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

5.6C: Terminal Moriane

6.1C: Polar Continental

6.3C: Atlantic Flamethrower

6.6C: Dr Hosking

6.7C: Aderyn Coch

6.8C: Jack Wales

6.8C: Geoffw

6.9C: Reef

7.0C: Stormmad 26

10.0C: Craig Evans

SB,

This note ignores nost of the guesses on page2 after your collection up until the start of page 4.

Is there a reason for this? or have I missed them.

Its just that I don't want my guess( so accurate assessment) to go missing together with about 15 others!

MIA

Posted

SB,

This note ignores nost of the guesses on page2 after your collection up until the start of page 4.

Is there a reason for this? or have I missed them.

Its just that I don't want my guess( so accurate assessment) to go missing together with about 15 others!

MIA

Not to worry, i will compile them into one list at about 23:30. It was just easier to complie the predictions so far and also to bump the thread to get last minute predictions from people.

Posted

Looking a cold start to March with maxes suppressed in the CET zone for the first few days and some quite chilly nights - indeed many will struggle to see 8 degree maxes for most of the week - it may creep up to 10 degrees in London later in the week.

Posted

4.9C: Virtual Sphere

5.2C: Stew Fox

5.3C: Summer Of 95

5.4C: Barry

5.4C: Sundog

5.5C: Snow Rob

5.6C: Shuggee

5.6C: Termainal Moraine

5.7C: Midlands Ice Age

5.7C: Coram