Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lunar perigee - 19th March 2011

Posted

On YouTube and Alot of other sites on the net there is talk about a poleshift on march 15th !!

With all the recent earthquakes and the one in japan and all the dead fish birds it does make you wonder if there is a connection to it all Somewhere!

I never would normally believe anything like this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

On YouTube and Alot of other sites on the net there is talk about a poleshift on march 15th !!

With all the recent earthquakes and the one in japan and all the dead fish birds it does make you wonder if there is a connection to it all Somewhere!

I don't think Youtube can really be considered as a source of useful information, LS. But, it is democratic???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

The dead fish? im assuming you mean the sardines in the states? Im pretty sure that was due to a lack of oxygen after the sardines flooded a small harbour after being chased inshore.

Never know though.

The last year has been interesting. Volcanology is more my area of interest and certainly here we saw a large number of eruptions particularly in the latter part of the year so for sure things have been quite active recently.

Posted

I'm not saying that this is an accurate or even a scientific thing but once again this was forecast by this guy on December the 26th. Now it's either pot luck or there may be something more to it.

Posted

I'm not saying that this is an accurate or even a scientific thing but once again this was forecast by this guy on December the 26th. Now it's either pot luck or there may be something more to it.

Coincidences are far more common than people realise :winky:

And besides, there's a biggish earthquake somewhere or other most days.

Now, if it can be shown that every time such an alignment occurs there is a major earthquake, then I'll accept there may be something in it - as with the super moon nonsense (which is falsified as a theory by 1992)

Edited by Essan

Posted

There's zip connection between the Japanese earthquake and the supermoon. The moon goes through apogees and perigees every orbit around the earth. For there to be a connection, the earthquake has to occur at the time of the supermoon. The moon is currently about half way between perigee and apogee.

The Boxing Day 2004 quake occurred with moon close to apogee! So much for the supermoon connection there.

The media and scientific dunderheads have made more of an issue than it warrants, IMO

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Moon is out now quite high up and very normal to me.

Some cloudcover flowing past.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
Posted

There's zip connection between the Japanese earthquake and the supermoon. The moon goes through apogees and perigees every orbit around the earth. For there to be a connection, the earthquake has to occur at the time of the supermoon. The moon is currently about half way between perigee and apogee.

The Boxing Day 2004 quake occurred with moon close to apogee! So much for the supermoon connection there.

The media and scientific dunderheads have made more of an issue than it warrants, IMO

Totally agree, Too much made of what people see as cause and effect, whereas the effect has no identifiable cause

Posted

Totally agree, Too much made of what people see as cause and effect, whereas the effect has no identifiable cause

ok so extra gravitational pull on the earth has no cause.... i beg to differ

Posted

In % terms, you are talking of about 0.05%, so a a difference between 1.00 and 1.0005 depends as much on whether the system is metastable and therefor susceptible to very small changes. I didn't say it was impossible, just highly unlikely

Posted

The fact is, there is no record of major earthquakes occurring when the Moon is closest to Earth. There is absolute evidence of major earthquakes - such as yesterdays - occuring when the Moon is nowhere near closest to Earth.

On the other hand, there is strong evidence that earthquakes somewhere or other occur every time I boil my kettle ....... :o

Posted

Coincidences are far more common than people realise :winky:

And besides, there's a biggish earthquake somewhere or other most days.

I agree with what you're saying but the guy who did the Youtube stuff only forecasts magnitude 6 or greater. That size doesn't happen every day which makes it interesting. His next call is the 18th.

Posted

i agree with some posts on here regarding the supermoon theory but you have to say a week ago when they opened this thread they did warn us (somewhat) of a possible earthquake and look what happened!!!!!!!!! i mean they cant predict these quakes but this is very close to an accurate prediction!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Mag 6 quakes do happen quite frequently, the last fortnight has seen between 1 and 6 quakes of this size on any given day and not all linked to the area off east Japan.

Earthquakes of mag 6 and above however tend to take years to build up the stresses involved in that size of quake and im not sure how a passing phase of the moon would influence what was going to take place anyway.

Posted

i agree with some posts on here regarding the supermoon theory but you have to say a week ago when they opened this thread they did warn us (somewhat) of a possible earthquake and look what happened!!!!!!!!! i mean they cant predict these quakes but this is very close to an accurate prediction!

Earthquakes happen everyday. There are numerous tremors in the UK alone every year that never get reported. The odds are that at least one of these will be 6 or above are fairly high.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Mag 6 quakes do happen quite frequently, the last fortnight has seen between 1 and 6 quakes of this size on any given day and not all linked to the area off east Japan.

Earthquakes of mag 6 and above however tend to take years to build up the stresses involved in that size of quake and im not sure how a passing phase of the moon would influence what was going to take place anyway.

The following link would suggest that mag 6 is not as common as you would think. Aftershocks aren't included but if they were, I'd agree with you.

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/qed/

Posted

And there's the point: how does a passing phase of the moon influence earthquakes occurring at a different phase of the moon?

It's like arguing that your toothache today is caused by drinking cola even though you haven't drunk any cola ....... and offering the fact that you were going to drink some cola next week as proof.

Posted

And there's the point: how does a passing phase of the moon influence earthquakes occurring at a different phase of the moon?

How does a photon appear in two places simultaneously? That doesn't make sense either but it happens...

I think it's to do with the gravity of the sun/moon alignment and how it pulls on the earth's crust but I'm probably talking twaddle....

Posted

Is there any evidence for any statistical clumping of earthquakes happening at times of 'supermoon' events?? Anecdotes and vacuous claims are very hard to analyze, scientifically...

And with that pretentious statement, I'm off to count the faeries at the bottom of my garden! :lol:

Posted

They expect another earthquake to hit japan in the next few days and thats on the news,

so the moon may well having something to to with this,it is very high in the sky now.

Posted

Well at least its looking good for this weekend for viewing with high pressure in charge.

Posted

They expect another earthquake to hit japan in the next few days and thats on the news,

so the moon may well having something to to with this,it is very high in the sky now.

Then there should be some supporting evidence of (at least) a correlation...