Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lunar perigee - 19th March 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The moon's been closer than it will be in a few days anyway. Nothing to worry about. :p

Posted

I've just been trying to look for some balance and scientific evidence either way on the web. Unfortunately everything that comes up on the web browser when you enter 'lunar perigree 2011' is Moonagedon so I guess we won't know what, if anything, is likely to happen until Saturday?

Posted

I dont get if. What does that video show?

Posted

It shows that the video posted by Potty (and I'm not saying he endorsed it) was utter crap of the highest order! What it didn't mention though (and the bloke had probably lost the will to live by then) is that the chances of an "alignment" of any three planets, one of which is Mecury, having any affect on anything is pretty much nil. There are people in Carlisle who have more gravitational influence than Mercury, and they're not 100s of millions of miles away from each other.

I utterly despair at how many self-proclaimed experts have arisen since the dawn of the internet. It seems to me that the world wide web doesn't so much allow everyone to share knowledge, but more allows the gullible and stupid to be led by the moronic and ignorant...present company excepted.....in the main.

Posted

It shows that the video posted by Potty (and I'm not saying he endorsed it) was utter crap of the highest order! What it didn't mention though (and the bloke had probably lost the will to live by then) is that the chances of an "alignment" of any three planets, one of which is Mecury, having any affect on anything is pretty much nil. There are people in Carlisle who have more gravitational influence than Mercury, and they're not 100s of millions of miles away from each other.

I utterly despair at how many self-proclaimed experts have arisen since the dawn of the internet. It seems to me that the world wide web doesn't so much allow everyone to share knowledge, but more allows the gullible and stupid to be led by the moronic and ignorant...present company excepted.....in the main.

Thanks OON. By effects on something was he referring to the moon hitting us? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Dammit! I was really hoping that moon would be locked in a decaying orbit & would impact the earth in the next couple of days, due to the fact that I'm fresh out of mature cheddar (think about it!)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Dammit! I was really hoping that moon would be locked in a decaying orbit & would impact the earth in the next couple of days, due to the fact that I'm fresh out of mature cheddar (think about it!)

I understood that it was made from Camembert...(according to Wallace and Gromit..!!) Lot less destruction with a soft cheese than an ole maturing cheddar..

Posted

It shows that the video posted by Potty (and I'm not saying he endorsed it) was utter crap of the highest order!

Correct.. I didn't endorse it, I just said it was interesting. It took me a whole 10 minutes to reach that conclusion after watching the first few clips, such is my want to learn the subject in any depth.

I agree with what Pete says. There is very little correlation to support supermoon theories. That doesn't mean to say that there isn't any connection, just that we don't understand it if there is.

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

For me the most dramatic thing that will happen with this Supermoon is lower than usual tides, as a fisherman I will be down the beach collecting bait from ground that never usually sees the fresh air and plotting the beach for features that may attract fish!

Posted

The only chaos the weather is is too much damn low cloud and and fog mist all the time.

I have found a great live earthquake site but I won`t post it as it might scare you.

Posted

Beautiful clear sky and a superb gibbous moon shining tonight. Hope it's still clear on the 19th.

Posted

will the moon even look that much bigger on the 19th?

Not sure many people will notice the difference to be honest. You may perceptibly notice a difference but far too much is been given to this occurrence on the wires, IMO. The only relevenance to these events if they coincide with eclipses and possibly oceanic tides as well.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Looks like a good opportunity to take a walk down at Pevensey Bay with the tide being out so far anyway (before the world ends of course!).

Posted

The moon seems very big in the sky at the minute, or is it always big when it's rising?

I can't remember.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Yikes it's very bright tonight!

Lighting up the whole garden. Will be stunning tomorrow, especially with that extra 30% brightness. A really good night for star gazing.

As for all the disasters predicted by useless papers, it's a load of crap IMO.

Posted

Yikes it's very bright tonight!

Lighting up the whole garden. Will be stunning tomorrow, especially with that extra 30% brightness. A really good night for star gazing.

As for all the disasters predicted by useless papers, it's a load of crap IMO.

A good night for Moon gazing, yes, depending on what aspects of the Moon you're interested in observing. Stargazing no; it'll drown 'em out over much of the sky.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Doesn't look like a clear night tonight according to Darren Betts this morning, mist and fog coming through like the early hours today. I'm going to keep an eye out anyway.

Posted

Yep. Forecast changed. Looks cloudy for many. :(

Posted

The Moon is closest to Earth during the UK early evening and the moon will be rising from the east, so there are chances of seeing this. So it doesn't have to be completely clear all night, it will be more dramatic at moonrise rather than higher up anyway.

Edited by Mr_Data